Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hurricane Milton, Florida

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The problem, as always, is that extreme weather such as hurricanes are nothing new. Sceptics cite this, whilst change activists claim the opposite. World leaders must actually lead on this but Trump will not
Climate change activists aren’t claiming extreme weather events are ‘new’. In the OP, I said there is no evidence hurricanes are increasing but it is widely recognised that they are becoming more intense and in a faster time period which is being attributed to climate change.

This hurricane went from a tropical storm to a Category 5 hurricane in 24 hrs - typically it takes days for a hurricane of this strength to develop.

It left very little time for people to prepare - especially those communities in the Yukatán Peninsula on the SE coast of Mexico.

Agree with you completely on the politics.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
I was out in Florida when Irma hit in 2017 - it passed right through Orlando and was definitely one of the most terrifying experiences I have ever had.

One thing that has to be said is that the news coverage is exceptional - they don't over do it and are calm and factual - we were holed up in our hotel and fortunately didnt lose power, and they were minute by minute accurate about when the worst hit and it helps that they dont sensationalise it at all. I still have the phrase "hide from the wind, run from the water" etched in my mind from it.

Hoping and praying that it passes through with minimal loss of property / life, although sadly, I fear this will be catastrophic for the west coast there

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Plenty of countries are dealing with storms like Florida is experiencing. Places like the Philippines and Mozambique with far greater human and infrastructure impact. They just don’t get media attention in the UK
I suppose it’s partly because many people in the UK have so many relatives living in the States compared to the Philippines ( most of my family live in the US) and we have much closer ties economically - it’s only natural that we‘d give hurricanes in the US more attention than eg Typhoons in India.

I agree entirely though - the impacts of extreme weather events are much worse on poor and less developed populations ☹️

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I suppose it’s partly because many people in the UK have so many relatives living in the States compared to the Philippines ( most of my family live in the US) and we have much closer ties economically - it’s only natural that we‘d give hurricanes in the US more attention than eg Typhoons in India.

I agree entirely though - the impacts of extreme weather events are much worse on poor and less developed populations ☹️
Yeap plus lots of Brits go there on hols. With sensible precautions human loss should be minimal, huge insurance bill coming.

The future for Florida doesn't looks good, its super vulnerable as there is so much low lying land.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Climate change activists aren’t claiming extreme weather events are ‘new’. In the OP, I said there is no evidence hurricanes are increasing but it is widely recognised that they are becoming more intense and in a faster time period which is being attributed to climate change.

This hurricane went from a tropical storm to a Category 5 hurricane in 24 hrs - typically it takes days for a hurricane of this strength to develop.

It left very little time for people to prepare - especially those communities in the Yukatán Peninsula on the SE coast of Mexico.

Agree with you completely on the politics.

100% agree and the increase in intensity, volatility and unpredictability has always been the predicted outcome of CC. Headlines like ‘worst for 100 years’, however, works for the sceptics because they can say ‘we’ve been here before’.

Perhaps it’s fair to say those that are still denying CC are in a small enough minority now but if the majority do indeed agree with CC, there is still a minority willing to support action if it in any way costs or inconveniences them directly. That goes just as much here as it does in the US.

Of course the ultimate losers will be the poorest in the world who make little or no contribution to the problem and so cannot affect the outcome either. ☹️

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really don't want to trivialise this at all, but I can think of nothing I'd enjoy more than being on that plane going through that.
I was tracking it on FlightRadar last night whilst watching Ryan Hall Y'All, and I noticed a big jet seemingly going through the eastern side of Milton. I tapped on it to see what it was, and it was a Gatiwck to Cancun flight. I imagine they had a few bumps on their descent.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
A reminder of the batshit stuff going on in the USA Republicans right now. The reality...

Jeez, are the Republicans claiming that this is Fake Weather? :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
You've gotta be kinda thankful these huge hurricanes mostly make landfall in the country most economically able to deal with it. Imagine Bangladesh or India was pounded by Cat 5 tornadoes year after year, the level of destruction and lives lost would be an order of magnitude higher.

In that part of the world they are Typhoons, and I believe Bangladesh gets the odd 1 or 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here