Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whilst not a labour voter find the criticism of Starmer ridiculous. Starmer comes over for what he is a legal man and had to do nothing to get in. Lets face it last natural leader country were able to vote for was Blair. Sure he regrets a few things he has done but so much different criticising everything in opposition and now having to make decisions. P&O a great example. In opposition rightly in my opinion had no time for them for the way they treated staff. Different matter now he wants investment from them.
My only concern is civil service which has a big role to play and should always be neautral. I was unhappy that both covid and NHS enquiries were headed by out and out labour supporters. Civil Service has always been neautral and stood up to governments. Hope this can continue but with two senior positions been replaced by labour supporters I wonder. Hope with these two appointments plus Sue Gray and son we are not carrying on Jobs for mates.
With a 200 majority they would have to be near disastrous which is very unlikely to not get a 2nd term. All those critics out there i suggest you wait 4 years before making a judgement.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And I wouldn’t blame him. A nightmare job in this media and social media age (including from nefarious foreign agent provocateurs). Imho the last two pm’s who had calm control and some focus were Blair and Cameron. Seems like an age ago.
Yup, I wouldn’t fancy being an MP, let alone a Minister or PM, but there are those that do, and this lot haven’t helped themselves one bit. Own goals, no political nous etc. no wonder the media and social media have had a go, even the Guardian has had a pop at them.

Reactions: cjd

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Whilst not a labour voter find the criticism of Starmer ridiculous. Starmer comes over for what he is a legal man and had to do nothing to get in. Lets face it last natural leader country were able to vote for was Blair. Sure he regrets a few things he has done but so much different criticising everything in opposition and now having to make decisions. P&O a great example. In opposition rightly in my opinion had no time for them for the way they treated staff. Different matter now he wants investment from them.
My only concern is civil service which has a big role to play and should always be neautral. I was unhappy that both covid and NHS enquiries were headed by out and out labour supporters. Civil Service has always been neautral and stood up to governments. Hope this can continue but with two senior positions been replaced by labour supporters I wonder. Hope with these two appointments plus Sue Gray and son we are not carrying on Jobs for mates.
With a 200 majority they would have to be near disastrous which is very unlikely to not get a 2nd term. All those critics out there i suggest you wait 4 years before making a judgement.
Wait 4 years?
Good grief, no administration gets that long before judgements, criticism, praise and general comment get made. Anyway, some almost inevitable by elections will come along in the next few years and the results often give a glimpse of the feelings of the electorate towards the Government of the time.

Reactions: cjd

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I‘m willing to bet it will Starmer who will be gone (from an internal leadership challenge) not the Labour government.

Would that be Labour talk for 'we backed the wrong man' ?
Perhaps not, though even the suggestion would need more explanation than waging a small bet.

Labour are now rotten to the core, just as the Tories.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would that be Labour talk for 'we backed the wrong man' ?
Perhaps not, though even the suggestion would need more explanation than waging a small bet.

Labour are now rotten to the core, just as the Tories.
Are they ? Or is there just a barrage of negative headlines in nearly all the newspapers as expected ? It's not like the endless mud slinging is going to achieve anything. They're here for five years.

My thought process has become so much easier since I stopped being bothered by politics, or at least taking intransigent sides and started looking at things from outside. The first thing you see is how odd the human need for identity is.

Some of the policy announcements I have agreed with, others not. A lot I don't know much about. But I wouldn't say they are 'rotten to the core'. The Tories were, but that's what happens after 14 years of power. It happens to all partys. They believe in some kind of invincibility.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Are they ? Or is there just a barrage of negative headlines in nearly all the newspapers as expected ?

Well, whatever you're opinion and whether you agree or not, I find it quite telling (quite astonishing even) that one of Labours members and staunchest supporters is even suggesting Starmer is more than likely find a strong and threatening leadership challenge internally so soon. And willing to put money on it.

Many have been led to believe the sun shines out of his (Starmers) backside and have stated as much on similar threads, after all the positive things we've heard both from him and about him for several years......on how he would bring great change with integrity.

I wasn't referring to any 'paper talk' at least I've not heard any or such talk of a leadership challenge there myself.

Perhaps you should query the poster over his original comments, he could explain more his perspective or position regarding Labour, rather than myself.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they ? Or is there just a barrage of negative headlines in nearly all the newspapers as expected ?
….and a handful of posters in this echo chamber. This thread is just like all the other political threads albeit with a few different characters.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Labour will be hoping that they can do the nasty stuff now, take the hits and losses, give a very harsh budget then spend between then and the election rebuilding trust.

Problem for them will be pensioners who are getting slammed from all sides and will rush back to the Tories, as your little snapshot above shows.
Yes but labour will be banking on many of the pensioners being dead by the time the next election round

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Heaven forbid workers rights should be protected.
If you want to protect British workers rights you need to control the Labour market, and to control the labour market you need to manage your borders. Labour and the Tories have long sponsored the P&O economic model for how businesses work. It was an underlying issue with Brexit.

You reap what you sow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I doubt even the staunchest red would dare to call this 3 months a resounding success.
I’m meeting a friend for brunch. You’ll have to discuss this with someone else Im afraid. :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pictures please.

IMG_2024-10-13-111104.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No photos I’m afraid, but here’s the menu.

Wow. Like Harry’s of Palmeira Square on Teutonic steroids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here