Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you like to see Poyet sign Chris Wood in January?

Would you like to see Poyet sign Chris Wood in January?

• Yes, yes I would

Votes: 174 70.4%
  • No, no I wouldn't

Votes: 69 27.9%
  • Chris who?

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
West Brom will agree any deal they consider suitable which may involve 2 or 3 teams and then the player has to agree the contract with the team he would prefer to play for.

Yes, which most likely means (if we offered considerably more than Millwall) they'd reject their offer.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I'd rather have Wood over Austin.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes, which most likely means (if we offered considerably more than Millwall) they'd reject their offer.

It doesn't work like that, once an offer has been accepted you can't just go back on it.

And why would we want to sign an unhappy player in any case.

Any striker subject of a bid from us only has to look at the case of Dobbie to conclude that they are better off elsewhere.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

It doesn't work like that, once an offer has been accepted you can't just go back on it.

And why would we want to sign an unhappy player in any case.

Any striker subject of a bid from us only has to look at the case of Dobbie to conclude that they are better off elsewhere.
I would imagine West Brom are going to get several offers from him. Leicester have already said they're interested etc. I doubt they will rush in and accept any offers already unless it was part of the loan arrangement.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I know he's had a decent run, & I wouldn't be that unhappy if we signed him, but £3m for Wood? You've got to be kidding me.

Not what I would want us to pay and doesn't feel right but I fear the reality is that around £2 or 3m is the sort of fee that might be asked for Wood. The problem is that the 'valuation' of some top Championship players doesn't actually reflect their true 'worth'. I'm mindful that Rhodes who mainly made his reputation in Lge 1 went to a Championship club for £8m, vastly more that we splashed out on CMS who had a similar record.

CMS at £2.5m was a mind boggling deal for us but £8m for Rhodes seems ridiculous, not helped by having an ex-Prem clubs like Blackburn around who have parachute money to play with and happily inflate transfer fees. OK it's fine to trot out the 'he's worth it if he gets us promoted' / 'get us to the Premiership at all costs' approach but its screwing up the transfer market and making it a two tier league.

We paid £1m for Buckley and my instincts tell me that Wood should really be around that mark too. However Wood already has 11 goals at this level and is getting plenty of media coverage so his price is inevitably going up. So a proven Championship striker like Austin with 20 goals in the Championship may already be well beyond our budget and possibly on the radar of Prem clubs. With so many Clubs at the bottom of the Prem and around the top third of the Championship now desperate to survive or get promoted I hope there isn't a stampede in the transfer window that could price us out. Its not right or fair but big money talks. I don't suppose Millwall are too happy knowing they may well struggle to compete for Wood's signature.

Can't help but wonder what a certain former striker of ours might be 'valued at' now? Ahem.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Link to the Millwall forum debate on will he or won't he.... (sign for them). Contains a great post from one irate cockney geezer on GP's eulogy after last night's 2 goal display, and a link to an Express & Star article written today saying West Brom want £1.5 mil:
Viewing a thread - WBA have accepted our offer for WOODS

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Link to the Millwall forum debate on will he or won't he.... (sign for them). Contains a great post from one irate cockney geezer on GP's eulogy after last night's 2 goal display, and a link to an Express & Star article written today saying West Brom want £1.5 mil:
Viewing a thread - WBA have accepted our offer for WOODS

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Doesn't really work like that, though. Wood won't be looking at us and think "oh no, dobbie is on the bench, I've got no chance". They are going to think "It doesn't matter what's going on with him, I'm better, I can do what I'm being paid for and I will force myself into the side". No one looks at a team that is after them and thinks "no, I'm not good enough to make a mark there"

p.stromso

Dec 17, 2012
London
I'd take him for £1 million. I think he'd do a job and give us a different option up front. He is a good finisher from what I've seen.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Not one to have a go on here as your entitled to your say as much as the next man but WTF is the point of this thread?!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Certainly more realistic than Austin, Lambert et al but my concern would be that we don't play to his strengths. Millwall put an awful lot of decent balls into the box yesterday and play direct to him, pretty much the opposite of how we play.

I also don't think he would want up come here over staying at Millwall.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Certainly more realistic than Austin, Lambert et al but my concern would be that we don't play to his strengths. Millwall put an awful lot of decent balls into thenjx yesterday and play direct to him, pretty much the opposite of how we play.

No so sure about that, we push the ball out wide a lot but are reluctant to cross it in all the time as there's no real presence in the box.

CMS looks tiny next to most Centre halves in this league.

Dec 29, 2011
Certainly more realistic than Austin, Lambert et al but my concern would be that we don't play to his strengths. Millwall put an awful lot of decent balls into the box yesterday and play direct to him, pretty much the opposite of how we play.

We have about twenty corners per home game and untold opportunities to cross the ball in open play. Service won't be an issue for Wood.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
On the evidence of last night and his age and how he has developed in the last two years, i'd be happy if we paid £1.75m for him on a four year deal. Think that would be quite a good investment.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I really didn't think Chris Wood would be the answer but after seeing him lastnight i would be very happy if we signed him. Those goals were both class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here