Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay charged by FA

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Players don't get loaned out as a punishment, they get suspended. I think Mason should have been suspended for two matches.

He didn't referee for more than a month after our game before his stop in League 2. And that still ignores that he will know that the lower division games is his bosses punishing him for screwing up.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
No referee, no game of football. Players are actively trying to deceive them, whether they're claiming fouls which didn't happen or claiming a corner when it's a goal kick. It's a very difficult job to do and it's very difficult for young referees to climb the ladder. The whole structure of refereeing needs to be overhauled and far better incentivised. But players also bear some of the burden in the low/poor standard of refereeing through their outright attempts to cheat, however small it may seem to them.

Imho referees have to a certain degree made a rod for their own back . It`s only my thought`s on the subject but : 1, Stop keepers from holding onto the ball for protracted lengths of time , i have seen keepers hold the ball for 45 -50 seconds . 2, Diving is a yellow card every time , not just once in a blue moon . 3. You`ve got VAR so use the damn thing , speak to your team over the mic and get the decision right , not guess and get it wrong which ends up with angry Frenchmen after the final whistle . 4, Stop players kicking the ball away , for a while that was a yellow card offence as was encroachment to stop or hinder a free kick .

All individually small things that on there own don`t mean too much , but did help the game flow better and kept the ref in control . These misdemeanours have all but been forgotten , imho once they were forgotten players have kept pushing to see what else they can get away with . I don`t want hundreds of rules clogging up the game , but to make them and then slowly stop enforcing them has led to know one knowing exactly where they stand . In other words give an inch and they will take a mile , which is why it is more important than ever to use VAR and take the bloody guess work out of it , and be consistent .

As for " no referee no game of football" does that mean that bad refereeing is better than no ref at all , or just that the ref is the most important person in the equation ? .

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"Referees make mistakes every week, mistakes that are part and parcel of football, honest mistakes when trying their best. They are not, nor should they be, punished for those mistakes". WHY NOT ?
If a defender makes an honest challenge on a striker and fouls him it`s a penalty that`s a punishment for poor play , or should that be mistake ? . I`m very confused here , so all 22 players both managers and all 6 subs and coaching staff on the line can be "punished " by the ref for what might be a genuine "mistake " but heaven forbid the ref should be held to the same conditions ???

Given the tone of your posts in this thread, I suspect there isn't anything I say that will convince you. I get the impression that there is a fundamental difference of opinion here.

But several things in your post that I will respond to

-Firstly, reading back my post I may not have worded it entirely clearly. "Referees make mistakes every week, mistakes that are part and parcel of football, honest mistakes when trying their best. They are not, nor should they be, punished for those mistakes". By this I mean there are run of the mill, low level mistakes, giving a foul when a player yelps and falls to the ground holding their ankle only for replays to show there was no contact etc. that are part an parcel of the game. These run of the mill, low level errors shouldn't be punished (these are, to me, the equivalent of trying a cross field ball and overhitting it out for a throw, or your free kick not clearing the first man). If they make big errors, errors that stand out from the norm (poor Lee Mason, getting picked on in this thread, but his error in our game as an example) absolutely should be punished. But they are rare.

-Secondly, looking at the mistake themselves. Players make loads of mistakes without being punished. Shooting instead of passing, trying long passes instead of short passes, trying to take on one too many men, etc. These aren't often punished in any real sense. Players don't get booked for missing a penalty, they don't get fined or suspended because their corner swerves out of play before getting in the box. Managers don't get fired for making the wrong team selection in a given week. They get punished when they break the laws of the game (I have a bugbear about penalties not actually being punishment merely giving a team back the goal scoring opportunity that was wrongly taken from them, but that's a side issue). They don't get punished for shanking their shots, or trying to take on one too many men.

-Thirdly, how do you know that the ref has made a mistake? How do you know that it is actually him making a mistake and not you using an outdated interpretation of the law? There was a thread after Moder's goal was disallowed recently about the ball being played backwards and how that factored in the offside decision - some thought it meant they can't be offside, some (like me) recognised that isn't in the law at the moment but were convinced it was previously, others noted it has never been in the laws of the game.

Or being unaware of a law in place? We've seen refs recieve dogs abuse for not letting a player who went off for equipment change (new kit, new boots etc) back on until the next break in play despite it being the law (as opposed to waving on players after treatment as soon as they can).

Or simply a difference of philosophy? There are ways the authorities want the laws applied that we disagree with (most common at the moment is the use of VAR for offsides - authorities have absolute faith in the accuracy of the technology, we all disagree the refs aren't getting it wrong per se, they are simply following a process we fans disagree with). The ref is right to do what their employer and pay master tells them to, if they don't they'll find themselves covering lower league matches.

Is that person attractive?
Person 1: Yes
Person 2: No
Who is right? There is no right answer, it's subjective - just like many of the laws of the game. Just because we're (fans, players, and pundits) are in one group and the footballing authorities and refs are in the other doesn't stop them being subjective and thus make refs "wrong".

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Given the tone of your posts in this thread, I suspect there isn't anything I say that will convince you. I get the impression that there is a fundamental difference of opinion here.

But several things in your post that I will respond to

-Firstly, reading back my post I may not have worded it entirely clearly. "Referees make mistakes every week, mistakes that are part and parcel of football, honest mistakes when trying their best. They are not, nor should they be, punished for those mistakes". By this I mean there are run of the mill, low level mistakes, giving a foul when a player yelps and falls to the ground holding their ankle only for replays to show there was no contact etc. that are part an parcel of the game. These run of the mill, low level errors shouldn't be punished (these are, to me, the equivalent of trying a cross field ball and overhitting it out for a throw, or your free kick not clearing the first man). If they make big errors, errors that stand out from the norm (poor Lee Mason, getting picked on in this thread, but his error in our game as an example) absolutely should be punished. But they are rare.

-Secondly, looking at the mistake themselves. Players make loads of mistakes without being punished. Shooting instead of passing, trying long passes instead of short passes, trying to take on one too many men, etc. These aren't often punished in any real sense. Players don't get booked for missing a penalty, they don't get fined or suspended because their corner swerves out of play before getting in the box. Managers don't get fired for making the wrong team selection in a given week. They get punished when they break the laws of the game (I have a bugbear about penalties not actually being punishment merely giving a team back the goal scoring opportunity that was wrongly taken from them, but that's a side issue). They don't get punished for shanking their shots, or trying to take on one too many men.

-Thirdly, how do you know that the ref has made a mistake? How do you know that it is actually him making a mistake and not you using an outdated interpretation of the law? There was a thread after Moder's goal was disallowed recently about the ball being played backwards and how that factored in the offside decision - some thought it meant they can't be offside, some (like me) recognised that isn't in the law at the moment but were convinced it was previously, others noted it has never been in the laws of the game.

Or being unaware of a law in place? We've seen refs recieve dogs abuse for not letting a player who went off for equipment change (new kit, new boots etc) back on until the next break in play despite it being the law (as opposed to waving on players after treatment as soon as they can).

Or simply a difference of philosophy? There are ways the authorities want the laws applied that we disagree with (most common at the moment is the use of VAR for offsides - authorities have absolute faith in the accuracy of the technology, we all disagree the refs aren't getting it wrong per se, they are simply following a process we fans disagree with). The ref is right to do what their employer and pay master tells them to, if they don't they'll find themselves covering lower league matches.

Is that person attractive?
Person 1: Yes
Person 2: No
Who is right? There is no right answer, it's subjective - just like many of the laws of the game. Just because we're (fans, players, and pundits) are in one group and the footballing authorities and refs are in the other doesn't stop them being subjective and thus make refs "wrong".
Look i honestly have no wish to be rude , but i can`t agree with any of that rubbish .

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
then why didn't all our other players surround him at the final whistle? Why didn't Potter and his team have words at the end? I'll tell you why......because Potter demonstrates and demands respect and dignity towards officials ( the Brian Clough way ) whatever happens on the field. He is sensible enough to realise what is done is done. Nothing can be changed. It is his mantra. Anything else to him is totally unacceptable.
Maupay has clearly gone beyond that. Well beyond that. Potter expects self-control from his players. He expects a level of consistent behaviour and performance from his players. It is his mantra. Calmness and consistency.
He has tolerated Maupay his Gallic volatility, spending all games cussing and swearing and blaming everyone else within earshot for his own failings. He may feel it adds an edge to his game. He clearly goes out of his way to wind up opposition players. If you dish it out, you have got to be able to take it as well. All sorts of shenanigins go on during play. Its football.
It remains to be seen what emerges from this but my gut feeling is that Maupay will no longer be considered the main striker. We will probably sign someone new and he will become a support player. Andone was too volatile for Potter's liking and I think his patience might be wearing a bit thin now for Neal Maupay.

"If Moss was so bad" what do you mean "IF MOSS WAS SO BAD " what part of stupidland do you live in , he was that bad , and it is now known as FACT indefensible that he got it wrong with the BDB penalty .

Or are you just out to have a pop at a BHA player for voicing his anger at " A TOTALLY INCOMPETENT *****R"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm just wondering where last night leaves Maupay. It will be interesting to see if we can open up Arsenal without him in the side.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't get to excited about Maupay missing last night, the result and longer term. Like you say depends on how we do against Arsenal.

Out of interest was he on the pitch for the 'parade' after the game ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Quite amusing how Maupay wasn't in the least missed last night :wave:

Don't see why it was amusing.

But yes, I don't think he was missed. Wellbeck then Trossard and then Zeqiri did a better job of leading the line

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Quite amusing how Maupay wasn't in the least bit missed last night :wave:

I'd say he was when we lost Welbeck then looked rather toothless in the first half

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
More than made up for it second half tho eh?

We did, but only because our defenders finally worked out there's a goal at the other end of the pitch too...

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
OPEN APOLOGY to anyone and everyone i offended with my posts yesterday , no excuse just a bad day game aside .

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd say he was when we lost Welbeck then looked rather toothless in the first half

Don't think so, the movement was a lot better without him, as City couldn't cope with the different angles the midfield players were coming in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here