Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

would you leave england,if you could.?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HampshireSeagulls said:
Will be out of here in 5 Years - basically waiting for the father-in-law to shuffle off the mortal coil as the wife won't leave the country until then. Will build up some teaching experience, add a Masters, and will look at US or Aus moving on the "professional" visa basis.

It's just not really my country any more, don't want to go, but I find it harder to live in this country with the current government and it's priorities.

I dont really think it is all down to the current government and its priorities. Its the English who live here..and to a degree they are responsible for their own actions.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know several people who have moved to Spain but you wouldn`t believe it by the amount of times they pop back to use the NHS.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Caveman said:
If we had the weather this country would be the best in the world by a long shot.

Spot on

Mind you if it was hot all the time bitter would disapear and I would have to drink pissy lager all the time.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tubthumper said:
I dont really think it is all down to the current government and its priorities. Its the English who live here..and to a degree they are responsible for their own actions.

Exactly. If you don't like the government then vote them out.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Kinky Gerbils said:
Yes - Id move to New Zealand in a shot.

I also moved to New Zealand, but in a plane!

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Actually, New Zealand is great, they let you shoot Hobbits all year round and I bagged 2 on the way home from work last night. NZ is a place to be, but too many Brits thinks its the ultimate land of milk and honey and its not, also - its not as cheap as people think and the wages are not as high as popular perception in the UK, BUT - in London where I could not afford to buy a decent flat, car etc etc, over here I have 2 properties, a new car, 2 Pacific "rim" holidays a year, 4 meals a day and a Chinese sex slave. The Prime Minister here is without doubt that ugilst bull dyke in history (she was one of the orcs in LOR - saved on make-up). Also, they all worship rugby and the All Blacks are the most arrogant tossers outside of the Premiership you will find anyway. Finally, and to quote an excellent poster on the 90's Lions tours "NZ Lager is shite" and it is.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is an interesting thread. I think everyone should move abroad at sometime in their life, even if its only taking a year out to go travelling. There's so much to see and do in this world that it seems crazy to stay in one place forever. Some people seem to be implying that they would only/are going to move because England has become some terrible/unliveable place. I find that a little bit sad. I've lived abroad for nearly three and a half years now. I didn't move because England was an unwelcoming hellhole I moved because I had a great opportunity to live in and experience a new country, a new continent and a new culture. I don't view moving away as a slight or negative comment on England.

Also, all those people complaining about how England has gone to the dogs, I'm afraid the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Every country has it's problems they're just not as well publicised in the english press as troubles at home(obviously). On the flipside, England really isn't as bad as it can be made out to be. I came home for the first time in three years over christmas and everyone I spoke to-in shops/bars/the street etc was polite and friendly. I didn't see anything to unduly worry me either. Obviously England has negative points- the weather(usually), the cost of living etc but it really isn't all that bad.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Garry Nelson's Left Foot said:
This is an interesting thread. I think everyone should move abroad at sometime in their life, even if its only taking a year out to go travelling. There's so much to see and do in this world that it seems crazy to stay in one place forever. Some people seem to be implying that they would only/are going to move because England has become some terrible/unliveable place. I find that a little bit sad. I've lived abroad for nearly three and a half years now. I didn't move because England was an unwelcoming hellhole I moved because I had a great opportunity to live in and experience a new country, a new continent and a new culture. I don't view moving away as a slight or negative comment on England.

Also, all those people complaining about how England has gone to the dogs, I'm afraid the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Every country has it's problems they're just not as well publicised in the english press as troubles at home(obviously). On the flipside, England really isn't as bad as it can be made out to be. I came home for the first time in three years over christmas and everyone I spoke to-in shops/bars/the street etc was polite and friendly. I didn't see anything to unduly worry me either. Obviously England has negative points- the weather(usually), the cost of living etc but it really isn't all that bad.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that.

Other countries certainly have their problems, but living in a land where the native language isn't English I find it easy to tune out and ignore them whenever I want. I can choose to be insulated from the day-to-day gripes simply by not watching the news or eavesdropping in the pub. And that makes it APPEAR better here to me, even if it isn't really when you dig deep.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Excellent post as always GNLF. :clap: :clap:

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007

Very well put. Living abroad for a couple of years and then deciding to live somewhere indefinitely are not the same thing, hence the surprising large number of people who move back to Blighty. A friend of mine spends a great deal of time in France and they whinge about the same things as we do, difference being the weathers not one of them.

In the South of Spain they whinge about the African immigrants, they also whinge big time about the Brits because they can't speak the language, they've made house prices shoot through the roof, they wont integrate and they are basically a pain in the arse .... sound familiar ....?

At the end of the day, all those things that we gripe about in UK are similar to the things that people in other countries complain about. The grass is very rarely greener .......

Yes, pretty much right on the money.
A lot of discontent is purely down to perspective, and the truth is that some perspectives could make the Garden Of Eden into a cess-pit, others a jail into heavenly place to be. We might do better to always consider those who have it worse than us;
i.e. a lifelong-wheelchair-bound cerebral palsy victim, healthy intelligent mind, but imprisoned by their own body. Sorry if that seems extreme, but how about a little 'happy to be alive' perspective?

IF you allow yourself to sink into a deep regressive tunnel of depressive outlook, dark clouded and joyless - then every vista in your misery-misted lens is going to be one of deterioration and despair. Moaning and groaning might be your only pleasure in outlet!

Maintaining a balanced perspective is the healthier option, we know that this country actually is spoiled by those who have the miserable outlook and want to put it on others. Our politics are almost never ideal, but although we have one of the best political systems - you can vote and make points to your
MP without fear, to help make changes.

A healthy mental perspective, it shouldn't be forgotten, also rides on a healthy physical body. It will always help your mind, to be healthy and fit. (whichever country you are in, in the World)

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would agree with GNLF, everyone should try living abroad at some time in their life, it certainly helps put things in perspective. It makes you realise what is good about our country, there is plenty, but also the bits that could do with improvement. Despite derision aimed at our Government from some countries, mainly due to our unhealthy relationship with our cousins from across the pond, Britain is still generally regarded as a fair country and a good place to live.

People complain about the Government at home, but at least we got what we elected and deserved, try asking a Zimbabwean or Burmese what their views are...not quite the same. We live in a country where things are relatively stable, your chances of being randomly robbed or murdered are far less than in many others, the Police don't generally beat people up for fun, there is a lot to be greatfull for.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Yorkie said:
Exactly. If you don't like the government then vote them out.

I didn't vote this bunch in! As an example of how corrupt this country has become, and how sad we all are to sit and watch...

Gosport Council was won, as a seat, by the Tories. However, the Cully family have three people on the council - one of which is the lady mayor. By coincidence, the combined forces of the Lib and Lab seats exactly equal the Tory seats. And the casting vote is held by the lady mayoress. Her husband and son are both Labour. So, we have a majority party that in effect will never win a vote because of the way family and party ties are established. Despite calls for the lady mayoress to stand down, or not to use her casting vote, we have now had numerous money-generating schemes cancelled because it doesn't fit with winning votes in borderline Labour constituencies. It's corrupt, and nothing seems to be able to be done about it.

I will continue to vote against this current government, right up until the point when I get on the plane and wave goodbye to the UK.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
HampshireSeagulls said:

Gosport Council was won, as a seat, by the Tories. However, the Cully family have three people on the council - one of which is the lady mayor. By coincidence, the combined forces of the Lib and Lab seats exactly equal the Tory seats. And the casting vote is held by the lady mayoress. Her husband and son are both Labour. So, we have a majority party that in effect will never win a vote because of the way family and party ties are established. Despite calls for the lady mayoress to stand down, or not to use her casting vote, we have now had numerous money-generating schemes cancelled because it doesn't fit with winning votes in borderline Labour constituencies. It's corrupt, and nothing seems to be able to be done about it.

It can't be a majority party though if it relies on a casting vote: the word you're looking for is a hung council.

But you're right about the corruption (and it's not just Labour, there are many examples of the Tories and Lib Dems being just as bad) involved; that's the fault of the first past the post system, which means that a few swing voters determine policy.

We've seen the effects of that in Brighton recently, where an education policy was pushed through that clearly doesn't benefit Brighton as a whole, but does benefit voters in marginal wards.

What puzzles me though is that if you're concerned about the level of corruption in local politics and wants to live somewhere clean, where are you going to go? France, Italy, Spain, Greece? Corruption is a way of life in local politics there? The US? Pork barrel politics all the way. Eastern Europe? Run by the mafia. Australia? Sleaze a-plenty. The Carribean? Almost a national industry.

For all its faults, the UK is relatively clean when it comes to local politics. At least we don't have to give open backhanders to civic leaders - secret bribes work much better.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Gwylan said:
It can't be a majority party though if it relies on a casting vote: the word you're looking for is a hung council.

But you're right about the corruption (and it's not just Labour, there are many examples of the Tories and Lib Dems being just as bad) involved; that's the fault of the first past the post system, which means that a few swing voters determine policy.

We've seen the effects of that in Brighton recently, where an education policy was pushed through that clearly doesn't benefit Brighton as a whole, but does benefit voters in marginal wards.

What puzzles me though is that if you're concerned about the level of corruption in local politics and wants to live somewhere clean, where are you going to go? France, Italy, Spain, Greece? Corruption is a way of life in local politics there? The US? Pork barrel politics all the way. Eastern Europe? Run by the mafia. Australia? Sleaze a-plenty. The Carribean? Almost a national industry.

For all its faults, the UK is relatively clean when it comes to local politics. At least we don't have to give open backhanders to civic leaders - secret bribes work much better.

The council was never hung - the Conservatives had a majority of one, then a councillor resigned over Lib/Lab vetos on certain committees. However, doing that meant that he balanced the council 1/2 Tory, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Lib - with the deciding vote going to the wife of a Lab councillor!

As a bonus - it would appear that a Labour pervert, sorry, councillor is about to lose his seat - http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2120070&SectionID=455 - no more Cully-controlled council down here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here