Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Farm Travellers.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
You seem to think that anyone with the above lifestyle has been conned in to it ? Personally I like having my own home and equally I like to be warm in it and use my electrical gadgets. I, like most people, pay the TV license to watch TV - I'm not brainwashed by the BBC - I use a number of sources for my current affairs. Oh, and I quite like my boss.

I've got a feeling you're a hypocrite - I'd imagine you have a mortgage or at least pay rent to a nasty greedy landlord. You pay money to watch the football thus helping fund greedy footballer wages. I assume you steal your gas and electric rather than pay the corporations ? And I hope you never set foot in one of the big supermarkets ? Or indeed have a bank account ?

Just once, stop looking for a conspiracy and assuming everyone is sleep walking into some kind of hell and accept a lot of us LIKE to live our lives this way. I work to have a nice home, nice stuff and nice holidays and that's what I CHOOSE to do.

I have no problem with anyone deciding to live their lives another way but they should live within the law regardless.

i am only attacking the ppl on here who are in group think - judging and being stereotypical.

my post did not make out you are conned into anything, just that each person has the right to choose their lifestyle.

after paying over 400k tax in my life in tax to a bunch of idiots, i have worked out a life where i pay no mortgage, rent, bills, or tax, but live extremely comfortably with lots of amazing stuff and comforts at no one elses expense - work that one out - or does it not fit into your box?

never heard of free energy? there are loads of alternatives.

i try and steer away from supermarkets due to many reasons, and i bank and invest with co-op.

if you think paying completely over the top for tax and bills is NOT sleep walking - then i am worried for your mental state.

unlike you i question the law when i feel it stupid.

i neither smell nor hurt or take from anyone else, and am deemed by many i know above average intelligence.

you, are a judgmental fool.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
i am only attacking the ppl on here who are in group think - judging and being stereotypical.

my post did not make out you are conned into anything, just that each person has the right to choose their lifestyle.

after paying over 400k tax in my life in tax to a bunch of idiots, i have worked out a life where i pay no mortgage, rent, bills, or tax, but live extremely comfortably with lots of amazing stuff and comforts at no one elses expense - work that one out - or does it not fit into your box?

i try and steer away from supermarkets due to many reasons, and i bank and invest with co-op.

if you think paying completely over the top for tax and bills is NOT sleep walking - then i am worried for your mental state.

i neither smell nor hurt or take from anyone else, and am deemed by many i know above average intelligence.

So are you self sufficlent or do you take money from the State?

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
I can only assume that you have never lived anywhere near a travellers camp, those of us who have (I have twice in the last ten years) would agree with Bushy. It's time for people to stop being so 'politically correct' and try accepting facts. There are numerous examples of anti socila behaviour of 'Travellers' and frankly trying to compare the litter left (allegedly) by Albion fans to that of travellers is more than slightly ridiculous.

However this is rather straying from the point, the issue is that they are camped on land that is not meant for habitation. The land would have been considerably cheaper to purchase because of this. If the original purchaser had bought land that way set aside for deveopment it would have been considerably more expensive.

There have been numerous examples of anti social behaviour of my next door neighbours. They live in a flat. The guy down the road from me has a front yard full of Skoda's and Skoda parts, I'd guess his house has three bedrooms. Ever seen a farm yard? Your point is?

I'd guarantee you that the tax money that went into clearing up after public entertainment events would outweigh tax money spent on (allegedly) clearing up after gypsies by at least 100:1 (I expect in reality that the figure is more like 10000:1, but I'm being conservative). There's money in scrap metals, which is a traditional form of enterprise of gypsies - many of them have registered Ltd tax paying scrap metal companies. So if some sites have piles of scrap metals, it's because their buisness is in scrap metals. There are scrap metal sites near to the guy with Skodas, not gypsy run, so they are A-OK.

Yes, it's time to accept the facts.

Whether land is meant for habitation (or not) is something you discuss with the planning department. There are no steadfast rules, in some circumstances the planners will let you build on green belt. Certainly, you could buy a parcel of green belt land inexpensively, and get permission for a caravan. Yes YOU could. And ME. They are caravans: temporary dwellings. The development issue is completely different.

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
I think it is worth adding here (because most of you have no clue of the situation, the last thing you'd want to do was inform yourselves) that in this particular case at Dale Farm, half of the residents live legally on well-manicured plots, with permission, the other half illegally occupy official green-belt land. Over the past 10 years they have turned the plot into a fully functioning community complete with amenities, a chapel and an education/youth club.

So in answer to some of your planning objections, half of these guys are legit. Legally entitled to live there, in their caravans/chalets. If you object to that then you oppose the law of the country, which many of you seem steadfastly interested in protecting in your posts. So the non-legit ones are getting evicted. That's all well and good, as it's the law. However the law also protects people, and the government are required by law to find these people somewhere else to live. They haven't. So who is breaking the law?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'm a tad confused; if these people set up camp on a piece of land for years, why do they call themselves 'travellers'?

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
I'm a tad confused; if these people set up camp on a piece of land for years, why do they call themselves 'travellers'?

I expect the term 'traveller' was given to them - you'd have to go study the etymology of the term. Certainly the word gypsy was given to them. Many of them call themselves Romani, or Tinkers, or Gitanes, Gitanos, Tziganes or a number of the different ethnic groups lumped into the term. Like the blacks innit. Doubt they rocked up and said, 'yo, we're the blacks', I bet they said 'I'm from Ghana' 'I'm from the Ivory Coast' etc etc. You get my point.

The reason they can no longer travel has been discussed already.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There have been numerous examples of anti social behaviour of my next door neighbours. They live in a flat. The guy down the road from me has a front yard full of Skoda's and Skoda parts, I'd guess his house has three bedrooms. Ever seen a farm yard? Your point is?

I'd guarantee you that the tax money that went into clearing up after public entertainment events would outweigh tax money spent on (allegedly) clearing up after gypsies by at least 100:1 (I expect in reality that the figure is more like 10000:1, but I'm being conservative). There's money in scrap metals, which is a traditional form of enterprise of gypsies - many of them have registered Ltd tax paying scrap metal companies. So if some sites have piles of scrap metals, it's because their buisness is in scrap metals. There are scrap metal sites near to the guy with Skodas, not gypsy run, so they are A-OK.

Yes, it's time to accept the facts.

Whether land is meant for habitation (or not) is something you discuss with the planning department. There are no steadfast rules, in some circumstances the planners will let you build on green belt. Certainly, you could buy a parcel of green belt land inexpensively, and get permission for a caravan. Yes YOU could. And ME. They are caravans: temporary dwellings. The development issue is completely different.

My point is based on personal experience. Do your neighbours harrass you ? Has the crime rate increased since they moved in ? Do they defocate in your garden ? I see you carefuly dodge the point about land that is Green Belt is being used illegally but I suppose you wouldn't notice given your PC blinkers. No doubt you'd be happy to have the South Downs turned into a housing estate. As far as building on Green Belt is concerned this can only be done with prior permission and do your really think the current landlord did that ? I know for a fact the travellers near me didn't and in fact my Council are working towards evicting them for exactly the same reasons. I just wonder why given their Irish heritage that they feel so deeply about they just don't return to the EMerald Isle.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I expect the term 'traveller' was given to them - you'd have to go study the etymology of the term. Certainly the word gypsy was given to them. Many of them call themselves Romani, or Tinkers, or Gitanes, Gitanos, Tziganes or a number of the different ethnic groups lumped into the term. Like the blacks innit. Doubt they rocked up and said, 'yo, we're the blacks', I bet they said 'I'm from Ghana' 'I'm from the Ivory Coast' etc etc. You get my point.

The reason they can no longer travel has been discussed already.

Gypsies tend to go to great lengths to distinguish themselves from 'Travellers' but never mind, as you're an 'expert' why would you care ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basildon Council should have done a deal with Sky Box Office for a £5 Pay Per View Bailiff vs Pikey Face-Off, bulldozers go in at 7pm.

There'd be a damn sight more action than the last David Haye fight, that's for sure...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

timdogman

Oct 12, 2006
Portslade
Gypsies tend to go to great lengths to distinguish themselves from 'Travellers' but never mind, as you're an 'expert' why would you care ?

Great lengths? Like the widespread media coverage they get? Jesus, the poor bastards are lucky to get Vanessa Redgrave and David Essex helping them attain a voice. They've got f*** all, and you'd wish they had f***ing less. As for shitting in your garden, I f***ing would, because you've demonstrated nothing but ignorance, hate, vile, sweeping generalisations and unfounded accusations. Given the choice of you as my neighbour or a gypsy encampment? It's a no brainer. If some gypsies rocked up next door, I'd walk over, introduce myself as I would anyother person - maybe take them a cake. That's what you do for neighbours isn't it? I bet you and your cronies jeered, sneered and heckled insults. And you wonder why there's shit in your garden.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Other than the sheer amount of abuse, racism and mis-information, this stead-fast righteousness of some posters banging on about the law is absurd. I would wager that every single person on this board has intentionally or unintentionally broken a law - whether that's smoking a spliff or parking on double yellow lines. Yet, if someone else breaks a law they should be banged up immediately. I don't see you lot down the beach in the summer telling everyone to stop blazing ganga, and hurling abuse at those that do - nor do I see you confiscating drink off street drinkers - enforcing parking etc. Seriously, if you believe in the law, abide by it completely, uphold it in all areas then pass a judgement on others. As for any anecdotal tales of wrong doing by these people, report them in the proper manner, to the authorities.

Wake up mate.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton

Wow! You sound amazing, what a guy, can I be you? :banana:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Let them stay I say, move them on and they will be back on the road, turning up somewhere else.

Their kids are at school there, which is progress when you consider traveller kids have the lowest academic achievement of any social group.

A bit of humanity to one's fellow man never hurt anybody

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Those who are illegilly camped are breaking the law and should have been moved on long ago,the legal system allows them to delay action being taken,the situation is serious for those wanting to move away because no one is happy to come into the area, not even the Redgrave women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here