Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Pub Debate - Weatherspoons

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We haven’t been there as a family for a few years, but The Wetherspoons in London are a godsend if you want a basic but not too expensive lunch ( ie less than £30 per head) if you have a day out in London. For me, the place to go was always Crosse Keys in the City. A beautiful old Banking Hall, built for City drinkers during the week but always with lots of room at the weekend. Beats an overpriced “genuine” Italian any day.
Yep, often frequented The Cross Keys back in the day. There is a really good Spoons in Canary Wharf too.

As for the concept, well they have their place and frankly my two student kids always go to our local spoons to meet friends in the evening. Not surprising really, given the prices. Personally I occasionally use them for cheap food and a quick pint - twice this year.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I go to 'spoons for a coffee and wifi now and again and as a meeting point for friends (sorry - singular 'friend'). In the
mornings they seem frequented by three types: construction workers having a breakfast break; older people who I guess are looking
for somewhere warm and friendly - and good luck to them; highly intelligent people observers like myself ;)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm guessing here but I suspect the brewers also sign the contracts.
I think you misread the implication of my post.

These long contracts are brilliant for Wetherspoons, their punters AND the breweries or brands. I think they are a good thing.

The ‘outrageous’ bit refers to Wetherspoons competition. They can never ever compete on price. Fortunately, because of the owner, Wetherspoons are aimed at a certain demographic meaning that other licensed premises can compete very effectively on things other than price.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Personally Wetherspoons is on my list of companies I will not use
There are plenty of companies I don’t use based on poor experience with customer service, bad value, limited range of products etc. The politics of the owner doesn’t come into it. I almost never know who the owners are or what they think. I suspect that most successful business owners are probably Tories but it’s of no great interest when I’m trying to buy a good product or service.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
There are plenty of companies I don’t use based on poor experience with customer service, bad value, limited range of products etc. The politics of the owner doesn’t come into it. I almost never know who the owners are or what they think. I suspect that most successful business owners are probably Tories but it’s of no great interest when I’m trying to buy a good product or service.
Not frequenting somewhere because of the politics of the owner seems absurd to me, as you’d need to check the political persuasion of landlords at every pub to stay morally consistent.

How about sainsburys, the biggest shareholder of which is a Qatari government investment fund. Qatar criminalises being gay and the persecution is severe. Will the same people boycott sainsburys on ethical grounds…or will they not, because the politics of the owners aren’t as publicly advertised?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Then it becomes a simple matter of priorities. Just how much do you want cheap decent beer and cheap simple grub in the centre of town? If you'd rather pay double but get to feel all holy and virtuous at the same time, go elsewhere. Just make sure you quiz the owner first to make sure he votes the same way as you — if that really is so important to you.

I’m not often in Eastbourne in the evening but the Cornfield, just near the station, has been absolutely fine whenever I’ve popped in.
the question was along the lines of “Spoons is great value for money (it is) so why do people slag it off?”. The answer is because the owner is a ‘****’ as it can’t be anything else. There is nothing all holy or virtuous about. He treats his staff poorly and thinks the world is about him.

I’ve drunk in a few Spoons (lunchtime, early evening) and it’s been fine, my only issue is the evening where the arsehole count goes up proportionally more than you would expect.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
How many big companies are owned by jolly nice chaps everyone loves?!
Not many but few go out of their way to act like a ****. A Brexiteer who then whinged post Brexit because he didn’t get what he wanted (more tax breaks, less regulation), throw his staff under a bus during Covid and blames others when things go wrong.
i judge people by the company they keep ….

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I think you misread the implication of my post.

These long contracts are brilliant for Wetherspoons, their punters AND the breweries or brands. I think they are a good thing.

The ‘outrageous’ bit refers to Wetherspoons competition. They can never ever compete on price. Fortunately, because of the owner, Wetherspoons are aimed at a certain demographic meaning that other licensed premises can compete very effectively on things other than price.
I did, thanks for clarifying.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The ground staff were treated rather appallingly during Covid though. Nice he’s finally acknowledging them although a cynic would suggest it’s a sweeter because of the staffing issues he’s subsequently had.

There’s clearly money to be made in microwaved meals and out of date beer.

Not many but few go out of their way to act like a ****. A Brexiteer who then whinged post Brexit because he didn’t get what he wanted (more tax breaks, less regulation), throw his staff under a bus during Covid and blames others when things go wrong.
i judge people by the company they keep ….

And yet another urban myth - this time about his staff. Maybe read the leftie newspaper article that sets the matter straight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And yet another urban myth - this time about his staff. Maybe read the leftie newspaper article that sets the matter straight.

They’re merely quoting Tim Martin and his propaganda. The Guardian isn’t setting the record straight at all, just quoting him. He denies “abandoning” his staff, of course he does. Their union saw saw it quite differently.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
They’re merely quoting Tim Martin and his propaganda. The Guardian isn’t setting the record straight. He denies “abandoning” his staff, of course he does. Their union saw saw it quite differently.

Alright....'Independently' https://otp.tools.investis.com/clie.../regulatory-story.aspx?cid=236&newsid=1748748

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I’ll think you find he changed his tune after getting pelters from the press. Initially he was going to sack them and it was a case of tough shit kids!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a very nuanced statement, probably quite deliberately. But he has not denied his earlier position and the position which was changed only after pressure from the public, unions, allegedly the government and probably his own board and shareholders.

As for your links…..He denied making the Tesco quote, fine. I’m not challenging this. He also asked the press to state “staff were paid by Wetherspoon up until the point of pub closures, after which staff received furlough pay on an uninterrupted basis without any delay to payment.” . Also Fine, I’m not challenging this.

No where, to my knowledge, has he denied his earlier position on laying staff off during Covid.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't like the owners politics.

But on the occasions i'm meeting up for a couple of pints and a cheap lunch/dinner, Spoons hits the spot.

There are increasingly few options in the same price bracket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ll think you find he changed his tune after getting pelters from the press. Initially he was going to sack them and it was a case of tough shit kids!
This.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Everyone has the right to choose wherever they want to shop/eat etc. If someone doesn’t want to directly support an owner because of their politics, that’s fine.

What makes me laugh though is how right this second, they are almost definitely supporting loads of people whose politics they disagree with.

For example, using electricity? You’re supporting people who are using fossil fuels to power things, contributing to the deleterious effect on our planet. That computer or smartphone you bought to type a reply, that was almost definitely made with components sourced and fabricated using unethical labour, almost definitely by a foreign state such as China.

If you flip it, by buying a smartphone, you are “supporting” child slavery and the people who control it.

Everything is owned by someone and any protest or boycott made against a company because the owner isn’t to one’s liking is solely performative. And that’s absolutely within everyone’s rights.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i recall he said openly what many companies just kept quiet about: shutting the business meant no money coming in, so staff wont be paid. ever heard of a business close indefinitely keeping their staff on? i think he spoke not believing government would do furlough, and days later it was all sorted.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here