Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay charged by FA

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Real shame I was hoping he would play verses Arsenal, the fans would have turned on him and felt he would score against them, I was hoping a brace to match last years tally. Next season instead now.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
There is that perception. Is it the case though that a player from a top 6 club has had a lesser punishment for the same offence as Maupay ?

I can't give you an exact example, but I've seen at least half a dozen matches this season where at the final whistle players have got all up in the refs face, you can often lip-read, and nothing has been done, no card, no retrospective ban. I find it increasingly hard to not be critical of what appears to me as double standards.

I'm not upset about Maupay being out, if anything it may even be advantageous in forcing Potter's hand to view other options, although it's probably best that we already have our safety guaranteed or this may have proved more costly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not partizan about this at all.

Going after the ref with a volley of abuse and/or accusations is unprofessional and in many circumstances could’ve hurt his club (us) very badly.

Totally unacceptable.

(The EPL is riddled with shit refs and VAR officials. Unfortunately, players and managers need to think first, before they see red mist).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I do think (wish) they should publish what he actually said....

I’d be interested - given every single game on TV you see players tell the ref to **** off - just seen that shit Billing bloke do it for AFC SmallClub

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
NSC would be in meltdown due to the chances that he had missed

I guarantee someone will be saying ‘that’s his last kick in an Albion shirt’ which seems to be he go to after any sort of discipline balls up by a player - loads said it after Murray came on and elbowed some guy at Withdean and got sent off I recall :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’d be interested - given every single game on TV you see players tell the ref to **** off - just seen that shit Billing bloke do it for AFC SmallClub

Its one thing to do it "in passing". But Maupay went on, and on, and on as his team-mates tried to hold him back. He probably had a warning from the ref before the red was brandished, but the idiot carried on trying to get in his face.

I'm not interested in whataboutery. Its indefensible.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Its one thing to do it "in passing". But Maupay went on, and on, and on as his team-mates tried to hold him back. He probably had a warning from the ref before the red was brandished, but the idiot carried on trying to get in his face.

Got to be honest. I didn’t know or care as I’d turned it off by then :lol:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Yes, I think an additional one game ban is pretty reasonable and we will think it’s an ok outcome. Time for Neal to have some time to reflect. 2/3 players plus Billy all tried to pull him back from the ref but he was having none of it. The ban is deserved.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There can’t be any argument from Maupay. To add to it being a definite red it was a primetime game on bbc 1, it’s an embarrassment to the game let alone us.

But it’s a learning experience and fortunately, no real harm done so we move on.

As has been said it’s good that it forces GP to try other players in a way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Guess we won't find out whether Potter would have used him or not. It'll stop some of the Arsenal melts wetting themselves over him again I guess.

Anyone else notice Antonio on Saturday night say to the ref "f***s sake it's the same ****ing challenge"? Laughed off by "Dre" the players friend of course.

That's hardly the same!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I think an additional one game ban is pretty reasonable and we will think it’s an ok outcome. Time for Neal to have some time to reflect.....................
............that he's on his holibobs two weeks early at the cost of a few days wages ....

It's a good life for some!

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
So you don’t want any penalty for foul and abusive language aimed at referees ?

So Neal`s in his his car just about to drive off home , see`s the incompetent **** and calls him a very naughty name , what next the FA send him a red card and ban by registered post , grow up . You either want a game played with passion and flare where the adrenalin flows or you want to go back to schoolboy football where the game is adjudicated by an overweight Geography teacher ? .

YOU personally have respect for some players , the reasons are known to you , i have NO respect for certain refs for reasons known to everyone . Mixing Dunk and Bissouma up for a second yellow and sending off the former for a starters !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So Neal`s in his his car just about to drive off home , see`s the incompetent **** and calls him a very naughty name , what next the FA send him a red card and ban by registered post , grow up . You either want a game played with passion and flare where the adrenalin flows or you want to go back to schoolboy football where the game is adjudicated by an overweight Geography teacher ? .

YOU personally have respect for some players , the reasons are known to you , i have NO respect for certain refs for reasons known to everyone . Mixing Dunk and Bissouma up for a second yellow and sending off the former for a starters !

Cobblers. Players giving dogs abuse at referees filters all the way down to grassroots level. Kids and amateurs seeing mugs like Maupay totally losing their shit at the ref, and having to be physically restrained by team mates "normalises" this type of behaviour, and it gets copied.

Its got the square root of f-all to do with "passion and flair". I'd rather he showed a bit more of that in the box every once in a while.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Cobblers. Players giving dogs abuse at referees filters all the way down to grassroots level. Kids and amateurs seeing mugs like Maupay totally losing their shit at the ref, and having to be physically restrained by team mates "normalises" this type of behaviour, and it gets copied.

Its got the square root of f-all to do with "passion and flair". I'd rather he showed a bit more of that in the box every once in a while.

You talk of " mugs like Maupay " , a player who is having a tough time with his form , but gets kicked up hill and down dale by Coady , ending in a very dangerous shove that could of caused considerable damage and the ref is not up with play so guesses it was a fair challenge , he was wrong and not for the first time .

Mugs like Maupay are playing for their careers , for a chance at the national team , and for a new contract . Real MUGS like Moss who can`t do his job will still be officiating next week regardless of how poor his game was today or last week with absolutely NO consequences . He wont be dropped from the team like Maupay could be , he will just be allowed to continue his sub standard performances with no penalties .

Kids aren`t as stupid as you seem to think , they can tell the clean end of a stick to the dirty one . Referees such as Pierluigi Collina are still held in the highest regard because they UNDERSTOOD football , your Mason`s and moss` and Dean`s are so far behind him it makes me wonder if they even try to emulate such a great man .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here