Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

would you leave england,if you could.?

Wow have I opened the tin of worms.I have a mate who moved to Calgary,he seems quite relieved to have done the move after much deliberation.It seems that most of my contacts are leaving England.Personally,I do get fed up with the deterioration of England,but really,is there a better alternative?It all seems relative to me.If I were to leave I'd really make a push for Australia.

btw cheers for all the reponses this is the most replies I've ever gotten to any one of my threads.:D

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
People write friends and family quite casually but family can have a great pull on you.
My Mum is now quite severly disabled which was a contributing factor to me moving back down south. Two of my grandchildren were born in Sussex and that also had an effect.

When I moved away I wasn't bothered about my family at all but as I have got older they have mattered to me more and more.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:
People write friends and family quite casually but family can have a great pull on you.
My Mum is now quite severly disabled which was a contributing factor to me moving back down south. Two of my grandchildren were born in Sussex and that also had an effect.

When I moved away I wasn't bothered about my family at all but as I have got older they have mattered to me more and more.

Strange how time changes your stance on things isn't it?
It's a case of the grass is always greener I think. I bet you
still miss certain aspects of ooop north.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Caveman said:
Strange how time changes your stance on things isn't it?
It's a case of the grass is always greener I think. I bet you
still miss certain aspects of ooop north.

No. My son still lives up there still and I love visiting him and the inlaws but I don't miss it one bit.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Trying my hardest to get out of this country.
Might be able to get a job transfer to NZ and hope to be gone by September.
I really don't want my kids to have to grow up in this country the way it's going and I can't see it ever getting any better.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
I just find England so bloody grey and miserable. We've moved to the US for work, and are already looking at finding a way to stay here more permanently as the standard of living is just so much better, and my kids have really settled. So long as you don’t expect the Americans to be substitute British, I find them great to get along with and every generous with it. I feel they get a pretty bad press from us one way and another.

Having previously lived in Belgium, Angola, The USA (first time around) and Russia I can honestly say that I feel very little pull for the country at all. I feel that the people in the UK are being steadily ground into the dirt by successive governments, taxation, bureaucracy, and every time I have been back it I have been itching to get away again within six months or so.

The thing is, it is the combination of things above that the make the British (as opposed to the country) so brilliant and I think there is a very strong argument for turfing a nation with a better climate out of their country and taking it over.

Having said all that, Sussex is by far and away the best part of the UK

Seeeeeeeeeaaaaagulllllllllllllssss

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
No, no no no! I get ridiculously homesick as it is. I look forward to coming home even when i'm on a holiday that i'm enjoying, and i couldn't really bring myself to go to Uni outside of Sussex!

Still, with any luck i won't care so much in ten years times. Japan, US and Australia all appeal:)

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Kids have grown up and are finally leaving so wifey and I will be retiring to The Philippines in 23 months..

I have lived overseas for 10 years in the last 22 so I will not miss UK..

I don't get to go to Withdean much now so I will be content with following the seagulls on the internet. believe it or not football is not the be all and end all in life!.

ps I can get a 3 bed 2 bath house for £23K or if im really greedy a 7 bed house for £47K but thats to big!

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
I have heard people say, "I wouldn't emigrate. I would miss the pubs"

If pubs are the be-all and end-all of your existence, then you shouldn'tove out of your street.
Nevertheless an interesting and well balanced thread.
I met Juan, and he didn't try to convert me from being a heathen, which I appreciated.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Porky said:
I have heard people say, "I wouldn't emigrate. I would miss the pubs"

If pubs are the be-all and end-all of your existence, then you shouldn'tove out of your street.
Nevertheless an interesting and well balanced thread.
I met Juan, and he didn't try to convert me from being a heathen, which I appreciated.

Quick assessment had you marked down as a hopeless case. :lolol:

How are you doing, Porky? Getting ready to move back to these parts?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Been at University in Wales since 2005, some things are great here like feeling safe walking through town at night, but people recognise I'm very southern and get a bit of hostility from some people, which is lovely.

Always look forward to getting home to Sussex, even if it is Haywards Heath:lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:

When I moved away I wasn't bothered about my family at all but as got older they have mattered to me more and more.

This sums it up for me in 1995 we were all packed, ferries booked etc to move to Cyprus but my illness stopped us at the last minute and since then her that has to be obeyed, who was very keen at the time has said that she wouldnt go now because of the grandchildren etc.

So it looks you lot are lumbered with me for the rest of my time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
byf said:
WOW!

all it needs is a swimming pool and pure heaven!

From the look of the terrain I reckon building the swimming pool could cost a lot more than the house, doesn't seem to be enough flat land anywhere close

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yorkie said:
My Mum is now quite severely disabled which was a contributing factor to me moving back down south. Two of my grandchildren were born in Sussex and that also had an effect.

I knew a friend who had a similar problem, he delayed moving out of the country, to take care of a relative.
Unfortunately the relative was gone in 6 months and then the move was too late and he always lives in regret.
It is always possible to return for visits etc. But you only get one go on this ride and better to have tried and failed then not have tried at all.........................Gospel according to St. OzMike:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here