Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Guilty. I'd have settled for 0-2 referee stopped fight at half time. Very happy to be proved wrong.
As I made my way to the concourse at half time in a the middle of a sea of chuntering mostly miserable fans a young guy behind me said "cheer up, we'll get three goals 2nd half and win". I wish I'd seen who it was so I could have asked him for the lottery numbers after the game!

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
They could have scored in the first minute because of our high line though, and we look extremely vulnerable because of it. We can't just ignore the frailty on the basis that Spurs fluffed the chance.
This argument holds less water the more games we don't conceed a goal due to it. None vs Chelsea and non vs Spurs. This starts to suggest it's working.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As I made my way to the concourse at half time in a the middle of a sea of chuntering mostly miserable fans a young guy behind me said "cheer up, we'll get three goals 2nd half and win". I wish I'd seen who it was so I could have asked him for the lottery numbers after the game!
Well, my boy makes the pair of us predict the outcome and the scorers. I went for three-all, with Minteh, Mitoma and Welbeck. You can guess what he went for. He's very good at it, and it leaves me in a bit of a dilemma: I don't want to encourage him to take up gambling; but ...

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I don't generally enjoy fans' videos...but that was great for some reason 😂
This really shows the lie that the Amex doesnt make a noise and fans cant be heard anywhere-given that was recorded right in the middle of the spurs fans, you couldnt hear the the guy talking second half because the noise of the Brighton fans was drowning them out

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This argument holds less water the more games we don't conceed a goal due to it. None vs Chelsea and non vs Spurs. This starts to suggest it's working.

I'm happy if we can get it working, but I don't think we can use a game where we shipped 4 goals in the first half as evidence that it's working. Chelsea didn't need to score any more goals and were happy to stop us scoring, so they didn't need to beat our offside trap. We've let in more goals than anyone else in the top half, as many as relegation poised Palace.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I'm happy if we can get it working, but I don't think we can use a game where we shipped 4 goals in the first half as evidence that it's working. Chelsea didn't need to score any more goals and were happy to stop us scoring, so they didn't need to beat our offside trap. We've let in more goals than anyone else in the top half, as many as relegation poised Palace.
We have been defensively poor at times, but mostly the goals have come from giving the ball away not from balls over the top from a high line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

We have been defensively poor at times, but mostly the goals have come from giving the ball away not from balls over the top from a high line.

I'm just going to add that the second goal we conceded against Spurs was because of our high line. We were on the half way line, Solanke got the ball, passed it through our centre backs, Werner ran into the area with it (while our defenders were all running towards our own goal), and laid it off to Maddison who scored.

Obviously Verbruggen should have done better, but the chance was because of our high line.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I'm just going to add that the second goal we conceded against Spurs was because of our high line. We were on the half way line, Solanke got the ball, passed it through our centre backs, Werner ran into the area with it (while our defenders were all running towards our own goal), and laid it off to Maddison who scored.

Obviously Verbruggen should have done better, but the chance was because of our high line.
It wasn't though. We gave the ball away again in our own half. That has been the major issue leading to goals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It wasn't though. We gave the ball away again in our own half.

No we didn't. Re-watch the goal. We couldn't give it away in our half, we didn't have anyone in our half. Spurs played it out from their keeper, we defended on the halfway line and we didn't get a touch until it was on the way into our net.

Solanke only had one touch in our half. Spurs' second touch in our half, was in our penalty area!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two goals were from missplaced passes (Webster and Verbruggen), one was a penalty and the last was an error from Estupinan leading to a free kick. All had nothing to do with the high line.
Go and watch again, see what led to the situation that saw Pervis haul the guy down for Palmer’s free kick - THEN tell us that none of the goals had ‘anything to do with the high line’.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
No we didn't. Re-watch the goal. We couldn't give it away in our half, we didn't have anyone in our half. Spurs played it out from their keeper, we defended on the halfway line and we didn't get a touch until it was on the way into our net.

Solanke only had one touch in our half. Spurs' second touch in our half, was in our penalty area!
Rutter gives the ball away in our own half for the first. For the second it's not a ball over the high back line at all, they never break past us and it results is a weak shot and an individual error.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rutter gives the ball away in our own half for the first.

We're talking about the second goal so why have you added the first goal?

For the second it's not a ball over the high back line at all, they never break past us and it results is a weak shot and an individual error.

The ball went through our high back line, rather than over it. Since when did it need to go over us for the high line to be the issue? Spurs played two passes and attacked with pace and we were in immediate trouble. It was the opposite of having men behind the ball. It's also irrelevant that the shot was weak and the save attempt poor - if it had been a better shot and gone in, it would still have been a goal due our high line. You're defending the idea that the high line isn't to blame for the sake of it.

Without that high line, Maddison doesn't get the shot and they don't score.

That's not to say there aren't benefits of playing with a high back line, giving the opposition less space to work with and pressing them, but on that occasion, like on many other occasions recently, it didn't work for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here