Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hurricane Milton, Florida

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The issue is the direct collision course with a densely populated area. Obviously the lower the category the better, but this is looking to be devastating no matter what number is put on it. I just hope lives can be spared and everyone possible was able to get out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cat 3 means winds "dropping" to around 120mph, with gusts of up to 150mph.

They just interviewed the mayor of Clearwater on Newsnight. He stated that the emergency services will NOT be responding to callout requests whilst the winds are at a consistent 50mph+. Which petty much looks like a given.

They also interviewed a family - mum, dad, 6 year old lad - who are staying home to "ride it out". Dad has done some prep, battening the house up. It'll be interesting to see them on tomorrow nights Newsnight to see how they did. Best of luck to them.

Oh, and the guy who was interviewed on his medium sized wooden BOAT, moored to a quayside in a marina, who is staying put because "I ain't got nowhere else to go". I expect he'll wind up somewhere around Cape Canaveral.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Oh, and the guy who was interviewed on his medium sized wooden BOAT, moored to a quayside in a marina, who is staying put because "I ain't got nowhere else to go". I expect he'll wind up somewhere around Cape Canaveral.

Christ, surely he's a gonna. Poor guy ☹️

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Christ, surely he's a gonna. Poor guy ☹️
I fear his boat will be reduced to matchwood, and its not like he can do anything about it just by him being there. I truly, truly hope he comes to his senses and gets out of Dodge, even if its just to higher ground somewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jim Cantore casually standing in a multi-storey car park in Charlotte Harbour with water around his knees is what I'm here for.

He'll go up a level, certainly, but only just before he's about to drown.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve been watching the Ventusky App for wind speeds, and tracking the hurricane.

The worst thing I’ve seen on social media is some bastard abandoned their dog by tying it up to a post! Thankfully a policeman saw it, and rescued it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve been watching the Ventusky App for wind speeds, and tracking the hurricane.

The worst thing I’ve seen on social media is some bastard abandoned their dog by tying it up to a post! Thankfully a policeman saw it, and rescued it.

As with Hurricane Katrina (cat 3 on landfall) isn’t the devastation/risk to life from Hurricane Milton likely to come from the storm surge?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

They just interviewed the mayor of Clearwater on Newsnight. He stated that the emergency services will NOT be responding to callout requests whilst the winds are at a consistent 50mph+. Which petty much looks like a given.

They also interviewed a family - mum, dad, 6 year old lad - who are staying home to "ride it out". Dad has done some prep, battening the house up. It'll be interesting to see them on tomorrow nights Newsnight to see how they did. Best of luck to them.

I assume you're talking about "Lieutenant Dan":

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I assume you're talking about "Lieutenant Dan":

Yeah, that was the guy (didn't know the name though).

I wish it could be amusing in some way, but its really not. Someone there needs to make him see sense, or this could well be the death of him. I'm sure all the news crews will have a safe place to go. I hope they can give him that option.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yeah, that was the guy (didn't know the name though).

I wish it could be amusing in some way, but its really not. Someone there needs to make him see sense, or this could well be the death of him. I'm sure all the news crews will have a safe place to go. I hope they can give him that option.
He has become known as that after the character on Forrest Gump. That isn't his real name:-

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He has become known as that after the character on Forrest Gump. That isn't his real name:-

Yeah, I guessed it was some kind of media moniker.

When he starts saying the safest place to be in a flood is on a boat - "we learned that from Noah. Everybody that stayed on land drowned". Kinell.

It never ceases to amaze me how a fictional book about a sky fairy from 2,000 years ago still drives some peoples life decisions. Especially in a situation like this. There is literally nowhere I would rather NOT be than in a rickety little boat in Tampa Bay right now, with this bearing down on it.

It will be so awful if the worst happens to this chap. Well, anyone of course. But after he's been highlighted like this by the media, it'd be all the more upsetting. I'm hoping CNN pick up with him in 24 hours and alls well and he can say he was absolutely right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here