Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I agree. Even if the UK spent close to 2% of the gross national income on ending slavery throughout the world. the people whose distant ancestors were slaves would still be demanding more. We know that, because that's what the British Empire did in the first half of the 19th century, not only to abolish slavery in the Empire, but also around the world.

We should apologise to any surviving slaves and perhaps their children, but the rest is history.
From a British point of view slavery was abolished 1807, and the final slaves in the colonies were freed in 1838. Good luck finding anyone to apologise to.

There is nobody alive today who can demonstrate that their life is worse because of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, which the British Empire forced an end to by going against the international law of the time by using the Royal Navy to physically intervene and stop it.

So, I'm with Starmer, better to help deal with the real problems of now.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What are Gen X’s like, do you recruit in that age group?
Only for someone who would have a lot of experience in what we do, most of which have their own companies by now and wouldn’t want to work for us. They aren’t going to take an entry level role.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree. It can do, but it can also do the opposite. I've interviewed so many Grads and said "Why did you go to Uni, and why did you choose to study xxx?" A large proportion of them pretty much say they didn't know what else to do. Staying in education is the easy option for many people.
I guess I fall into this category. The sole reason I went to university was to move to London. When I was 15 I visited an older friend at uni in the smoke and liked the idea the government would pay for me to move to there; they'd fund my accomodation and give me spending money. Bingo! I only chose my subject because it was the one I was best at and therefore gave me the best chance of getting to London. When I graduated I had no idea what I wanted to do either. That said, I did apply myself; I had to. There is no way I could learn new things and get a decent grade. This must also be the case for most people?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
From a British point of view slavery was abolished 1807, and the final slaves in the colonies were freed in 1838. Good luck finding anyone to apologise to.

There is nobody alive today who can demonstrate that their life is worse because of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, which the British Empire forced an end to by going against the international law of the time by using the Royal Navy to physically intervene and stop it.

that's a good point. i believe GDP per capita in Caribbean is higher than most African nations, so arguable they are better off. the notion of reparation is so fraught with problems, who'd be eligable, who'd pay, i'm convinced it's only raised by people who want to stir up contention.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I guess I fall into this category. The sole reason I went to university was to move to London. When I was 15 I visited an older friend at uni in the smoke and liked the idea the government would pay for me to move to there; they'd fund my accomodation and give me spending money. Bingo! I only chose my subject because it was the one I was best at and therefore gave me the best chance of getting to London. When I graduated I had no idea what I wanted to do either. That said, I did apply myself; I had to. There is no way I could learn new things and get a decent grade. This must also be the case for most people?
I think that's a perfectly good reason for going to Uni. But I don't think it shows that you were somebody who would apply yourself- the fact that you did isn't necessarily relevant to the fact that you went.

I'm the opposite, I never considered going to Uni because I didn't like the idea of having to do a load more hard work. Had I known it was going to be necking 50p WKDs on a Tuesday night and smoking weed all day I would probably have gone.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You see the Conservative Government wasn’t all bad HT 😉

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

I don't think there was ever an apology for the estimated 1 million to 2.5 million European (mostly women and children) kidnapped and sold into North Africa.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Or maybe that should say: Chancellor changes the rules so she can spend shitloads of money we don't have.
Also from that:

The chancellor cited top economists as backing the move including Mark Carney and Andrew Haldane, as well as former Conservative Treasury minister Jim O’Neill.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
that's a good point. i believe GDP per capita in Caribbean is higher than most African nations, so arguable they are better off. the notion of reparation is so fraught with problems, who'd be eligable, who'd pay, i'm convinced it's only raised by people who want to stir up contention.
And of course the Caribbean was just a staging point for many slaves from Africa as from there on they would be sold on and transported to the USA . So perhaps the descendants of the trade in the USA have a claim on the UK government for reparation payments also .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You see the Conservative Government wasn’t all bad HT 😉
And it was the Labour Party which introduced paying tuition fees which I strongly disagree with.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Or maybe that should say: Chancellor changes the rules so she can spend shitloads of money we don't have.
But it was okay for your beloved Tory party to TRIPLE the national debt whilst in power?

The Tories have always been the party of borrow and not pay back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think that's a perfectly good reason for going to Uni. But I don't think it shows that you were somebody who would apply yourself- the fact that you did isn't necessarily relevant to the fact that you went.
I agree. The simple act of going to university isn’t a marker for applying oneself, I saw plenty of slackers. Coming out the other end with a decent qualification is though. You need to apply yourself to get a half decent grade.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Beloved is stretching it... and this is about the Labour Party. Can you imagine the furore from the opposition benches if the Tories had moved the goalposts like this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Beloved is stretching it... and this is about the Labour Party. Can you imagine the furore from the opposition benches if the Tories had moved the goalposts like this?
I can’t speak for the benches BUT I can tell you I have always been a fan of borrowing to fund infrastructure investment. If you scroll through this site you’ll find posts from me criticizing Cameron and Osborne for wasting an opportunity and not spending during the credit crunch.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

Read they are trying to get £1m per person living in the Caribbean!!!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I agree. The simple act of going to university isn’t a marker for applying oneself, I saw plenty of slackers. Coming out the other end with a decent qualification is though. You need to apply yourself to get a half decent grade.
Isn’t it in the Uni’s best interests for it’s students to get high grades?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can’t speak for the benches BUT I can tell you I have always been a fan of borrowing to fund infrastructure investment. If you scroll through this site you’ll find posts from me criticizing Cameron and Osborne for wasting an opportunity and not spending during the credit crunch.

Shame Brown and Blair went for the benighted PFI quick fixes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here