Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC launch ASDA Boycott

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Vinyl Richie said:

I will keep the reciept and post full amount that Hollingbury's Asda is going to lose out on to their rivals from just little old me per week.

Cracking idea - we usually do the shopping at ASDA's, will now do the same. nice one!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
good stuff Westdene well done :clap:
After all it was your intial idea that got the ball rolling :clap:
and everyone else involved :clap:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can I email that link out to people yet, will they be able to post and vote on polls?

They won't be users of NSC

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Superphil said:
Can I email that link out to people yet, will they be able to post and vote on polls?

They won't be users of NSC

From the point of view of the domain name, it won't work for a few hours ( usually 24 hours from purchase ).

Can't comment on whether you need an NSC login to get to the polls etc.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
What I mean is, I tried to post on it but it wouldn't let me till I had logged onto NSC.

People arn't going to go through the hastle of registering on NSC to reply to the polls or post their opinion

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
No, I still can't post without a user name

It is fantastic though, I've got 100s of people I could email that to, once the Username thing is sorted

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been a long-time boycotter of Asda in protest at the damage that Wal-Mart has done to communities and local shops.

I'm happy to pretend I'm a valued customer and fire off a critical email though.

Scumbags.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I have browsed the ASDA website and found the following, regarding their support of Green Travel plans. I have deleted points 1-7 as they do not refer to the current situation, but point 8 seems to bear a close resemblance to the motives and benefits of a Park And Ride scheme.
Strange how they can be selective hypocrites and oppose a green travel scheme when it suits them. Basically, ASDA are saying 'We support green issues, but only when we benefit'. Well thanks a bloody bunch guys.

ASDA's Environment Policy
We recognise that the activities and services we operate can potentially have a negative effect on our natural environment. Our aim is to identify, monitor and reduce any direct negative effects we have on our environment through a process of continuous monitoring and improvement in the way we manage our day to day business operations. We also try to influence our colleagues, customers and suppliers as this can also help reduce the effect we have on the environment.
ASDA is committed to:

8. Encouraging colleagues and customers to use ‘green’ transport:
- Addressing colleague and customer travel through the development of ‘Green Travel Plans’ for all new store builds
- Promoting colleague car share schemes
- Encouraging colleagues to ‘get on their bikes’ through the Colleague Discounted Bicycle Initiative .

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Is it worth telling the Argus about this?

Christ yes. Give them a chance to show they support us in something. If they dare.
Problem is, where do you think all of their staff go for lunch and to buy their shopping? Exactly. Split loyalties here me thinks. Or maybe their loyalties lie with ASDA?
Having said that, it's local news which surely is of interest to the community as a whole, and that they should report without bias.

Last edited:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Having sent my letter of protest last night (see page 1) I was passing Asda today and thought I'd pop in and see these petitions.
The table with the forms on is just inside the main door - there were 2 sheets full of signatures and a few blank forms.
Being filled with disgust I thought about swiping the full ones but the customer services bints were right there so I bottled it, and besides that hardly gives freedom of speech for those misguided locals who have stupidly signed these forms.
Instead I scribbled out the message on the top of one of these unused forms and wrote -

"Football supporters in favour of the park and ride scheme in Carden Ave please sign below"

I signed and printed my name and left this next to the other petitions. Dunno how long it would have remained there or if anyone else got to sign it b4 they removed it but it made me feel better!

I then left without making a purchase, but I did get my "free" cream egg from the stand in the foyer :salute:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sonic said:
Christ yes. Give them a chance to show they support us in something. If they dare.
Problem is, where do you think all of their staff go for lunch and to buy their shopping? Exactly. Split loyalties here me thinks. Or maybe their loyalties lie with ASDA?
Having said that, it's local news which surely is of interest to the community as a whole, and that they should report without bias.

I used to work at the Argus, and park my car in the Asda car park. About a couple of years ago, Asda banned Argus staff parking there, with a £50 fine for anyone who dared use it without shopping.

It pissed the staff at the Argus off no end. They now have to park down by the County Oak pub or the Snipe. Miles away. (Well it's about 500 yards).

I would have thought the Argus would love a story like this, right on its own doorstep. They don't even have to bother getting in their cars and driving there.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Ive added this as a News Story on BHA Links . It's been picked up by NewsNow

With any luck one of the bigger news organisations will pick up on it from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here