Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

The girl in the pyjama bottoms needs to find some self respect. Gandalf's idiot brother needs to act his age. And the Asian guys confused me with their Utd tops. At least we only have Luke and his sex faces when we score and Ecuadorian Penfold who actually go to the games. And the young lad (can't remember his name) who is good but needs to stop hawking fake shirt companies as I can't imagine the club would be pleased.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
They could have scored in the first minute because of our high line though, and we look extremely vulnerable because of it. We can't just ignore the frailty on the basis that Spurs fluffed the chance.
I’d get used to it if I were you. Hurzeler is a brave manager who uses high risk tactics. We will concede more goals playing his style, that’s just a fact that certain folk need to adapt to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’d get used to it if I were you. Hurzeler is a brave manager who uses high risk tactics. We will concede more goals playing his style, that’s just a fact that certain folk need to adapt to.
But Fab doesn't seem to think so, based on him saying he'd rather win 1-0 than 5-2.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Welbeck said they was bitterly disappointed and embarrassed by that first half. So fans read the shambles correctly.

He also pointed out that the reason he felt it was a shambles was that he (and others) didn’t take their chances. We had opportunities in the first half, almost as many as Spurs did, but we didn’t take them.

There was enough there in the first half to make the mass outbreak of pissiness unnecessary. We weren’t a team having no chances and devoid of intent, we just weren’t as good as Spurs were in the first half. Thankfully we were better than them in the second.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I like that Fabian has said that the players need to inspire the supporters to get behind the team as they did in the second half. He seems to be very aware that if the team play shit the support from the terraces will be muted. Maybe we can now start games well and get the fans as a 12th man from the off.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
He also pointed out that the reason he felt it was a shambles was that he (and others) didn’t take their chances. We had opportunities in the first half, almost as many as Spurs did, but we didn’t take them.

There was enough there in the first half to make the mass outbreak of pissiness unnecessary. We weren’t a team having no chances and devoid of intent, we just weren’t as good as Spurs were in the first half. Thankfully we were better than them in the second.
This where football is so interesting, we watched the same game but saw it totally differently. I thought we were totally outplayed first half. Spurs had a goal disallowed for a narrow offside, missed a glorious chance inside a minute and had Brennan Johnson clean through for a third just before the break whereas we had one Danny Welbeck chance and a speculative header from him that never looked like it was going in. To say we we had almost as many chances of them is frankly just untrue. They were carving us open.

I think it was one of the worst first half performances I have seen from us at home in a while and coming off the back of the Chelsea game where let’s be honest we could have conceded 7/8 and the very naive second half v Forest I can totally understand why people were concerned and expressing their frustrations .

We are all delighted we turned it round and I really hope this is a huge moment of belief for the manager and players but let’s not completely rewrite recent history.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I had forgotten until just watching Ronald's video that the evident frustration from the stands with Bart not getting the ball forward quickly to two players haring up the wings was actually the start of the passage of play that led to the equaliser.

DJ Chi

Mar 10, 2023
This where football is so interesting, we watched the same game but saw it totally differently. I thought we were totally outplayed first half. Spurs had a goal disallowed for a narrow offside, missed a glorious chance inside a minute and had Brennan Johnson clean through for a third just before the break whereas we had one Danny Welbeck chance and a speculative header from him that never looked like it was going in. To say we we had almost as many chances of them is frankly just untrue. They were carving us open.

I think it was one of the worst first half performances I have seen from us at home in a while and coming off the back of the Chelsea game where let’s be honest we could have conceded 7/8 and the very naive second half v Forest I can totally understand why people were concerned and expressing their frustrations .

We are all delighted we turned it round and I really hope this is a huge moment of belief for the manager and players but let’s not completely rewrite recent history.
And yet, by xG, we were only 0.3 behind Spurs at the break. Welbeck's chance was the best chance of the half (0.4xG), the 'glorious chance' in the first minute was worth 0.07xG, Johnson clean through was worth 0.14, Johnson's goal 0.37.

I think a large part of the concern with our style of play stems from the offside 'goals', which in reality are worth 0.00 xG but fans treat as if they are real chances as the play is allowed to develop after the offence. We wouldn't have the same opinion if we waited to see if there was a goal after a defender was scythed down before awarding the free kick.

For what it's worth, the theory that we have been lucky so far is definitely overstated. We've won a consensus 5/7 matches so far on xG, depending on the site used we lost to either Arsenal or Forest (Forest's two goals were extremely high value chances, they created little else but those two added up to our entire production for the match), and universally were spanked by Chelsea, who I expect to finish in the top 4.

There's definitely stuff to work on but the negativity towards Hurzeler has been something else on the last few match threads. I think he'd be getting less stick if we had 8 points from 7 matches but played controlled possession football.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
And yet, by xG, we were only 0.3 behind Spurs at the break. Welbeck's chance was the best chance of the half (0.4xG), the 'glorious chance' in the first minute was worth 0.07xG, Johnson clean through was worth 0.14, Johnson's goal 0.37.

I think a large part of the concern with our style of play stems from the offside 'goals', which in reality are worth 0.00 xG but fans treat as if they are real chances as the play is allowed to develop after the offence. We wouldn't have the same opinion if we waited to see if there was a goal after a defender was scythed down before awarding the free kick.

For what it's worth, the theory that we have been lucky so far is definitely overstated. We've won a consensus 5/7 matches so far on xG, depending on the site used we lost to either Arsenal or Forest (Forest's two goals were extremely high value chances, they created little else but those two added up to our entire production for the match), and universally were spanked by Chelsea, who I expect to finish in the top 4.

There's definitely stuff to work on but the negativity towards Hurzeler has been something else on the last few match threads. I think he'd be getting less stick if we had 8 points from 7 matches but played controlled possession football.
Thats genuinely interesting on the XG. My opinion on the manager went up significantly after the second half . That might sound obvious but it wasnt just the Estupinan change it was the pressing with much more intensity from forward positions that stopped us being played through and behind. If the team have now learned that’s what required to stop wave after wave of attack getting though us then that’s worth more then the three points. I though Welbecks example on that even in the last 5 minutes was exceptional.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think the chance in the first minute was 0xG, not 0.07, because Johnson didn't connect with the cross. I think 0.07xG relates to the Kulusevski chance in the second minute, though I cannot remember this chance personally. IMO, this is a bit of a short-coming of xG when used to determine who was really on top in a match. Still a useful stat, mind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Danny said it was what we did "off the ball" that was embarrassing.

From 1:00
https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/4144505

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Danny said it was what we did "off the ball" that was embarrassing.

From 1:00
https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/4144505

Yup, I’ve seen it, but later on in that same interview he clarifies that we didn’t take our chances, and they were there to be taken.

Edit, perhaps not that interview, as when I played it through, the bit I was expecting to be there wasn’t there. I’ll dig about and see if I can find it.

Last edited:

But Fab doesn't seem to think so, based on him saying he'd rather win 1-0 than 5-2.
Indeed, unstructured goalfests won't be part of any managers' tactical plan. That we are ahead of the curve at the moment is great but the small sample size of the numbers of games played so far means we can't be confident we'll keep up just coming out on the right side of them (it's only a point I know but we won't get luckier than Declan Rice's dumbassery in the entire rest of the season)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

it Is strange as I was still confident (at half time) that we would get something from the game. Similarly Depor junior (watching on a stream) was confident that we would get something. Spurs looked very ropey at the back and certainly didn’t handle any type of cross well. We should have made much more of set pieces. Welbeck should have scored and the header was not speculative, I was sat in line and anything on target would have caused the keeper problems.

if we had sat a bit deeper and the fullbacks not charge out to intercept passes then Spurs wouldn’t have looked anywhere near as good as they did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here