Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Pub Debate - Weatherspoons

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You’re terribly snobby sometimes you know.
Moi?

Ha! I’m only ribbing .

Myself and my mates often have a spoons breakfast before a good walk.

I don’t drink in them usually, though a few are nice but that’s just personal taste. I like a dimly lit, wood beamed bar with half dead pig in the corner and suspicious locals.

As for its reputation, if I may indulge a mention of my work, I work in the city centre on an operation specifically focusing on serious violent crime and violence against women and girls in the night time economy. Wetherspoons on West St is definitely up there with the LEAST troublesome venues in the city.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Moi?

Ha! I’m only ribbing .

Myself and my mates often have a spoons breakfast before a good walk.

I don’t drink in them usually, though a few are nice but that’s just personal taste. I like a dimly lit, wood beamed bar with half dead pig in the corner and suspicious locals.

As for its reputation, if I may indulge a mention of my work, I work in the city centre on an operation specifically focusing on serious violent crime and violence against women and girls in the night time economy. Wetherspoons on West St is definitely up there with the LEAST troublesome venues in the city.
Is that because only blokes drink there?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't get the Wetherspoons hate.

Cheap and cheerful.Often quite nice buildings.
Clientele might be a bit dodgy, but that can be true in any pub.
The one in my town is a magnet for absolute weapons on their 40s and 50s. That's my only issue.

(And the owner, who is too Brexitty for me).

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
We haven’t been there as a family for a few years, but The Wetherspoons in London are a godsend if you want a basic but not too expensive lunch ( ie less than £30 per head) if you have a day out in London. For me, the place to go was always Crosse Keys in the City. A beautiful old Banking Hall, built for City drinkers during the week but always with lots of room at the weekend. Beats an overpriced “genuine” Italian any day.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We haven’t been there as a family for a few years, but The Wetherspoons in London are a godsend if you want a basic but not too expensive lunch ( ie less than £30 per head) if you have a day out in London. For me, the place to go was always Crosse Keys in the City. A beautiful old Banking Hall, built for City drinkers during the week but always with lots of room at the weekend. Beats an overpriced “genuine” Italian any day.
The Templar is a gorgeous pub too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Often our pub of choice when I worked in Lombard Street. It’s stunning inside.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
In times of austerity, uncertainty and political upheaval the poor and the bewildered will always turn to the P’s & Q’s.

And that’s where ‘spoons steps in.

It’s essentially a soup kitchen with a bar.
Spoons in Swindon - The Savoy - is to be listed in the CAMRA 2025 Good Beer Guide, citing the great range of beers, the great service and the overall atmosphere. The Godfrey Morgan in Newport is another fantastic pub with a fab all day breakfast for two, including a pint of Rev James and a Coors for £11.19!! A lot cheaper, and better than Celtic Manor two miles up the road. I don't understand why Spoons are derided so much. Great for what they are. Some are better than others, just like most things in life.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Spoons in Swindon - The Savoy - is to be listed in the CAMRA 2025 Good Beer Guide, citing the great range of beers, the great service and the overall atmosphere. The Godfrey Morgan in Newport is another fantastic pub with a fab all day breakfast for two, including a pint of Rev James and a Coors for £11.19!! A lot cheaper, and better than Celtic Manor two miles up the road. I don't understand why Spoons are derided so much. Great for what they are. Some are better than others, just like most things in life.
Spoons is derided because it is owned by a **** …. Not difficult.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Spoons is derided because it is owned by a **** …. Not difficult.
Then it becomes a simple matter of priorities. Just how much do you want cheap decent beer and cheap simple grub in the centre of town? If you'd rather pay double but get to feel all holy and virtuous at the same time, go elsewhere. Just make sure you quiz the owner first to make sure he votes the same way as you — if that really is so important to you.

I’m not often in Eastbourne in the evening but the Cornfield, just near the station, has been absolutely fine whenever I’ve popped in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here