Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hurricane Milton, Florida

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You may think a Cat 2/3 is a ‘storm in a teacup’ but the people that have lost everything, including loved ones and pets in this storm won’t think that.

I (like other NSC members probably) have family living in Huston that was devastated by Hurricane Harvey, I also have family living in Atlanta Georgia that was impacted by extreme flooding and loss of life from Helene. Are you suggesting people should not live and work in Florida or Georgia? Or Texas? People do live with the risk because more often than not have to - but they have lived with hurricanes for years and are hardened to them - you don’t hear them complaining - believe me, they are more stoical and patient than anyone in the UK would be if they lost property or were without power for weeks on end because of extreme weather events..

Surely you are not suggesting that people shouldn’t not live in Tornado Alley either ( ie Oklahoma, Kansas, Sth Dakota etc) because their homes may be destroyed by an F3?

I think a bit of realism is needed here - it’s one thing to choose not to go on holiday during the peak hurricane season and another to relocate to another part of the US when your entire livelihoods and family are tied to the local area.

The flooding that is occurring in parts of Florida are 1 in 1,000 years - not that is relevant tbh as it doesn’t lessen the impact..

The hurricane season effects States all around the Gulf of Mexico - From Texas (Hurricane Harvey) , to Louisiana,(Hurricane Katrina) right round to the Florida panhandle (Irma, Helene, Milton) - and on the East coast too from storms developing in the Atlantic that turn before entering the Gulf - The impacts of these storms are felt 100s of miles away, with devastating flooding associated with storm surges and heavy rain often causing a massive loss of agricultural animal stock, property and loss of human life - 2 million people in the State of Florida are currently under flash flood warnings.

It is a myth to think Atlantic hurricanes only effect parts of Florida and only people in the direct path of a hurricane are impacted. Georgia, South and North Carolina are also often heavily impacted from severe flooding from the extreme rainfall and tornadoes these hurricanes can bring with them. Hurricane Sandy on the Eastern seaboard was pushing out tropical storm conditions on its outer bands stretching 1,150 miles wide and impacted 24 States.

Not everyone can afford homes insurance or have alternatives if their livelihoods and properties are destroyed - millions of Americans are born in these regions under the poverty line and are not socially mobile so more often than not, have no choice where they live.

These storms are not increasing but they are intensifying more rapidly and are getting larger and it is only predicted to get worse as the seas of the Gulf and Atlantic continue to rise above normal average temperatures.
All valid points, and I am aware that extreme weather can affect all parts of America including places like Michigan, I had the fortune to be on Lake St Clair in a boat when a tornado came from nowhere it seemed, we had to find refuge on Harsens Island, I have never seen rain like it, I then heard faint shouts for help while I was stood on a veranda having a smoke watching it pass through, I ran to the docks and a chap had fallen into the water between the dock and his boat, I shouted for help and we dragged him up, I am aware of the repercussions of the weather. Maybe I should not have posted my post to apologise for that.
I do however still wonder why would you build in such dangerous areas, but understand that most homes are built from wood so they can be easily and quickly re built.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Update from Port St Lucie. At 5am local time. We have sustained winds of 38mph gusting 55mph. It’s still dark outside but we are lucky as we have power. Going to be like this for the next 12 hours.
Glad you stayed safe.

Sad news of multiple fatalities near to you at the Spanish Lakes Country Club which got hit by tornadoes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All valid points, and I am aware that extreme weather can affect all parts of America including places like Michigan, I had the fortune to be on Lake St Clair in a boat when a tornado came from nowhere it seemed, we had to find refuge on Harsens Island, I have never seen rain like it, I then heard faint shouts for help while I was stood on a veranda having a smoke watching it pass through, I ran to the docks and a chap had fallen into the water between the dock and his boat, I shouted for help and we dragged him up, I am aware of the repercussions of the weather. Maybe I should not have posted my post to apologise for that.
I do however still wonder why would you build in such dangerous areas, but understand that most homes are built from wood so they can be easily and quickly re built.
Wooden framed homes are more resistant from hurricanes on par strength wise to a steel structure.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Winds in Faversham have now reached over 7,000 miles per hour.

View attachment 190049

Scenes of devastation here.

View attachment 190048
That’s nothing. Over 15k here in Crowborough

IMG_3231.png

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I slept through that like a baby which annoyed me as all my mates were out experiencing getting blown down the street.
Slept through it too, got up in morning to see a tree had blown over and roots lifted half our driveway, with step dad insisting I should stay home and not do my paper round but me worried I'd get boot if I didn't turn up.

did turn up and newsagents was unsurprisingly closed for day!

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Glad you stayed safe.

Sad news of multiple fatalities near to you at the Spanish Lakes Country Club which got hit by tornadoes.
Thanks. That was only 5 miles from us. Reporting that over a 100 homes damaged there.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It’s an over 55 community. At least 2 fatalities, could be more once we have daylight to check.
Thanks. I guess that means his mate and his family are unaffected.

Have you been affected? You're just down the coast aren't you?

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Thanks. I guess that means his mate and his family are unaffected.

Have you been affected? You're just down the coast aren't you?
We are 5 miles south from there In Port St Lucie. The hurricane shutters on my condo are working. So far just very very windy. Once we get daylight I will have a better idea.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Update. Daylight reveals still steady winds at 25-30 mph with gusts up to 40mph until 4pm and lots of vegetation debris. Fatality count at Spanish Lakes now 4. We still have power but 3.3m without power in Florida mainly on West Coast.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

HillBarnTillIDie

Jul 2, 2011
At what point do you say “This location is not suitable for habitation due to adverse and changing weather conditions”?

Where does everyone go when they evacuate the towns??

And the cost…. Just Insurance alone must be astronomical.. or maybe not even viable in hurricane corridor areas.

Devastating

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At what point do you say “This location is not suitable for habitation due to adverse and changing weather conditions”?

Where does everyone go when they evacuate the towns??

And the cost…. Just Insurance alone must be astronomical.. or maybe not even viable in hurricane corridor areas.

Devastating
Watch it, I asked this question earlier and got beat down as a right wing thick as mince retard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here