Your choice of beer at Falmer

What will you be drinking at Falmer?

• Real ale

Votes: 138 41.8%
  • Lager

Votes: 87 26.4%
  • Cider

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • Some of each (though maybe not in the same glass!)

Votes: 69 20.9%
  • Something else (tea, coffee, water, meths)

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
However, they will be obliged to sell real ale as well as lagers, ciders etc.

Sorry, I'm obviously mentally challenged right now. So just what is the point of the thread and poll when the 'beer strategy' has already been determined?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
OK, so if I ran Harveys then i would contact one of the major Lager / cider brewers to make a joint bid. There is a perception at times that successful companies are "bad" and I just dont buy into that. Harveys and dark Star, its up to them, ts a free market, they have allot of goodwill, now use initiative with that good will and make a bid, but no whinging, they must stand on their own two feet

I'm sorry but this is absolute bollocks. Harveys won't bid for anything. They're raking it in and brewing to capacity. The club would have to beg for the priveledge of selling Harveys, not the other way round. This is why so many pubs in Brighton are turning to Dark Star and that Horshame shite, cos they can't be arsed to fight to sell Harveys. Harveys have absolutely no interest in selling their beer and only those who kneel at the Brewery's doorstep get to sell it. They will also remove it if it's not kept properly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally I can't believe this subject has attracted so many posts, how many people are actually going to drink at the stadium anyway? There loads of proper pubs in the city FFS.

But the stadium is about three miles from the town centre. The whole point of the supporters bar is that there's some choice of where to drink near the ground itself. The nearest pub to the ground will be the Hikers, over half a mile away (and not really suitable for away supporters) and then there's nothing for another mile. IIRC, the idea of the bar at the ground is to ensure that not all spectators leave at once, putting a strain on the transport infrastructure.

I still remain to be convinced that real ale will be available. I've seen many breweries and pubs pay lip-service to the idea of proper beer but strangely inactive when it comes to filling up the barrels. And it's one thing offering real ale and another looking after it properly. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Sorry, I'm obviously mentally challenged right now. So just what is the point of the thread and poll when the 'beer strategy' has already been determined?

To get some idea of the percentages involved from NSC, the only easy market research tool available, albeit a minority one - and to take that into consideration when making the initial calculation of how much ale to bring in.
Obviously over the course of a season a pattern will emerge, but there's no harm in having this for starters.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
But the stadium is about three miles from the town centre. The whole point of the supporters bar is that there's some choice of where to drink near the ground itself. The nearest pub to the ground will be the Hikers, over half a mile away (and not really suitable for away supporters) and then there's nothing for another mile. IIRC, the idea of the bar at the ground is to ensure that not all spectators leave at once, putting a strain on the transport infrastructure.

I still remain to be convinced that real ale will be available. I've seen many breweries and pubs pay lip-service to the idea of proper beer but strangely inactive when it comes to filling up the barrels. And it's one thing offering real ale and another looking after it properly. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

I'll buy you your first pint Max:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The interest may come from the fact that not that many football clubs offer real ale as a choice, and some Brighton fans are insisting that our club does.

I'm happy to drink at the stadium if I knew that it was going to help the club. I have never bought a pint of beer before in my life with that outcome. However, I won't buy something I don't want to drink - well, I'm sure everyone feels that - even if it means the club is missing out.

So I (and maybe some others) feel that if they want my money, I will put in a request for some real ale. It's not as though I'm asking for other types of beer to NOT be sold there (as some have alluded to). It may be that there are 255 posts because others feel the same - I don't know.

However, as to exactly which beers will be sold, that will be down to the caterer that wins the contract. However, they will be obliged to sell real ale as well as lagers, ciders etc.

Cheers fellas. It'll be interesting to see how important the choice of beer proves to be to ensuring that fans don't file out at once. Personally, I think it might be significant in the first few months, but there will be times when we've lost 3-0 at home in shit weather and everyone will want to get away as quickly as possible.

As for the drink itself, well I'm indifferent personally. I'll drink what's available, because after the first season I'll have no interest in hanging around the place outside the 2 hours for the immediate build up and game.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Looks like Sussex have sold five year rights to Old Speckeled Hen at the county ground. I know its a little of topic but I wonder if this means the end of Haveys and guest beers, I do not know who brews it, think it talks of a Birmingham car on the bottles blurb, but they may do other drinks as well.

Will be interesting if they acommadate any other beers. Will be good if the Albion avoid a deal with the big supplier however I am sure the economics talk. I think part of this deal is that Old Speckled Hen replace all the bars equipment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Looks like Sussex have sold five year rights to Old Speckeled Hen at the county ground. I know its a little of topic but I wonder if this means the end of Haveys and guest beers, I do not know who brews it, think it talks of a Birmingham car on the bottles blurb, but they may do other drinks as well.

Will be interesting if they acommadate any other beers. Will be good if the Albion avoid a deal with the big supplier however I am sure the economics talk. I think part of this deal is that Old Speckled Hen replace all the bars equipment.

Typical. And who brews Old Speckled Hen?

Greene King.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sorry but this is absolute bollocks. Harveys won't bid for anything. They're raking it in and brewing to capacity. The club would have to beg for the priveledge of selling Harveys, not the other way round. This is why so many pubs in Brighton are turning to Dark Star and that Horshame shite, cos they can't be arsed to fight to sell Harveys. Harveys have absolutely no interest in selling their beer and only those who kneel at the Brewery's doorstep get to sell it. They will also remove it if it's not kept properly.

Harveys sounds like a very well run business to me. Supply and demand nicely balanced and they take an active roll in maintaining the quality of the stuff on the streets.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd be happy enough with Speckled Hen, there are far worse beers out there.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Harveys still available in the Jim Parks Bar in the Pavilion - put your hand in your pocket & become a member!

Oct 25, 2003
is there such ting as "unreal ale"?

oh- and can we have some DECENT lager please? the ale lot should be satisfied enough, but please can us non ale drinkers not be fobbed off with carling/fosters etc.?

oh- and some really cool CRISPS like BRANNIGANS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here