Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you like to see Poyet sign Chris Wood in January?

Would you like to see Poyet sign Chris Wood in January?

• Yes, yes I would

Votes: 174 70.4%
  • No, no I wouldn't

Votes: 69 27.9%
  • Chris who?

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
How much would we talking about between one and two million at that price well worth the punt

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wood is only a success because Millwall play a route one game with Henry hitting ,long balls into the middle in the same way as Murray is for Palace with Bolasie and Zaha hitting crosses into him. Neither would work using the way we play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wood is only a success because Millwall play a route one game with Henry hitting ,long balls into the middle in the same way as Murray is for Palace with Bolasie and Zaha hitting crosses into him. Neither would work using the way we play.

Ok I'll bite. What is it that he is lacking to be able to play the way we play? I keep hearing this from various people but until someone can explain exactly what is missing from his or Murray's game that wouldn't fit in with the way we play I'll continue to wonder if you know what you are talking about. A Player like Wood, on last night's showing, is EXACTLY what we do need.

BG I normally tend to agree with quite a few of the points you make but this one has me totally mystified.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simple we do not hit high hopeful crosses into the box in the same way that Millwall and Palace do. Gus requires that the ball is worked into the box rather than a big long range pump. The only high crosses are from set piece either a kick or corner, other than that we tend to play it along the ground to our strikers are at least below head height..

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I am not sure that I would want to play for a team whose supporters barracked you every time you got the ball, at least that is what was happening in the South stand yesterday, they were also doing it to ashley barnes every time he got the ball, how to improve a young players confidence!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Simple we do not hit high hopeful crosses into the box in the same way that Millwall and Palace do. Gus requires that the ball is worked into the box rather than a big long range pump. The only high crosses are from set piece either a kick or corner, other than that we tend to play it along the ground to our strikers are at least below head height..

It's really not that simple though is it. Do you remember the last time we took a threatening corner? Our set pieces near the box ( Lua Lua's goal against Forest being the exception) are absolute shit because we have nobody in the team capable of winning the ball in the air. We might as well just give the ball to the opposition if we're not gonna have a direct shot at the goal because we have nobody with presence in the box. When our two excellent wingers get into positions to cross the ball they either don't bother or the ball sails over our small strike force's head or gets cleared by defenders who must think they are playing against boys. I don't think you could be more wrong tbh. Why do you think we don't score from set pieces and balls into the box?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would be happier if our central defenders managed to win a few headers in the opponents box from corners or if our small strikers could emulate Brisdcuttr and actually jump to head the ball, for a man so short he wins numerous headers against much taller men.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would be happier if our central defenders managed to win a few headers in the opponents box from corners or if our small strikers could emulate Brisdcuttr and actually jump to head the ball, for a man so short he wins numerous headers against much taller men.

So you don't think a big awkward forward with good ball control who is able to compete in the air, has a decent shot and the ability to bring midfielders into the game by holding the ball up because he has the skill and is big enough not to get knocked off the ball would help our cause?

You haven't given me a single reasonable answer as to why Wood or similar wouldn't improve our goal scoring, according to you he just wouldn't suit our style, OK :rolleyes:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I am not sure that I would want to play for a team whose supporters barracked you every time you got the ball, at least that is what was happening in the South stand yesterday, they were also doing it to ashley barnes every time he got the ball, how to improve a young players confidence!
Being a non season ticket holder I despise sitting in the south stand as the majority of people there appear to morons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Time to freshen up the strike force. CMS and Barnes have had ample chances. Dobbie and Hoskins got severe misgivings about. A pairing of Austin and Wood might well rescue a play-off place this season. Else we're just delaying an improvement up fornt til next season for no good reason.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Our style of play would not give him the opportunities he receives at Millwall,we should forget signing another striker this season as we are not going to be promoted and we are strong enough to survive in the Championship.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's really not that simple though is it. Do you remember the last time we took a threatening corner? Our set pieces near the box ( Lua Lua's goal against Forest being the exception) are absolute shit because we have nobody in the team capable of winning the ball in the air. We might as well just give the ball to the opposition if we're not gonna have a direct shot at the goal because we have nobody with presence in the box. When our two excellent wingers get into positions to cross the ball they either don't bother or the ball sails over our small strike force's head or gets cleared by defenders who must think they are playing against boys. I don't think you could be more wrong tbh. Why do you think we don't score from set pieces and balls into the box?

I'd say in the last few games the corners and crosses have improved to a point (we've started getting them past the first man and into the box). Last night Lopez was delivering some crosses right into the danger area. The only problem with them that I've noticed is we don't have the big powerful dominant guy to get on the end of them, someone like Chris Wood.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Time to freshen up the strike force. CMS and Barnes have had ample chances. Dobbie and Hoskins got severe misgivings about. A pairing of Austin and Wood might well rescue a play-off place this season. Else we're just delaying an improvement up fornt til next season for no good reason.

You seriously think Tony Bloom is going to let Gus buy two new strikers in January?
You're looking at a combined fee of at least £5 million! Gus spent £2.5 million badly on an unproven striker last summer...I doubt he's going to allow him to spend £5 million. We simply have'nt got that kind of money to spend. I can't see us generating much cash for the sale of CMS either, especially if clubs have been scouting him recently.

Last edited:

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
No! I would be very disappointed if we spent over a million for a player who is not going to hack it with the other Albion, where we want to be in the next couple of years. Remember we bought Will Buckley for that sort of money - Chris Wood is not in the same class.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
His celebration after the second goal clearly showed there is a bit of bad feeling towards us. He is not an option.

This. Ungracious twat, Got El Abd booked and was arsey with him at their place.
Looks like he also needs 'lessons in how to behave when you have scored against your old team' from a certain G.Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here