Your choice of beer at Falmer

What will you be drinking at Falmer?

• Real ale

Votes: 138 41.8%
  • Lager

Votes: 87 26.4%
  • Cider

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • Some of each (though maybe not in the same glass!)

Votes: 69 20.9%
  • Something else (tea, coffee, water, meths)

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Before I vote on this very important subject, just out of interest who is the "we" in all of this pushing for locally brewed ale ?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Be more than happy with Harvey's and/or Dark Star. But I'd also be happy with the range that, say, Fuller's do in The Basketmakers.

But it would be good to promote local beers, so Arundel, the brewer in Battle whose name escapes me and so on would suit me dandy.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Of course they could be really clever and have guest beers from wherever the opposition come from....

Plymouth Argyle = Doom Bar :thumbsup:
Southampton = Ringwood's 49er :drink:
Croydon Palarse = Cherry Coke or some similar pikey shite :sick:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
ace.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Harveys would be great but I'd be happy for any local bitter. I'd be happy for any real ale (apart from Greene King). It would be nice if we had guest beers from the opposition's region once in a while - although I realise that could throw up a few logistical problems.

Some real cider and decent lager would complete the picture.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1 lager
1 ale
Guinness
Possibly a cider
I don't see how having more is going to be practicle from a storing, pouring and space point of view.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
About 50% (or thereabouts) of the poll.

Very droll, I am referring to the first post and the "we" referenced in that.

Who is on this committee or steering group that seems to be pushing this idea ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Harvey's and nothing less will do ... Or maybe Arundel Gold, Hammerpot .... Etc

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
We have got to have Harveys at Falmer.

The brewery is only 3.8 miles* away - you cant get more 'Sussex' or 'local' than that !

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
coke I suspect if I am boo hoo.
You'll be lucky. :lol:

I've said it before and so I'll say it again.
There isn't any set of circumstances which Timothy Taylor's Landlord, isn't the ideal pint.
If we want the best for Falmer, then that's the winner, you can stick your Harveys.

Self evidently there will be all of the beer types mentioned above on sale. The point is to get some kind of idea of the relative demand for each. NSC is as reasonable a cross section of our fanbase as we're going to get. That's the point of the poll. OK :)

Interesting business decision basing your business plan on a couple of hundred people. Camra report an estimated market share for cask ale of 11%.

In 2005, sales of "Take home" beer and cider come to 73% lager, 11% ale, 13% cider and 3% stout.

Take out "some of each" and the fact that wine has been missed, you currently have NSC saying 59.5% ale, 27.7% saying lager and 12.8% saying cider.

All I am suggesting is that basing your breakdown on NSC when it varies massively from the national trend isn't the wisest move. But no skin off my nose as a bar with a wide choice of real ales gets a :thumbsup: from me.

I do enjoy a nice pint of Harveys (although it can can vary somewhat) as well as the odd TT's, but I have to say that the IPA they serve in the Sportsman is always rather pleasent and VERY reasonably priced.

The pricing will be important, particulalrly if people are to be attracted to stay post match.

For the younger generation some draft cider will go down well I am sure.

I hope the Supporters Club Bar will also do some snacks/grub?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I have voted for a bit of everything.

Certainly have some shit beer and cider like Carling and Strongbow for the people that want it, but I for one will buy a decent real ale at the right price (£2.50-£3)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Interesting business decision basing your business plan on a couple of hundred people. Camra report an estimated market share for cask ale of 11%.

In 2005, sales of "Take home" beer and cider come to 73% lager, 11% ale, 13% cider and 3% stout.

Take out "some of each" and the fact that wine has been missed, you currently have NSC saying 59.5% ale, 27.7% saying lager and 12.8% saying cider.

All I am suggesting is that basing your breakdown on NSC when it varies massively from the national trend isn't the wisest move. But no skin off my nose as a bar with a wide choice of real ales gets a :thumbsup: from me.

'National trends' - as you put it - is misleading because we are specifically talking aobut football fans, or even more speficially - Brighton fans - which don't in any way reflect the national demographic (unless you really believe 51% of football fans are women).

Even then, 11% can still account for up to 2,400 fans at Falmer. Hell of a figure to miss out on if you want to sell beer.

Now if you could give figures for football fans' choice of tipple nationally, we could compare and contrast. However, in the absence of any other figures, I guess we're going to have go along with this (fairly loose) straw poll.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

This.

Having read this thread I was about to post something similar, although I'd not been arsed to go off and research any stats.

I can't really see the point of this thread at all. There is no way on earth there would be a bar that didn't have all of ale, lager and cider available. There is no way on earth any bar (including ones provided at Falmer) would base their stock on the poll of a few people on an internet messageboard. This is more so in that those who perceive they might get a raw deal, in this case real ale fans, are more likely to get involved in any vote.

There could be merit in looking to assess what brand of each type of drink has most appeal (ie Harveys or Dark Star, Becks View or Staropramen etc) but the question asked is more generic than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here