Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will you continue to wear a mask after the 19th?

Mask after the 19th?

• Yes, particularly in enclosed public places.

Votes: 270 58.8%
  • Nope, I'm ditching it.

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Depends on the situation.

Votes: 158 34.4%

• Total voters

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I wore a mask in 2 shops today and was planning to wear one on the bus but I walked instead.
Seems sensible to wear one as we are still in a pandemic situation but I have no problem if others choose not too wear one.
What is disappointing is the staff in shops still seem to be wearing them.
I don't know if staff have been given the option to remove them but I think they should be allowed if they want.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Went to B&Q, and they had a member of staff outside asking people to put masks on. Probably the least necessary shop, seeing as it is a huge warehouse with plenty of ventilation (and leaks), but re-assuring nonetheless.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wore a mask in 2 shops today and was planning to wear one on the bus but I walked instead.
Seems sensible to wear one as we are still in a pandemic situation but I have no problem if others choose not too wear one.
What is disappointing is the staff in shops still seem to be wearing them.
I don't know if staff have been given the option to remove them but I think they should be allowed if they want.
Many shop workers are choosing to keep wearing them simply because they have to deal with plenty of idiots who won't wear them. With the current rate of infections it's highly likely that serving 2-300 customers a day you are going to come in to contact with some that are infected.

Not many people have 2-300 transactions a day with different shop workers.

Many shop workers are choosing to keep wearing them simply because they have to deal with plenty of idiots who won't wear them. With the current rate of infections it's highly likely that serving 2-300 customers a day you are going to come in to contact with some that are infected.

Speaking as someone with close knowledge of the posh green supermarket they are recommending that partners and customers continue to wear them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Speaking as someone with close knowledge of the posh green supermarket they are recommending that partners and customers continue to wear them.
Yes, many stores are continuing to recommend using them although it's not enforceable now, even though I doubt any mainstream store would eject a customer for refusal.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Since March last year when we were instructed to wear masks in shops, public transport etc we appear to have accepted the mask dodgers claiming exemption. They walked amongst us in shops, on buses, on trains and we just blindly accepted that we were happy for them to infect us if they were carrying the virus.

Remember, they were out there prepared to infect us by refusing to wear masks BEFORE any of us had been vaccinated.

Now the overwhelming majority of us have been vaccinated, anybody who exercises the right not to wear a mask as the government, acting on the science, has said there is no longer a case to require them to be worn, is being treated as a pariah.

You couldn't make it up.

May 5, 2020
Sussex

Yes it's a real Shame.
I didn't agree with shopworkers wearing them anyway seeing as they are some of the ones keeping us all going through this.
I see it now as I will continue to wear mask so shopworkers etc don't have too.
After all we are only popping in a shop or sandwich place for a matter of moments so it's no real hardship to put a mask on to protect the workers and also the vulnerable who can't wear masks.
The shopworkers are working hard for us but have to wear mask all day whilst doing it.
It just doesn't seem very respectful to choose not to wear one in my opinion.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I have to say I've noticed fewer people wearing them now and that includes shop staff.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Since March last year when we were instructed to wear masks in shops, public transport etc we appear to have accepted the mask dodgers claiming exemption. They walked amongst us in shops, on buses, on trains and we just blindly accepted that we were happy for them to infect us if they were carrying the virus.

Remember, they were out there prepared to infect us by refusing to wear masks BEFORE any of us had been vaccinated.

Now the overwhelming majority of us have been vaccinated, anybody who exercises the right not to wear a mask as the government, acting on the science, has said there is no longer a case to require them to be worn, is being treated as a pariah.

You couldn't make it up.

Exactly. I think I've been pretty compliant all through this. As a family we stuck to all the rules with regard to meeting up, I've socially-distanced, worn a mask since before they were compulsory, only bought what I needed in the shops and never stocked up 'just in case', been fully vaccinated, self-isolated when 'pinged' and taken umpteen lateral flow tests (and my wife has a weekly PCR test as part of her job).

I've hated it and found it depressing, so I was really looking forward to chucking my mask away on 'Freedom Day' and voted as such on this poll. After all 'The Science' says we don't need to wear them so why are we? However every time I've been to the shops this week I've worn a mask, the same as about 95% of the population. Like you say I'd feel too much of a pariah if I went bare-faced. I don't like it, I want to rip it off and shout "Take them off you snivelling cowards!" but obviously I don't, in fact I feel that those who aren't wearing them are being anti-social! But I respect them for having the balls to do what I won't!

So I'm a bit mixed-up. I wish they'd kept them compulsory until we'd got everybody vaccinated. I can see us being in some ghastly 'to wear or not to wear' grey area for months, maybe years if the real nervous nellies get their way. What a shambles.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly. I think I've been pretty compliant all through this. As a family we stuck to all the rules with regard to meeting up, I've socially-distanced, worn a mask since before they were compulsory, only bought what I needed in the shops and never stocked up 'just in case', been fully vaccinated, self-isolated when 'pinged' and taken umpteen lateral flow tests (and my wife has a weekly PCR test as part of her job).

I've hated it and found it depressing, so I was really looking forward to chucking my mask away on 'Freedom Day' and voted as such on this poll. After all 'The Science' says we don't need to wear them so why are we? However every time I've been to the shops this week I've worn a mask, the same as about 95% of the population. Like you say I'd feel too much of a pariah if I went bare-faced. I don't like it, I want to rip it off and shout "Take them off you snivelling cowards!" but obviously I don't, in fact I feel that those who aren't wearing them are being anti-social! But I respect them for having the balls to do what I won't!

So I'm a bit mixed-up. I wish they'd kept them compulsory until we'd got everybody vaccinated. I can see us being in some ghastly 'to wear or not to wear' grey area for months, maybe years if the real nervous nellies get their way. What a shambles.

Is it really a shambles ? I would have thought people are continuing to wear masks because they don’t want to catch or spread Covid, particularly at a time of upward trajectory of infections. I’m not sure why you say the science says we don’t need to wear them as nothing has changed in this regard. This is a zero cost way in which we can do our bit to help others. It’s a shame the Government changed the guidance but people can’t have it both ways. The consensus is don’t trust the Government so no surprise that most of us continue to wear masks despite their Freedom Day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Is it really a shambles ? I would have thought people are continuing to wear masks because they don’t want to catch or spread Covid, particularly at a time of upward trajectory of infections. I’m not sure why you say the science says we don’t need to wear them as nothing has changed in this regard. This is a zero cost way in which we can do our bit to help others. It’s a shame the Government changed the guidance but people can’t have it both ways. The consensus is don’t trust the Government so no surprise that most of us continue to wear masks despite their Freedom Day.

The CDC advice is you don’t need to wear one if fully vaccinated

Unless it’s changed - so there is mix messages

I’ve worn a mask when deemed it needed since Monday, so I don’t see it as a hassle - just pointing out “the science” isn’t saying the same

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The CDC advice is you don’t need to wear one if fully vaccinated

Unless it’s changed - so there is mix messages

I’ve worn a mask when deemed it needed since Monday, so I don’t see it as a hassle - just pointing out “the science” isn’t saying the same

Yes;
‘ According to the CDC guidance, fully vaccinated people can safely be indoors or outdoors in any type of group setting without a mask, because they are protected against severe disease caused by COVID-19, and much less likely to transmit disease to anyone else.’

However the ‘less likely’ bit is the hole in the argument. I don’t want to risk giving Covid to the unvaccinated and vulnerable so until infection levels are much lower I will continue to wear a mask. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said while the advice may have changed the science of mask protection hasn’t.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes;
‘ According to the CDC guidance, fully vaccinated people can safely be indoors or outdoors in any type of group setting without a mask, because they are protected against severe disease caused by COVID-19, and much less likely to transmit disease to anyone else.’

However the ‘less likely’ bit is the hole in the argument. I don’t want to risk giving Covid to the unvaccinated and vulnerable so until infection levels are much lower. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said while the advice may have changed the science of mask protection hasn’t.

Indeed.

And only just over 50% of the UK population are fully vaccinated, meaning a lot of people have only limited protection or absolutely none at all.

I went to do our weekly shop last night - the first time in a big supermarket since #InfectionDay. Before I went I could have told you exactly the type of people who would be in there maskless and, without exception, I was absolutely spot on.

The other 90%, wearing masks, doing their bit.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Indeed.

And only just over 50% of the UK population are fully vaccinated, meaning a lot of people have only limited protection or absolutely none at all.

I went to do our weekly shop last night - the first time in a big supermarket since #InfectionDay. Before I went I could have told you exactly the type of people who would be in there maskless and, without exception, I was absolutely spot on.

The other 90%, wearing masks, doing their bit.

What type of people were they that were maskless?

I'm curious.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I went to my local Tesco express the other day. I'd received an email from Tescos - presumably because I'd written them a stroppy email some years previously - asking everyone to still wear masks. So I pulled out the minging disposable one from my sweaty short pocket on entry and put it on my face to presumably protect my short pocket from the musky smell. On entry, there were 2 maskless employees stacking the shelves and another 2 customers walking around without them.

Given I'm doubled jabbed, test twice a week through work and probably have had covid to boot, I decided to join the club. There comes a point where you think 'Sod this' I appreciate its not the right attitude but I can't be alone. As a case in point, masks were optional at the British GP last Saturday. I saw one all day.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m about to head to Victoria so will report back with observation on masks usage [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mmm, disappointed to report I’m my carriage the vast majority are not wearing masks most of them being 20 somethings ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've noticed that young women in particular don't seem to give a toss, very few wearing masks now. As above, herd mentality. I'm actually getting strange looks because I am wearing one. (Can neither confirm nor deny that is the real reason for the funny looks)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here