[Politics] The Labour Government

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Mmmmm do they know something we don’t?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c89l52pwwllo

To lose ‘Business’ so soon, given there was real belief that Labour ‘got it’ whilst the Tories had alienated almost every sector of business in the Uk and around the world, is deeply worrying.

Labour have run down the economy making both business and consumers extremely nervous, created massive uncertainty and are planning on bringing in some farcical employment ‘rights’ which will screw SMEs.

I find this worrying not because I am party political but because we NEED the government to succeed. Yet it seems that everything they touch is turning to poo. Latest example:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Of course you’re allowed an opinion but it speaks volumes that I guessed your situation.

You can sum up a lot of people on this thread by having them say “please spend more money. No not THEIRS! No not MINE!”
Whereas you have no ideas of what to do and are just an enabler and appologist for the current bunch of idiots who seem to think they own other people's wealth. Yo want to spend my money when all I've done is what successive governments have encouraged me to do, you probably blow your money because you think you can have mine at some point in the future. You do politics of envy and division, there's no substance to you (I like your football related comments but understand that other things are probably too difficult for you). None of this will reallly affect me anyway as I have plenty of cash and no debts, I won't take much of a lump sum, I will probably leave the DC pot to my son untouched.

I've not advocated spending more money at any point. I wouldn't mind seeign tax on alcohol and gambling go up significantly. Do you have any ideas of you own or do you have to be told what to think? Or just stick with your meaningless comments.

BTW today put another £240 in my pension pot, as every day does. If I'd stayed in medicine, you would be saying I was one of the people who deserved the large pay and pension.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To lose ‘Business’ so soon, given there was real belief that Labour ‘got it’ whilst the Tories had alienated almost every sector of business in the Uk and around the world, is deeply worrying.

Labour have run down the economy making both business and consumers extremely nervous, created massive uncertainty and are planning on bringing in some farcical employment ‘rights’ which will screw SMEs.

I find this worrying not because I am party political but because we NEED the government to succeed. Yet it seems that everything they touch is turning to poo. Latest example:

P&O Ferries deserve every bit of criticism they get, firing 800 experienced workers, and rehiring workers, from India and the Philippines on half the wages.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Don’t thinks usually get a bit worse before they get better? Take some medicine or have an operation and health can improve. It isn’t just going to the doctor which makes you better!

It was such a shit show previously that these things will take some time. If things are really going THAT badly then we would not have had two weeks with non stories about Taylor swift or tittle tattle about personality clashes.

The lack of attention given to the Tories having to pick between someone who claims our military commit war crimes and someone who thinks 10% of civil service should be in prison is remarkable. You have elements of the Tory party unable to support either candidate. Yet the media would have us believe it is Labour that is falling apart hence Tories are picking up local elections.

It is almost 5 years until the election. Things will change (maybe for the worse but maybe for the better). Let’s see.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
i guess quite a few on here will be concerned about the possible removal of the 25% lump sum tax free happening. I’m not wanting to debate the rights and wrongs as that has been about done to death. Im still pondering, do I or don’t I.

I had planned to take it in about 18 months time and i’m in a conundrum, sit tight and hope, or panic and risk making the wrong move when the removal of scheme may not happen afterall.

Who has/is in the same dilemma and who has or hasn’t taken it early just in case?

maybe should add that my advisors thoughts are to sit tight as even if it’s removed it probably wouldn’t be enforced until next April.

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
i guess quite a few on here will be concerned about the possible removal of the 25% lump sum tax free happening. I’m not wanting to debate the rights and wrongs as that has been about done to death. Im still pondering, do I or don’t I.

I had planned to take it in about 18 months time and i’m in a conundrum, sit tight and hope, or panic and risk making the wrong move when the removal of scheme may not happen afterall.

Who has/is in the same dilemma and who has or hasn’t taken it early just in case?

maybe should add that my advisors thoughts are to sit tight as even if it’s removed it probably wouldn’t be enforced until next April.

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024

Depending on a lot of ifs and buts, it may be possible to take at least some out and put it into an ISA, thus protecting the tax-free status.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
P&O Ferries deserve every bit of criticism they get, firing 800 experienced workers, and rehiring workers, from India and the Philippines on half the wages.

Absolutely fair comment, but we are talking about our government here who appear to have thrown away a potential £1 billion investment in our economy. A government with any economic nouse would have (behind closed doors) welcomed the investment but taken the opportunity to rectify and change the clearly unacceptable employment practices.
However, the bad practices continue AND the country loses the investment. I don’t care which colour the government is but that is incompetent.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Labour need to learn when to hold their nose, and get their priorities right. Yes, they have a point about P&O but the bad stuff happened under the Tories and right now they need the investment and quick wins to establish momentum and breed confidence.

Blair did thus with Cool Britannia in 1997 and it set him up for the next decade. I maintain that Starmer needs someone like Alistair Campbell to keep everyone on message.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Labour need to learn when to hold their nose, and get their priorities right. Yes, they have a point about P&O but the bad stuff happened under the Tories and right now they need the investment and quick wins to establish momentum and breed confidence.

Blair did thus with Cool Britannia in 1997 and it set him up for the next decade. I maintain that Starmer needs someone like Alistair Campbell to keep everyone on message.
Isn't that Morgan McSweeney now?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Absolutely fair comment, but we are talking about our government here who appear to have thrown away a potential £1 billion investment in our economy. A government with any economic nouse would have (behind closed doors) welcomed the investment but taken the opportunity to rectify and change the clearly unacceptable employment practices.
However, the bad practices continue AND the country loses the investment. I don’t care which colour the government is but that is incompetent.

They have had 2 years to prepare for government and they are mucking it up in less than 100 days

Reeves has mentioned the 22 billion black hole at every chance, we can't afford to lose a billion.

They are not in opposition anymore.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
More corruption

Woodcock, a former Labour MP, was ennobled as Lord Walney by Boris Johnson in 2020. The following year the Tory government appointed him independent adviser on political violence and extremism and commissioned him to write a report on protest.

🥴

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Woodcock, a former Labour MP, was ennobled as Lord Walney by Boris Johnson in 2020. The following year the Tory government appointed him independent adviser on political violence and extremism and commissioned him to write a report on protest.

🥴

Hes still as I write in post and has just written a lengthy report for the government. Hopefully he will lose his seat sharpish

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hes still as I write in post and has just written a lengthy report for the government. Hopefully he will lose his seat sharpish
CORRUPTION!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here