Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Not sure I agree. The circumstances of a close offside call tend to mean that the defenders will be exposed and will have to be exerting themselves to get back into position or to block/tackle. That's when injuries typically occur, not when walking on to the pitch.
Do you think they should remove the advantage rule on fouls as well? The injury risk increases if the referee allows the game to go on compared to if people are standing around a free kick.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That’s just the Lino getting it wrong. He’s obviously judged these occasions as not offside in real time. If he thought they were offside he’d have raised a flag once attack had broken down.
I think that's what the discussion was about really. Where the lino has got it wrong, and a corner results - will the semi-automated VAR kick-in. And the answer seems to be no.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure I agree. The circumstances of a close offside call tend to mean that the defenders will be exposed and will have to be exerting themselves to get back into position or to block/tackle. That's when injuries typically occur, not when walking on to the pitch.
So on the basis that it prevented a small risk on injury in that 5 seconds of play, would you be happy if an attack that put an Albion player through 1-on-1 with the keeper was immediately flagged offside by the on-field official without letting it play out, only to see on the replay a few seconds later that it was onside ?

Injuries occur all the time, and at all sorts of innocuous moments such as Webster playing a pass out of defence on Sunday

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think that's what the discussion was about really. Where the lino has got it wrong, and a corner results - will the semi-automated VAR kick-in. And the answer seems to be no.
Correct. I it were to intevene and cross check on every single on-field decision, the game would become unwatchable. The line has to be drawn somewhere in terms of signficicance of the decision, and I think that goals, penalties and red cards is about right. Despite the usual excitement in the crowd, corners rarely lead to anything.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We’re talking 5-10s of play out of over 5000s. Players can get injured whenever they walk on the pitch or training ground at any stage of the game or just warming up.

When applied correctly, the protocol prevents attacks being incorrectly stopped for non-offsides. This is definitely a good thing and more than outweighs any tiny increase in injury risk, which players deal with every day of the week.
I wasn't necessarily arguing against the rule.

You said you didn't get the injury argument so I explained what I thought that argument was.

That said I do have some sympathy for it if play is allowed to go on when it's clear there is an offside in the build up. If it's tight then I agree it's a decent rule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here