Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you miss about the Goldstone

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
glasfryn said:
having to hold onto my daughters stool ,while she drooled over harry wilson.

she was 9 years old.

that is so disgusting ... hope you washed your hands before tea

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strolling into the West stand, somewhere between 3 & five past, straight to our 'usual' spot, which was always clear.
Admittedly I wouldn't have wanted to stand near us, either.

Evening games.

& 'waa-waa-waa' bloke, who'd always be next to the dug out, imparting what was I'm sure would have been helpful advise. If anybody could understand him.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The Sportsman at Hove Station and then walking, sorry staggering across Hove Station Bridge, pass the Plumb Center and then seeing The Goldstone!!

:drink: :clap2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
brightonfan_86 said:
Sitting behind the goal, and walking towards the Goldstone from Old Shoreham Road.

and your mothers seat collpasing:lolol:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not having to buy a ticket & being able to actually stand next to the people you go to the game with.

Night games; Frankie Howard supervising the watering of the pitch prior to the game so that it was nice & greasy for Peter Ward.

Having a choice of pubs near to the ground.

Tony Towner skinning 'em down the wing.

The North Stand.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Being able to go in the North stand and generally have a good time swearing, shouting, cheering, jumping around, crowd surging, etc without any fear of being chucked out by jobsworth stewards or be videoed for 90mins by the plod.

The Northstand had more atmosphere in one game then Withdean will ever have in a whole season.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I miss working there, I used to steward the away fans and had some great times there. Also miss the whole "getting up in the morning and deciding to go to the game" thing. Oh and drinking with the players before the game in the Hove Park Tavern - I remember Having a couple with Mark Ormerod before that infamous 4-4 draw with Orient, dont think he was drinking the hard stuff though. :( I cant wait for Falmer but it will never match the Goldstone. When you grow through your childhood and into adulthood going to a place like that every week I doubt the feeling can ever be matched later on in life.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
On the Left Wing said:
also running past the ground on school cross country runs .... the only bit of the agonising winter sport at Hove County Grammar that was enjoyable [/QUOTE

Being able to look out of the window of the girls County Grammar and see the floodlights.
Paying at the turnstile and terracing.

Simster said:
Ah but I prefer to remember the mid '80s when you could guess whether it was going to be 13,000 or 18,000 depending on the population of the East terrace - which you could see as you strolled down OLD SHOREHAM ROAD.

Ah but I prefer to remember the mid-late '70s when you could guess whether it was going to be 27,000 or 33,000 depending on the population of the East terrace - which you could see as you strolled down OLD SHOREHAM ROAD -

oh and you had to get into the ground by 1.00pm to get your favourite sport (just underneath the old white wooden Radio Brighton commentary cabin perched on the NW terrace:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

withdeanwombat said:
Strewth!You had it easy.When i was there it was up through the copse to yhr top of Snakey Hill,then down and along past the Nevil (Arms?) and back in via Frant Road.

When you grew up you had to walk up Snakey Hill,where the run would go down to Waterhall,then back up alongside the golf course returning to the start along Devil's Dyke Road.

Now,that was a cross country!

We will never see its like again.

(blows nose,wipes eyes.Be strong......be strong!)

and then that eveil b@@@@d Geoff garland would put down his cream cake and send you round again

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
the smell of the North Stand during a winter night game ... a sort of mix of sweat, Bovril and cigarette smoke

I can smell it now and really miss it. The curry sauce and chips smell at Withdean doesn't come close.

My parents house was in Old Shoreham Road and I miss the 5 minute walk. I would time my departure based on the numbers of people walking down the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here