Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hurricane Milton, Florida

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But it was you who brought up politics and Trump in a weather thread. Trump derangement Syndrome.
Merely sharing the wise words of Marjorie Taylor Greene, far right US politician, conspiracy theorist and amateur part time meteorologist.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was obviously making light of the situation, but in all fairness why move, build or live somewhere like these areas when events like this are pretty much a common occurrence, surely you take this into account, buyer beware.
WTF?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Showing Biden on BBC News talking to those involved. FFS this man is barely alive.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Pardon my ignorance, but these hurricanes/tornadoes aren’t a 21st century thing, they’ve always happened, is it because its an apparent media frenzy so we get to see all the evacuation process and the aftermath of the extreme weather conditions?

Or is this actually worse than in previous decades and part of the effects of global warming?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There was a guy on 5Live this morning in Tampa who was outside the mandatory evacuation zone and had decided to stay put and ride it out.

When he was asking about his risks he said there was a swamp behind his backyard that was full of gators...
There will be a swamp in his living room full of alligators tomorrow.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Pardon my ignorance, but these hurricanes/tornadoes aren’t a 21st century thing, they’ve always happened, is it because its an apparent media frenzy so we get to see all the evacuation process and the aftermath of the extreme weather conditions?

Or is this actually worse than in previous decades and part of the effects of global warming?
Yes

Yes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its not new, there's a dozen or two hurricanes every year. most fizzle out beofre landfall or track off across the sea. the frenzy is because this one is cat 4-5, the strongest, and smashing straight into a high population area. no one cared about the cat 5 hurricane Beryl in June, which weakend before crossing Yucatan peninsula.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cant say I am a massive fan of his, but Ron Desantis always seems impressive in these situations

DeSantis, Harris, Biden and Florida’s attorney general have all sung from the same hymn sheet on this. Nice to see party politics ditched for once. Warning of the extreme danger to life from the storm surge, to evacuate.

The outlier, no surprise, is the sh1t stirring rapist Trump.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Merely sharing the wise words of Marjorie Taylor Greene, far right US politician, conspiracy theorist and amateur part time meteorologist.
She's probably blaming the hurricanes on those pesky Jewish space lasers.

Meantime in the wake of Helene, Trump is still busily spreading bullshit saying that billions of emergency funds for hurricane victims are being spent on housing for illegal immigrants (they're not), disaster victims are only receiving a total of $750 each (they're not, thats only athe initial up-front emergency payment), Biden didn't speak to the governor of Georgia (he did), and there was no helicoptor rescues in North Carolina (there were 146 flight missions rescuing 548 people and 150 pets).

What a GUY

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
She's probably blaming the hurricanes on those pesky Jewish space lasers.

Meantime in the wake of Helene, Trump is still busily spreading bullshit saying that billions of emergency funds for hurricane victims are being spent on housing for illegal immigrants (they're not), disaster victims are only receiving a total of $750 each (they're not, thats only athe initial up-front emergency payment), Biden didn't speak to the governor of Georgia (he did), and there was no helicoptor rescues in North Carolina (there were 146 flight missions rescuing 548 people and 150 pets).

What a GUY

All lapped up by thick as sh1t nodding donkeys.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was in Florida in 2005 for Hurricane Katrina and memory of it was two fold.

1. The sheer amount of water that fell out the sky. It was obviously windy but the rain was something else. It ended up coming out the light fitting in our room.
2. We were staying at a hotel in the Florida Keyes and were having breakfast whilst it was absolutely pissing down and the wind was causing literally everything to rattle whether it moved or not. I wandered past a couple of Americans on the way out who I'd met the previous day and said "See you by the pool"

The husband looked at me and said "Aw man, I don't think it's open today" Facking hell.

Wishing everyone all the best over there.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
My son's mate in Fort Pierce, north of Miami, says tornado sirens have been going. He says there were 16 tornadoes, 2 miles from his house, down to 9 about an hour ago.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Ignorance is a good description of your blind spot as plenty of media are explaining why this particular hurricane is an issue.

You are correct in asserting that there have always been hurricanes/tornadoes. But the ‘new’ thing is power rather than frequency so much. In terms of media coverage, this isn’t quantum physics so the observer does not affect the outcome.

The sea is too warm. The warmer the sea, the more powerful the hurricane. 165mph winds and 15ft storm surges have not always happened.

I suspect the Daily Mail and Sun have come up with non-scientific reasons why the sea is too warm but the overwhelming scientific consensus is it’s down to global warming, as ‘woke’ as that probably sounds to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here