Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Pub Debate - Weatherspoons

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Just wondering how many people who don't drink in spoons purely because of Tim Martin's political beliefs, or their apparent poor staffing practices are content with drinking at Brewdog pubs or drinking Brewdog beer? A company run by someone who frequently jerks off with the who's who of British right wing politics and treats his staff like shit, including many reports by female staff regarding sexual harassment?

At least with Martin there's little pretense

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Delighted to see this thread bounced - it's perfect timing to advertise Wetherspoon's Beer Festival which starts this Wednesday.

A range of 30 real ales, including 5 from international brewers, will be available during the 12-day beer festival.

The festival will run from Wednesday 9 October to Sunday 20 October inclusive.

The overseas brewers are from Japan, Canada, New Zealand and two from the USA.

The festival will include a number of beers not previously available at Wetherspoon.

Among the festival collection are vegan (also suitable for vegetarians) beers.

As well as featuring a range of different malt and hop varieties from around the world, there are also beers that include coffee and fruit in their ingredients.

The international beers are Red Racer Session (Central City Brewery, Canada), Dinner Ale (Townshend Brewery, New Zealand), Orihime Pale Ale (Ishii Brewing, Japan), Who Dat (Urban South Brewery, USA), All Dog Alert (Yazoo Brewing, USA).

The festival line-up also includes Born to be Mild (Conwy Brewery), Sun Lounger (Fyne Ales Brewery), Salem Session (Batemans Brewery), Mango in the Night (Rudgate Brewery), Sapphire Spoon (Titanic Brewery), Banoffee Pie Golden Ale (Maxim Brewery), The Gloaming (Loch Lomond Brewery).

Three third-of-a-pint tasters will also be available for the price of a pint.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What makes me laugh though is how right this second, they are almost definitely supporting loads of people whose politics they disagree with.

For example, using electricity? You’re supporting people who are using fossil fuels to power things, contributing to the deleterious effect on our planet. That computer or smartphone you bought to type a reply, that was almost definitely made with components sourced and fabricated using unethical labour, almost definitely by a foreign state such as China.

If you flip it, by buying a smartphone, you are “supporting” child slavery and the people who control it.

Everything is owned by someone and any protest or boycott made against a company because the owner isn’t to one’s liking is solely performative. And that’s absolutely within everyone’s rights.
This reads like it’s straight from a sixth form debating society. Do you expect us all to live off-grid in caves?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t know, I think it’s a fairly tight examination of hypocrisy.
I think Tim Martin’s a Brexit bell-end and I don’t go to his pubs but as I use electricity I’m a hypocrite. Right oh.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think Tim Martin’s a Brexit bell-end and I don’t go to his pubs but as I use electricity I’m a hypocrite. Right oh.
I’m saying it’s performative, ethics are set within self-defined boundaries of what is right and wrong. Everyone is entitled to do so, but the realities are that everything we do is benefitting someone, most of which aren’t people we are likely to agree with on everything, including politics and ethics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m saying it’s performative, ethics are set within self-defined boundaries of what is right and wrong. Everyone is entitled to do so, but the realities are that everything we do is benefitting someone, most of which aren’t people we are likely to agree with on everything, including politics and ethics.
You are correct in that I most likely do not agree with everyone on everything. But where your argument falls down is that we all draw a line with who is acceptable and who isn’t. So the reality isn’t “most of what we do is benefiting someone we dislike.” Far from it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Just wondering how many people who don't drink in spoons purely because of Tim Martin's political beliefs, or their apparent poor staffing practices are content with drinking at Brewdog pubs or drinking Brewdog beer? A company run by someone who frequently jerks off with the who's who of British right wing politics and treats his staff like shit, including many reports by female staff regarding sexual harassment?

At least with Martin there's little pretense
Don’t drink Brewdog for these very reasons. Martin is very open about his views, whereas brewdog try and play the hipster card.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I haven't been in a Wetherspoons for years.

Maybe they have changed in that time but I couldn't stand the sticky floors and lack of music.
No sticky floors in the 'spoons I visit and no music is one of the reasons to go there, you can sit and talk to people without having to shout.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
FB_IMG_1729322084252.jpg

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I don’t know, I think it’s a fairly tight examination of hypocrisy.
Not really.

The difference being most places owner keep their politics to themselves. Wetherspoons has previously had Brexit propaganda in their pubs due to their owner.

I do not align with the owner's views and he openly promotes them in his pubs, why would I frequent those places?

Your whole post has this type of energy

1729331345897.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No sticky floors in the 'spoons I visit and no music is one of the reasons to go there, you can sit and talk to people without having to shout.
Talk to other ‘spoons punters…..quite possibly worse than the out-of-date beer and microwaved meals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In Spoons at Newcastle for pre-match pint costing £1.79 a pint. Not sure where else will get that
This is what is so great about travel, it allows you to sample different culture

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not really.

The difference being most places owner keep their politics to themselves. Wetherspoons has previously had Brexit propaganda in their pubs due to their owner.

I do not align with the owner's views and he openly promotes them in his pubs, why would I frequent those places?

View attachment 190513

That's exactly the meme that came to mind when I was reading the posts above.

Skuller

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2017
Not really.

View attachment 190513
So, essentially, you don’t mind what the views of the owners are (or you’d have to check before going into any pub) but you object to hearing his views. Always had problems with free speech?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here