Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Jesus did have a wife

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Jesus never existed. It's a myth. There is no place left in society for religion. It is the cause of every war.

Every war??? I'd be interested to hear how religion started the two world wars, the gulf war, the Boer war etc etc..oh..you were joking, right?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
And Jesu sayeth unto his followers, "they are all slutfaced whores except my Mother", so they knew Mary must be a virgin.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The three bigest killers of the last century were Hitler, Stalin and Mao tse Tung, they were all atheists so religion didn't cause them to slaughter millions.

i would argue that he may have called himself christian (catholic), but his actions certainly didn't suggest that he was

What a ludicrous circular argument. "Religion doesn't cause war, therefore Hitler must have been atheist. Hitler was atheist, therefore look we have more evidence that Religion doesn't cause war."

He merely paid lip service to the Christians Germans to ensure they didn't rise up against him.

It's commonly claimed that the current Pope was a member of the Nazi Youth, and the counter is that that is an unfair claim, as he was forced to be so in Nazi Germany. If the Nazis had the power to force the religious to join their party, then they obviously didn't need to fear the power of the church... so clearly Hitler didn't need to lie and proclaim things like "by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." (Unless this line of argument is completely flawed, and in fact the Pope genuinely was a Nazi)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think its really rather silly to drag war into religion or the other way. clearly a great many wars have not been due to religion and the two biggies had no religious grounds. (the holocaust was simple racism).

no, its far more sensible to say that religion has caused more suffering in history than anything else. :thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So those 20 quotes (I can't be bothered to count them all) are countered by ONE quote from you. That doesn't seem fair. It could be argued your one quote is countered better by the twenty other quotes.

My understanding from my wife, who used to teach this period in history, is that Hitler was raised a catholic and went through his life desperately craving the support of the Church.

A number of Christians were detained and executed eventually who not only didn't support the regime but actively spoke out against it and refused to be silenced..

So both sides of the argument I think are true.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's commonly claimed that the current Pope was a member of the Nazi Youth, and the counter is that that is an unfair claim, as he was forced to be so in Nazi Germany. If the Nazis had the power to force the religious to join their party, then they obviously didn't need to fear the power of the church... so clearly Hitler didn't need to lie and proclaim things like "by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." (Unless this line of argument is completely flawed, and in fact the Pope genuinely was a Nazi)

If you go read up on the Nazis and their policies during that period against handicapped/disabled people it was only through massive pressure and potential threat of internal conflict from the Catholic quarter in Germany that the Nazis dropped their policy of killing such people. Off the top of my head I think they'd killed 70,000 people under this policy before it ended.

Just that policy alone shows Hitler was no man of God.

He was at best a pagan.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
No. The German persecution of the Jews could be argued as religiously motivated. The war was not - Europe was generally anti-semetic, and Churchill himself was known to be anti-semetic. Britain got involved due to the invasion of Poland.

I actually asked my Granny, who was in the WAF, if the British population knew about the persecution of Jews in Germany - and she said it wasn't known... it wasn't known at the time what was happening.

The persecution of the jews in Germany was well known from 1936 onwards. What wasn't known was the extermination of the Jews in concentration camps. My Grandfather took in a Jewish boy and girl in 1938 after Kristallnacht, when the germans went round smashing up jewish businesses and synagogues and many jewish children were to sent to the UK for safety.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My mother was an ambulance driver in the WAAF during the war, and she admits she argued with a jewish girl who had escaped Europe, over the holocaust, and told her she was exagerrating, and its something that still hurts her to this day that she didnt believe the girl, and my mother was brought up in a jewish household.

Stumpy Tim

The persecution of the jews in Germany was well known from 1936 onwards. What wasn't known was the extermination of the Jews in concentration camps. My Grandfather took in a Jewish boy and girl in 1938 after Kristallnacht, when the germans went round smashing up jewish businesses and synagogues and many jewish children were to sent to the UK for safety.

Fair comment. I probably should have said "the extent of the persecution". Brutal & horrific, but fascinating period of time

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes it is. Ok maybe rephrase that. A majority of wars are Religion related in some way or another.

In what way was the battle for imperia l power between Britain and Germany, one of the main causes of the first world war and the rise of nazi power leading to the second world war based on religion?

Oct 25, 2003
If "do they act like jesus" was a marker of someone's beliefs more than their own statements of faith, then a large portion of people, particularly in America, who claim to be christian aren't really. The opposition to healthcare, the child abusing priests, the money grabbing televangelists, etc.

yes I agree.......well, what I mean is, they may believe in god.....but their actions aren't christian and if they believe in heaven and hell, they're going to the latter (especially paedo priests)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hitler didn't believe in God. He didn't believe in forgiveness, patience, tolerance etc and he ceratinly didn't want anything being worshipped as higher than the third Reich or his own power. He may have appeared to appease the Christian faith at times but once he was all powerful he would have smashed the church within weeks and shown no mercy. I think he was probably a pagan, he certainly had an interest in the occult and paganism, albeit a pretty mixed up idea of it.

JC probably did exist in some form or other.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nor does the god of the old testament. They both loved a bit of SMITING though so well suited.

This is true, perhaps they are both up there now, slapping each other's backs and eating Doritos?

This is true, perhaps they are both up there now, slapping each other's backs and eating Doritos?

Or both 'down there' perhaps? How many people does the devil actually kill in the bible? How many does god kill? Maybe we have got this all the wrong way around?
(Or much more likely it's a big pile of horse shit dreamt up by men of power to influence the gullible masses into doing their bidding.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here