Your choice of beer at Falmer

What will you be drinking at Falmer?

• Real ale

Votes: 138 41.8%
  • Lager

Votes: 87 26.4%
  • Cider

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • Some of each (though maybe not in the same glass!)

Votes: 69 20.9%
  • Something else (tea, coffee, water, meths)

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't really see why people seem to be so opposed to Ale being sold in the new stadium.

If you don't like it, don't buy it!

as I have said, it is not the ale itself it is the 'people' it attracts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it would be a nice touch if a local brewery got on board and brewed a new beer for us.....called 'falmer' ....i would like to drink a pint of that, has a nice ring to the name too.

Do real ale drinkers choose drinks based on the name? (this is a genuine question)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and what about wines and champagnes?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
as I have said, it is not the ale itself it is the 'people' it attracts.

You could say the same for shit beer like Carling and Chavs. I can see your point, but at the end of the day we want to fill our brand spanking new stadium and whether we like it or not, there will be people there we may not necessarily want to see there.

Although I will not say no to a nice Polish or Czech beer there if it's on offer.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's a footie stadium, not a real ale festival.

A weak pissy lager, a strong pissy lager, John Smiths, Guinness and Merrydown on tap.

Job done.

(bottle of coke and a wagon wheel for the kiddies, wine and J2O for the ladies.)

FFS - real ale. Last thing I want to do when watching the Albion is stand next to some bloke in sandals and a jumper knitted out of his pubes and whose farts smell like dead badgers.

It's a football stadium, not a game of dominoes in the snug. I drink lager, as do thousands of other fans.
Do you know what? I feel in no way superior to people who prefer other drinks. Do you?

:thumbsup: I got refered to earlier as 'our piss drinker' due to my 'confession' of liking Carlsberg, Carling etc etc (BTW i've been drinking for 25 years and have nothing against the odd pint of Harveys, Old Speckled Hen or Guinness, but when having a few I like said 'pissy lagers...sorry(!))

anyhoo, one thing I'm safe in the knowledge of is that i'll be catered for, will you?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could say the same for shit beer like Carling and Chavs. I can see your point, but at the end of the day we want to fill our brand spanking new stadium and whether we like it or not, there will be people there we may not necessarily want to see there.

Although I will not say no to a nice Polish or Czech beer there if it's on offer.

There's a lot of great lager on the continent. The Germans obviously lead the way, a nice Pilsner style beer or a nice crystal weiss will do the trick. The Czechs have some great stuff...as do the Hungarians. I also like some Jap lager. It's really nice and dry. Suntory is great.

If we must buy British then The Meantime Brewery knock out some a couple of lager type drinks: Helles and Kolner. Both are approved by me.

I'd recommend Canard Duchene champagne. I'll have a think about white wines, I had some really nice crisp whites in France the other week. I dont like red wine so it wont be served.

This thread worries me. I have nothing against real ale per se, but it does attract the wrong sort of person. You only have to look at the people in the picture which Lord Bracknell posted to see what I mean.

Why not get some decent continental lagers in (the Germans and the Czechs are good ports of call), a few sofas, some decent music and you'll attract decent, good looking and sophisticated supporters. Otherwise I fear you might scare another generation off going to the football. We've lost one already, lets not loose another.

I'm 39, sophisticated and drink real ale, if it's Ok with you can I come and have a drink in the new supporters bar and watch the team I have been supporting since 1981 please?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm 39, sophisticated and drink real ale, if it's Ok with you can I come and have a drink in the new supporters bar and watch the team I have been supporting since 1981 please?

Do you have a beard?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm 41 and dead sophisticated me. I'm gonna be drinking pissy lager in the Hikers Rest well away from any away fans and f***ing moonlighting morris dancers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm 42, sophisticated and drink Carling, if it's Ok with you can I come and have a drink in the new supporters bar and watch the team I have been supporting since 1977 please?

I will not be selling Carling I'm afraid. You'll have to go elsewhere.

It's a footie stadium, not a real ale festival.

A weak pissy lager, a strong pissy lager, John Smiths, Guinness and Merrydown on tap.

Job done.

(bottle of coke and a wagon wheel for the kiddies, wine and J2O for the ladies.)

FFS - real ale. Last thing I want to do when watching the Albion is stand next to some bloke in sandals and a jumper knitted out of his pubes and whose farts smell like dead badgers.

I agree it shouldn't be a real ale festival, but there is no reason why the John Smiths on your list couldn't be taken out and a weak pissy real ale and strong real ale be put in its place.

You are one of the last people on here who I thought would have a fixed stereotype about real ale drinkers!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have stubble and wear Diesel jeans.

Is your stereotype of people that drink real ale changing now?

Stubble today, a weird beard tomorrow. And if you carry on drinking real ale you wont fit in your Diesel jeans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here