Your choice of beer at Falmer

What will you be drinking at Falmer?

• Real ale

Votes: 138 41.8%
  • Lager

Votes: 87 26.4%
  • Cider

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • Some of each (though maybe not in the same glass!)

Votes: 69 20.9%
  • Something else (tea, coffee, water, meths)

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

'National trends' - as you put it - is misleading because we are specifically talking aobut football fans, or even more speficially - Brighton fans - which don't in any way reflect the national demographic (unless you really believe 51% of football fans are women).

Even then, 11% can still account for up to 2,400 fans at Falmer. Hell of a figure to miss out on if you want to sell beer.

Now if you could give figures for football fans' choice of tipple nationally, we could compare and contrast. However, in the absence of any other figures, I guess we're going to have go along with this (fairly loose) straw poll.
At no stage did I argue that there shouldn't be real ale - just pointing out that if this poll were to be taken as gospel, there would be 60% real ale taps (Yes I know they aren't taps for real ale) and only 28% lager taps. I would have thought that common sense would dictate two or three real ales, two or three lagers and one or two ciders. All depends on the size of this bar of course as most stadium bars I have seen have a choice of two or three drinks on taps.

As I said, not bothered either way as meaningless polls appear on here all of the time - I was just trying to find out what the point of this one was.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The NEAREST brewery to the stadium is the wonderful establishment run by the Reverend Godfrey Broster - Rectory Ales at Streat Hill Farm, on top of the downs, just 2.5 miles north of the stadium.

194.jpg

I can imagine that the good Reverend uses his home brew instead of the more regulation communion wine.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The NEAREST brewery to the stadium is the wonderful establishment run by the Reverend Godfrey Broster - Rectory Ales at Streat Hill Farm, on top of the downs, just 2.5 miles north of the stadium.

194.jpg

Have sampled his wares and they are very good. Perhaps we could install a pipe line.

On the Sussex cider front, Merrydown was always the tipple of my youth is it still a local brand.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Before anyone even thinks about it, I am not part of the prawn sarnie brigade!

Could we please have some decent wine, instead of Stowells-in-a-bag-crap, please?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Some local real ale in all bars please ....a few barrells of "bright" ale like they do at some of the concerts at the Dome ....then at each match when its gone its gone and limited waste

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Oh, and Westons Organic Cider please :thumbsup:

This a TERRIBLE idea which would result in Uncle Hiney almost certainly being banned. That said, I'd quite like to see Old Rosie introduced, if only just to see the metophorical car crash unfold as a result of its consumption!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Don't forget the Fallen Angel microbrewery at East Hoathly which isn't that far away - and the artwork on the labels is interesting!

for the Doc, regular Lager, Carlsberg, Carling etc

For Mrs Notthenineo'clocknews a (plastic) bottle of Smirnoff ice red or a (plastic) bottle of Sol with a bit o lime in the top (however, if they've got the lime, they might as well go mad and make a Pimms an Lemonade with the mint and all that shite and we'll be in the ground as soon as the gates open)(just sayin, like)

How about a pint of Hawk?

[yt]GXcBVKjqW1Q[/yt]

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Harvey's Best all the way for me, please.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I never get to vote on beer threads! I'll be just legal at falmer so the usual: Either stella, carlsburg or Bud.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I thought Real ale was a Northern/Old peoples thing. I'm clearly mistaken..
+ Carlsberg is just not cool to drink at any time. ANY time. You may as well go out and buy a crate of rats piss.
Get some premium lager there. I fancy San Miguel, Red Stripe and Peroni on draught, with maybe one Carling pump for the shitmunchers.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Problem with real ale is that if it's not used on match days it won't keep. I would imagine that's why stadia avoid them (even if they wante to sell them). Will the supporters bar be open during the week too?

The first part raises a valid point, I haven't seen any answers to the last bit which I am curious about as well.
Has it been covered on another thread?

seagull9

Feb 27, 2005
Burgess Hill
Hepworth Blonde Lager is very nice
Ale from a number of local breweries including Rectory, Arundel, Hepworth`s etc.

I like Harvey`s best but as it is in almost every pub in Sussex to be honest if there is another ale on tap I would like to try it. I don`t fear change !!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Problem with real ale is that if it's not used on match days it won't keep. I would imagine that's why stadia avoid them (even if they wante to sell them). Will the supporters bar be open during the week too?

Having read the whole thread you seem to be one of the few sensible people on it.

You can't sell real ale at a venue where it is only going to be used once a fortnight. Wastage would be huge!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here