Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If by ‘stumbled across a lucky break’ you mean working in an industry for 17 years building up a skill, a reputation and a network, making contacts and expanding knowledge and experience, then finding the right investor and being brave enough to take the plunge and walk away from a well paid job with a young family, spending 2 years working 12 hour days trying to get a start-up off the ground whilst consistently flirting with bankruptcy, before finally turning a corner and then 12 months later being hit with a once in a generation pandemic that would have finished us off had it not been for the furlough scheme, then after scraping through that managing to put two years of growth together enabling us to aggressively hire 30-40 young people over the next two years, most of who were utterly incapable despite the hours and hours of training and development we put into them, before the whole thing falling apart again in 2023 due to investors pulling their money out of US Biotech, meaning having to make 20 people redundant in a day and then systematically cutting 2-3 people a month for the whole of last year, leaving us days from bankruptcy again at the start of 2024, before the market finally rallying and us scraping through all of this year with red numbers until eventually things seem to have stabilised just enough for us to finally start to think about growing again, and being nervous about going down the same route as before, then yes, it was an incredibly lucky break.

I mean, I’m not sure I’ve ever been offended on NSC before, but that was pretty bloody close.
Put like that I’m surprised you can be arsed ! :lol:

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Maybe it’s a symptom of the nature of your work and/or the recruitment process? You said yourself you recruit people with no real qualifications….if people can’t be arsed to get educated I’d suggest they probably won’t be arsed with work either. One thing qualifications or college does is demonstrate an ability to apply oneself.

That aside, what you’re describing is a classic low cost center situation. SA is seemingly currently very popular and for many reasons: time zone, level of education and English language and accent being the thrust of this. The one issue with the LCCs I have experience of (mainly Southern Asia) in my sector is the turn over; anyone who is good will start asking for more money and/or leave. Many see it as a gateway to riches elsewhere and often abroad; the good and the ambitious will achieve this by their very nature. Over time you’re left with very average people and higher staffing costs. An industry friend wrote a paper on this and estimated 2 years. This is my sector ; maybe yours is different.

There are successes though, some companies haven’t so much out sourced, but set up huge offices and operations with all the associated layers of management and diversity of positions which engenders work mobility and goes someway to mitigate the aforementioned issues.
We haven’t only taken people who aren’t educated. We’ve taken people with 3 languages and a master’s degree. And to be honest I’d say they were probably the worst ones. My most successful hires have been people with no qualifications who’ve got to that stage in their life where they’ve thought ‘shit, I need to make a go of things now’. All the people I’ve hired that have done really well have been in that demographic. But the problem is you have to burn through a lot of wasters who say the right things but don’t mean them before you find those people. And that isn’t possible if somebody has full employment rights from day one and you can’t have the ‘this isn’t working’ chat when it is clear that it isn’t after a few weeks / months.

To be honest, after my experience of the last few years I’d bite your hand off for for average people and high staffing costs…

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Put like that I’m surprised you can be arsed ! :lol:
Yes well I have had that conversation with myself many times! But it will be worth it if I can retire at 55.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Maybe it’s a symptom of the nature of your work and/or the recruitment process? You said yourself you recruit people with no real qualifications….if people can’t be arsed to get educated I’d suggest they probably won’t be arsed with work either. One thing qualifications or college does is demonstrate an ability to apply oneself.
When I read arrogant shit like this I despair.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We haven’t only taken people who aren’t educated. We’ve taken people with 3 languages and a master’s degree. And to be honest I’d say they were probably the worst ones. My most successful hires have been people with no qualifications who’ve got to that stage in their life where they’ve thought ‘shit, I need to make a go of things now’. All the people I’ve hired that have done really well have been in that demographic. But the problem is you have to burn through a lot of wasters who say the right things but don’t mean them before you find those people. And that isn’t possible if somebody has full employment rights from day one and you can’t have the ‘this isn’t working’ chat when it is clear that it isn’t after a few weeks / months.

To be honest, after my experience of the last few years I’d bite your hand off for for average people and high staffing costs…
Fair enough. The key is to identify the “stage in their life where they’ve thought ‘shit, I need to make a go of things now’.” cohort; how you do this I don’t know. I think I’m correct in saying no one has full employment rights until 6 months in Germany. There’s nothing to stop folk performing well then taking their foot off the gas after this period but this does weed out the truly shit. 6 months then you’re stuck with someone with very strong rights.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
When I read arrogant shit like this I despair.
Yes it isn’t great. HT is alright though, so I forgive him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes it isn’t great. HT is alright though, so I forgive him.
It wasn’t meant to be; more questioning expectations. But you subsequently added a different angle to it which I hadn’t considered. Apologies.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Did you really think that was arrogant?
To even suggest that because some people are not academically minded they " can't be arsed to get educated so probably can't be arsed to work" is just disgusting.

Not unlike you.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It wasn’t meant to be; more questioning expectations. But you subsequently added a different angle to it which I hadn’t considered. Apologies.
😘

When I started in this game I had no qualifications. Mainly because I was a right lazy f*** more interested in getting pissed than wanting to work.

Obviously I’ve completely changed now 😬

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Am all for workers rights but glad I no longer employ. Employed dozens of youngsters over years by taking them on very low wages for an initial 3 months and then made a decision whether we felt they had the qualities and hunger needed. I would estimate because of good judgement at initial interview stage most had decent career. When we were very busy I would expect people to work very long hours and grab a sandwich for lunch and of course in appreciation of this would be happy on request for people to leave early.

I’ve sat with probably 100’s of bosses, and their staff, over decades. A real insight.

Good employers are worth their weight in gold, staff generally go the extra mile. If someone works in that scenario and is happy, hang around!

There are also some vile business owners out there, interestingly it’s got zilch to do with their background or party politics. I saw tw@ts who had a working class background, claimed to be Labour, yet treated staff like crap. Also posh horrible bosses.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
😘

When I started in this game I had no qualifications. Mainly because I was a right lazy f*** more interested in getting pissed than wanting to work.

Obviously I’ve completely changed now 😬
And there is what I find so interesting.

People progress at different stages in their life. Unfortunately , early education is all about attainment at 16 for GCSE,s ( GCE,s in my day ) and A-levels at 18...and so on. If you're not on the conveyor belt at those ages, some arseholes write you off.

I have six children.

The eldest got zero GCSE,s at 16. Did a further year at the Academy which I used to see him playing football almost non stop every time I passed the school playing fields in my car.

I took him to France with me and asked a friend to employ him for a few weeks who was building a bungalow. After several weeks, he came back to the UK with me and I asked him what he wanted to do...more education or what...? " I 'm happy to dig holes in the road dad " he said. I phoned a friend and he commenced worked in the building industry. The only thing I asked him, was to do his best. He did. Fast forward the next 8 years...he worked hard and diligently. He started his own business. Fast forward again, he has multiple properties, a terrific reputation locally for the standard of his company's work and work ethic and employs anything between 9 and 15 employees,.. He has a thriving family, each now building their own dynasties. He posts on here rarely, but knows I do.

My eldest daughter left school with no GCSe's. She now, after many years later, has a degree , her partner is a consultant in the NHS. She is thriving with her family and works bloody hard at A & E in Worthing.. My next son earns more than I ever did at 25 years old. Next in line is my 23year old son just buying his first property. A bit late but hey ho. The next two are in similar positions. I hope they will succeed too, but education....??????? It is merely another string to your bow. A good thing to have, but to never, never, never ever to be written off by the likes of Herr Tubthumper who as far as I can see his only vice and usefulness in society is to fill his face with fancy foods and buy expensive running shoes ( or maybe inner tubes for his bicycle ...I can never remember quite what his relevance in life is ).

Education can be a great help....but it really isn't the only answer to a good and fulfilling life, not just for yourself, but to society too.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And there is what I find so interesting.

People progress at different stages in their life. Unfortunately , early education is all about attainment at 16 for GCSE,s ( GCE,s in my day ) and A-levels at 18...and so on. If you're not on the conveyor belt at those ages, some arseholes write you off.

I have six children.

The eldest got zero GCSE,s at 16. Did a further year at the Academy which I used to see him playing football almost non stop every time I passed the school playing fields in my car.

I took him to France with me and asked a friend to employ him for a few weeks who was building a bungalow. After several weeks, he came back to the UK with me and I asked him what he wanted to do...more education or what...? " I 'm happy to dig holes in the road dad " he said. I phoned a friend and he commenced worked in the building industry. The only thing I asked him, was to do his best. He did. Fast forward the next 8 years...he worked hard and diligently. He started his own business. Fast forward again, he has multiple properties, a terrific reputation locally for the standard of his company's work and work ethic and employs anything between 9 and 15 employees,.. He has a thriving family, each now building their own dynasties. He posts on here rarely, but knows I do.

My eldest daughter left school with no GCSe's. She now, after many years later, has a degree , her partner is a consultant in the NHS. She is thriving with her family and works bloody hard at A & E in Worthing.. My next son earns more than I ever did at 25 years old. Next in line is my 23year old son just buying his first property. A bit late but hey ho. The next two are in similar positions. I hope they will succeed too, but education....??????? It is merely another string to your bow. A good thing to have, but to never, never, never ever to be written off by the likes of Herr Tubthumper who as far as I can see his only vice and usefulness in society is to fill his face with fancy foods and buy expensive running shoes ( or maybe inner tubes for his bicycle ...I can never remember quite what his relevance in life is ).

Education can be a great help....but it really isn't the only answer to a good and fulfilling life, not just for yourself, but to society too.
I think to be honest the single most important skill in life is the ability to influence (and dare I say manipulate) people. You don’t really learn that in education, and no amount of academic prowess can teach you that. Success in life has very little to do with intelligence / academic achievement in my experience, and everything to do with social skills and the ability to spot opportunities when they come along, and take advantage of them.

If I was given the opportunity to magic a skill into my offspring it wouldn’t be a language or a trade or a qualification, it would be the ability to get other people to do what you want them to do.

That sounds awful reading it back, but it isn’t meant to be. If you have that skill you can do anything.

You should leave HT alone though, he’s alright. He just likes to provoke.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think to be honest the single most important skill in life is the ability to influence (and dare I say manipulate) people. You don’t really learn that in education, and no amount of academic prowess can teach you that. Success in life has very little to do with intelligence / academic achievement in my experience, and everything to do with social skills and the ability to spot opportunities when they come along, and take advantage of them.

If I was given the opportunity to magic a skill into my offspring it wouldn’t be a language or a trade or a qualification, it would be the ability to get other people to do what you want them to do.

That sounds awful reading it back, but it isn’t meant to be. If you have that skill you can do anything.

You should leave HT alone though, he’s alright. He just likes to provoke.

My advice to anyone looking at careers. Is to get good at something, invariably that takes time and resilience, and make sure it’s something you enjoy or at least don’t mind but rapport/money make it fine in the whole. When you’re able to take responsibility for tasks thus easing pressure from your boss or clients, you become very valuable. Responsibility meaning taking ownership, seeing things through to a conclusion.

• Love
Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here