Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Or maybe that should say: Chancellor changes the rules so she can spend shitloads of money we don't have.
Another way of looking at this is to turn back to 1945. As with the 2024 iteration, the government were confronted with massive debt left by the previous administration. We can forgive it though because government debt was at 250% of GDP. And yet the best government this country has ever had went on a spending spree, buying up utilities, providing the safety net via the welfare state, and nationalising healthcare to produce the cherished NHS.
This led to a high growth regime and rising real wages for workers which led to the fall of national debt such that it fell below 100% of GDP by the 1960s. If you've been paying attention, government debt has recently surpassed that figure -- and that's pretty much thanks to the Tories inability to run the economy, and all their nonsense about austerity, Brexit, hostility to planning, etc.

And still they pipe on about how they are the party to trust with the economy. If there weren't so many that believed that steaming pile of :poop: it'd be laughable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
that's a good point. i believe GDP per capita in Caribbean is higher than most African nations, so arguable they are better off. the notion of reparation is so fraught with problems, who'd be eligable, who'd pay, i'm convinced it's only raised by people who want to stir up contention.
Few years ago when it was first raised letters in the Daily Gleaner (Jamaican paper) there were some who called for reparations saying they were entitled as Jews had been paid it by Germany!! Others made exactly your point, they were lucky not to be still in Africa.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wow, the credit card will take a further battering under Labour, who'd have thunk it?
Yep. I think we could probably balance the books by:

a) rejoining the EU and
b) raising taxes

What say ye?

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Our fiscal rules are non-negotiable and will apply to every decision that a labour government takes.

However we will change these rules whenever we want so that we can still apply them to every decision a labour government takes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yep. I think we could probably balance the books by:

a) rejoining the EU and
b) raising taxes

What say ye?
The Government needs among many things to go after the rich and one other example would be people like Contractors working outside IR35, i think the previous admin bottled it, What say ye? The rich, the non doms, big corporations and those sneaky fuckers who work outside IR35 for the same company time and time again ?

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Another way of looking at this is to turn back to 1945. As with the 2024 iteration, the government were confronted with massive debt left by the previous administration. We can forgive it though because government debt was at 250% of GDP. And yet the best government this country has ever had went on a spending spree, buying up utilities, providing the safety net via the welfare state, and nationalising healthcare to produce the cherished NHS.
This led to a high growth regime and rising real wages for workers which led to the fall of national debt such that it fell below 100% of GDP by the 1960s. If you've been paying attention, government debt has recently surpassed that figure -- and that's pretty much thanks to the Tories inability to run the economy, and all their nonsense about austerity, Brexit, hostility to planning, etc.

And still they pipe on about how they are the party to trust with the economy. If there weren't so many that believed that steaming pile of :poop: it'd be laughable.
That's a great summary. Where to make the investments now in a very different world without undoing the good things is the difficult part? I hope it's not another few miles of HS2, we may know more next week. It also reads close to the 2019 manifesto and some definitely didn't like that. I don't think our world has the same idea of collective purpose as existed then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Government needs among many things to go after the rich and one other example would be people like Contractors working outside IR35, i think the previous admin bottled it, What say ye? The rich, the non doms, big corporations and those sneaky fuckers who work outside IR35 for the same company time and time again ?
The IR35 laws are unworkable in my opinion. Germany has a far simpler rule whereby freelancers/contractors etc cannot have all of their income from one client in a financial year. There isn’t a definite split but a test case put this at having at least two clients with the lesser client contributing at least 20% of income.

IR35 arguments always seem to center around wording in the contract. Here they just look at where the income has come, the only area of discussion is when companies are not at arms length from each other.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But it was okay for your beloved Tory party to TRIPLE the national debt whilst in power?

The Tories have always been the party of borrow and not pay back.

that happens when you dont really cut spending. odd point to make in response to debt increasing at faster rate.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The IR35 laws are unworkable in my opinion. Germany has a far simpler rule whereby freelancers/contractors etc cannot have all of their income from one client in a financial year. There isn’t a definite split but a test case put this at having at least two clients with the lesser client contributing at least 20% of income.
Or make them work inside IR35, simples

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
that happens when you dont really cut spending. odd point to make in response to debt increasing at faster rate.
I’m not I understand. The Tories did cut spending.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A family member owns his own recruitment company in Brighton and reports the same thing, his company has taken the same approach as yourself in trying to get as many overseas people on the books as possible - the hassle locals bring isn't worth it half the time.

I've seen first hand how someone who was "desperate " for a job get angry as they were expected to go in the office 2 days a week for a potential job.
Maybe bring back days when Argus had 5 pages of jobs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here