Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay charged by FA

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bloody hell, I have always been 100% convinced it was Hooper, thanks for correcting me!

So was I, until I was corrected on Nsc. Hooper did make a horrible mistake at the Amex so it's easy to get them confused.

Just to add further clarification, the amex mistake TB mentions was also against Bournemouth, and involved them being awarded a penalty they should not have got denying us the win (clean challenge by Calderon given as a foul - even Howe seemed to accept it wasn't a foul, but commented “I would have felt hard done by if it had been given against us. In fairness to the referee, he has refereed us a number of times and he is a very good referee. He made an honest mistake" which I believe has been reported elsewhere with Howe calling him "Hoops" in an overly familiar way that rankled a lot of our fans). So it's understandable that the two refereeing howlers would get mixed up.

I thought the Elphick one was for handball, though (and that it wasn't even clear whose hand it was)?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just to add further clarification, the amex mistake TB mentions was also against Bournemouth, and involved them being awarded a penalty they should not have got denying us the win (clean challenge by Calderon given as a foul - even Howe seemed to accept it wasn't a foul, but commented “I would have felt hard done by if it had been given against us. In fairness to the referee, he has refereed us a number of times and he is a very good referee. He made an honest mistake" which I believe has been reported elsewhere with Howe calling him "Hoops" in an overly familiar way that rankled a lot of our fans). So it's understandable that the two refereeing howlers would get mixed up.

I thought the Elphick one was for handball, though (and that it wasn't even clear whose hand it was)?

He really isn’t a very good referee. Everton away had an absolute stinker.Was on VAR vs Utd and fecked that up as well.

Re Elphick, yes wasn’t it the other players hand as well?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I normally like your sense of humour but that’s below the belt given the hate for Maupay from quite a few NSCers :down:

No doubt you’ll get plenty of “likes” though :smile:

I don’t rate him (as you know).

But, there should be more spotlight on poor refereeing. Maupay was understandably frustrated.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He really isn’t a very good referee. Everton away had an absolute stinker.Was on VAR vs Utd and fecked that up as well.

Re Elphick, yes wasn’t it the other players hand as well?

I know there was certainly questions about whose arm it was, I remember not being able to tell and wondering how the ref could be so certain. I believe it was the lino that gave the penalty after the ref had initially awarded a free kick. And it was in the last minute so it didn't really give us a chance to score again to make the mistake less costly.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I wouldn't be surprised if Maupay has played his last game for us. I don't and never will slate players even Ally J as they try their best Irrespective whether they are good enough for the prem. I like Maupay's passion but feel Potter will get a better striker and Maupay will be off.

Agree with that. I'd slate players who weren't trying their best, though, and we've had a few over the years, notably the expensive JL.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Imagine if he did.....It would be worth getting a red for that!

It would be even better if a mistake connected the ref's mic to the stadium PA and picked it up. Mind you, I'd probably need medical treatment if I was there to hear it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, half their first teams are on that list. Above our 'top scorer'

Which is my whole point. Trossard, Welbeck, Lallana Gross etc should all be scoring and not leaving it all on Maupay's shoulders.
Just think if we had three players with 8 or 9 goals.

Southampton have got three players on that list. Hasn’t elevated them very far.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Have to agree with the Dan Burn rugby tackle, I still look at it in disbelief that Var didn't get Moss to look at it. You can bet your house that it would of been a pen if it was against our lads! Plenty of other shoves pulls and kicks that went unpunished too

Lamptey hand on shoulder v Palace springs to mind

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't misunderstand me, l have no respect for Jon Moss either, and agree that he is incompetent. But nevertheless the referee always in charge of the game, and Maupay knows that!

Without the officials, competent or otherwise, we don't have football.

Yes, we have VAR calling every decision!

Bottom line is centre halves kick forwards up in the air every game...that is how they play. If you are a forward you expect it. Yes you would hope for some kind of protection and you do at some time, however put yourself in the mind of a ref and don’t think yourself as a Brighton fan. Maupay is VERY quick to go down. We all know that most of forwards hurl themselves to the floor at the first opportunity. We all slag off Grealish and Zaha but they con refs just as everyone else does. If I was a decent centre half, and playing Maupay, I would kick him very hard because he has a very short fuse and easily wound up. We all know that.

Refs are dammed if they do by rose coloured spectacle fans or dammed if they don’t by TV.

Personally if someone had launched a tirade at me, I would have sent him off too....

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is what Brian Owen wrote

The Albion striker was suspended for two games after he was shown a red card by referee Jonathan Moss at Wolves on Sunday.

That ban could now be extended.

Maupay was sent off for dissent after approaching Moss and his colleagues at full-time.

The charge relates to what happened after the red card was shown.

Umm...since when has dissent been a red card offence?

"Dissent" is a cautionable offence surely.

Yup

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Somewhat surprised that Brian Owen appears to be ignorant of the laws of the game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The single biggest problem in our game has long been the lack of accountability for referees , with VAR the last excuse of a bad decision should have gone .

Nope. The single biggest problem in our game is player cheating, tolerated by managers and excused by pundits, and invisible to fans when it suits them, that makes it impossible for a ref to really judge an incident - and it happens 100 times a game. Then each individual refereeing "error" (ie when he gets a call wrong) is identified, amplified, picked apart in slo mo until it feels like refs are all shit at their jobs all the time.

Players make mistakes all game. Refs make mistakes - and more often than they did because players are such frickin' diving cheats. But it's refs that are the biggest problem? Behave.

Players swear - no problem Players swear at refs? Send them off. Refs aren't the problem here.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yes, we have VAR calling every decision!

Bottom line is centre halves kick forwards up in the air every game...that is how they play. If you are a forward you expect it. Yes you would hope for some kind of protection and you do at some time, however put yourself in the mind of a ref and don’t think yourself as a Brighton fan. Maupay is VERY quick to go down. We all know that most of forwards hurl themselves to the floor at the first opportunity. We all slag off Grealish and Zaha but they con refs just as everyone else does. If I was a decent centre half, and playing Maupay, I would kick him very hard because he has a very short fuse and easily wound up. We all know that.

Refs are dammed if they do by rose coloured spectacle fans or dammed if they don’t by TV.

Personally if someone had launched a tirade at me, I would have sent him off too....

Other than missing BDB getting bundled over, which pundits and commentators at the time didn't agree was a pen, thought Moss had a decent enough game. As you say, someone who was probably chewing your ear off all game then has a go at you while you're walking off, what's the ref supposed to do, just take it? Maupay had to be dragged away in the end, ridiculous. Try having your impact during the game Neal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here