Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The semi automated VAR doesn’t give offside in real time, does it? Goals will still be scored; it’ll just make the VAR check quicker.
I wonder if it will stop teams getting corners/free kicks etc when the assistant ref refuses to put up the flag when the player is offside in the build up but I guess it wont stop players getting injured

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wonder if it will stop teams getting corners/free kicks etc when the assistant ref refuses to put up the flag when the player is offside in the build up but I guess it wont stop players getting injured
The lino will still put his flag up if an attack results in a corner; he just waits until the shot has been taken in case there’s a goal, in which case the offside is confirmed by VAR. I think they’ve got this right to be honest.

I don’t get the argument about players getting injured if the Lino flags late. It’s no higher risk than any other phase of the game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The lino will still put his flag up if an attack results in a corner; he just waits until the shot has been taken in case there’s a goal, in which case the offside is confirmed by VAR. I think they’ve got this right to be honest.

I don’t get the argument about players getting injured if the Lino flags late. It’s no higher risk than any other phase of the game.
But if it is offside and he doesn't put his flag up then currently it's a corner so the defending team is penalised. What I want to know is if the new system will give the offside correctly or will only come into effect if a goal is scored

Van Dijk was out most of a season as the assistant didn't flag an obvious offside until play had stopped, if he had raised his flag earlier he wouldn't have been injured

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
But if it is offside and he doesn't put his flag up then currently it's a corner so the defending team is penalised. ...
That is NOT how the current system works - if the ref's assistant thinks it is offside he'll raise the flag once the the goalscoring opportunity has occurred (or if it doesn't occur). The corner will NOT materialise.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is NOT how the current system works - if the ref's assistant thinks it is offside he'll raise the flag once the the goalscoring opportunity has occurred (or if it doesn't occur). The corner will NOT materialise.
It regularly DOES happen.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
But if it is offside and he doesn't put his flag up then currently it's a corner so the defending team is penalised. What I want to know is if the new system will give the offside correctly or will only come into effect if a goal is scored
Think it is only if it is a 'match-defining moment' - ie: not a corner.

When a match-defining moment occurs, such as a penalty, a goal or a red card, the technology will track to see if any attacking player involved in the build-up to the incident was offside.

The technology provides for all potential offsides to be alerted to the VAR. However, this information will only be validated and communicated to the referee on pitch in case of one of the usual defined match-changing moments covered by VAR -- goals, penalties and red cards.

The second link is actually quite a good and lengthy explanation. I see it won't be as good as in the world cup, as we won't be having sensors in the ball/player

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Yes but I think his point was that if the assistant doesn't think it's offside, then it will be a corner - but if the automated system can say it's offside quickly, could that mean the decision is given before the ball goes out for what would be an unfair corner.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes but I think his point was that if the assistant doesn't think it's offside, then it will be a corner - but if the automated system can say it's offside quickly, could that mean the decision is given before the ball goes out for what would be an unfair corner.
He started this by saying "when the assistant ref refuses to put up the flag when the player is offside in the build up", which to me reads as the assistant thinking it IS offside.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He started this by saying "when the assistant ref refuses to put up the flag when the player is offside in the build up", which to me reads as the assistant thinking it IS offside.

Yeah I see what you mean.

Obviously if the lino thinks it's offside, they should flag when the ball goes out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You can’t have VAR on every single decision in a game. If a decision doesn’t lead directly to a goal then go with the on-field decision without interrupting the game. The linos tend to get the tight calls right more often than not.

They occasionally get it wrong, but what you don’t get is them thinking that a player is offside but not raising their flag at all. They just let the attack play out, that’s all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_4805.png

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Isn't it more the fact that the player is put in a position to get injured unnecessarily?

If the flag goes up early players aren't having to put in extra unnecessary recovery sprints, no last ditch tackles or blocks etc.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

In theory that's true, but I recall at WHL last season, at least 2 corners were given to Spurs after a clear offside.

Same Lino couldn't wait to flag our offsides as soon as he could.
This guideline is so inconsistently applied.

One of the unconscious advantages the big teams get, IMO.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In theory that's true, but I recall at WHL last season, at least 2 corners were given to Spurs after a clear offside.

Same Lino couldn't wait to flag our offsides as soon as he could.
This guideline is so inconsistently applied.

One of the unconscious advantages the big teams get, IMO.
That’s just the Lino getting it wrong. He’s obviously judged these occasions as not offside in real time. If he thought they were offside he’d have raised a flag once attack had broken down.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn't it more the fact that the player is put in a position to get injured unnecessarily?

If the flag goes up early players aren't having to put in extra unnecessary recovery sprints, no last ditch tackles or blocks etc.
We’re talking 5-10s of play out of over 5000s. Players can get injured whenever they walk on the pitch or training ground at any stage of the game or just warming up.

When applied correctly, the protocol prevents attacks being incorrectly stopped for non-offsides. This is definitely a good thing and more than outweighs any tiny increase in injury risk, which players deal with every day of the week.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We’re talking 5-10s of play out of over 5000s. Players can get injured whenever they walk on the pitch or training ground at any stage of the game or just warming up.

When applied correctly, the protocol prevents attacks being incorrectly stopped for non-offsides. This is definitely a good thing and more than outweighs any tiny increase in injury risk, which players deal with every day of the week.
Not sure I agree. The circumstances of a close offside call tend to mean that the defenders will be exposed and will have to be exerting themselves to get back into position or to block/tackle. That's when injuries typically occur, not when walking on to the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here