Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will you continue to wear a mask after the 19th?

Mask after the 19th?

• Yes, particularly in enclosed public places.

Votes: 270 58.8%
  • Nope, I'm ditching it.

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Depends on the situation.

Votes: 158 34.4%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not a chance I'll be wearing one again. Rarely wore one before the 19th. You bunch of scaredy cats will never stop wearing them. Amazing.

When I'm out for a run and I find that I'm approaching a lone female going the same way as me, I cross over the road and run on the other side. I'm just a bloke out running and pose absolutely no risk at all to them, but as I approach they won't know that. They may be scared as they hear me or startled as I pass. So I cross the road to try and stop that happening. I'm being considerate to how they may feel.

When I go shopping I may cross paths with someone who has a compromised immunity system and has real concerns as to what catching the virus could mean for them. I may be mixing with shop workers who have no choice but to spend all of their working time around a large number of people, any of whom could be carrying the virus unknowingly. I may.be in relatively close proximity to elderly people who, through nothing other than sheer bad luck, happened to be old, and vulnerable when this damned virus arrived.

I do one main shop each week and two or three smaller shops. I don't enjoy wearing a mask - who does - but it costs me literally nothing to pop one on when I'm shopping, and it could make a difference to someone else. Thinking of others is, I think, what decent people tend to do.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I will wear one and reconsider a couple of weeks after everyone who is going to have a second vaccination has had one.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Good to see all the sensible, unselfish people still wearing masks.

I was in the supermarket the other day and saw a 'sensible' person wearing their mask and she kept touching the front of it and then touching items and the doors in the freezer aisle. Most people don't handle their masks properly and I wouldn't even be surprised if most people don't even wash them very often.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Too much self righteousness on this thread.

If someone wants to wear a mask, then great. If they don't, then that's fine too.

Masks are now 100% optional. People do their bit to remain respectful to public health in different ways. Mask wearing is just one way they can do that.

Of course it's 'fine', in a legal sense, but it's not really fine in a considerate sense, is it?

As you say, mask wearing is one way of being respectful to public health, so what possible reason (unless exempt) would you choose not to, other than saying you don't like wearing them?

As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said, no one really enjoys wearing them, but if it can help in any way at all, it's worth doing...in my opinion, anyway.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Too much self righteousness on this thread.

If someone wants to wear a mask, then great. If they don't, then that's fine too.

Masks are now 100% optional. People do their bit to remain respectful to public health in different ways. Mask wearing is just one way they can do that.

What a cynical person you are. Consideration for others is not self righteous.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
No.

People are forgetting wear we are in the pandemic. We no longer need to wear masks. If people are happier without one, then they shouldn't wear one. We are the point in the pandemic where we need to prioritise the mental wellbeing of people.

If you seriously believe that wearing a mask affects the mental well-being (of most people), you're making a ridiculous claim.
For a few, I can accept that, but to suggest that the vast majority are going to be adversely affected? Nah, just an excuse for those who simply don't care to make a small effort on behalf of others.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I'm out for a run and I find that I'm approaching a lone female going the same way as me, I cross over the road and run on the other side. I'm just a bloke out running and pose absolutely no risk at all to them, but as I approach they won't know that. They may be scared as they hear me or startled as I pass. So I cross the road to try and stop that happening. I'm being considerate to how they may feel.

When I go shopping I may cross paths with someone who has a compromised immunity system and has real concerns as to what catching the virus could mean for them. I may be mixing with shop workers who have no choice but to spend all of their working time around a large number of people, any of whom could be carrying the virus unknowingly. I may.be in relatively close proximity to elderly people who, through nothing other than sheer bad luck, happened to be old, and vulnerable when this damned virus arrived.

I do one main shop each week and two or three smaller shops. I don't enjoy wearing a mask - who does - but it costs me literally nothing to pop one on when I'm shopping, and it could make a difference to someone else. Thinking of others is, I think, what decent people tend to do.

100% this…..easy choice at the moment to help (however small) protect those still at risk, or be a selfish ***t. I don’t wear one because I’m scared - it’s not offering me much in the way of protection.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm not claiming it affects the mental wellbeing of most people. I have no idea how it affects most people. I can only speak for myself.

All I can say, it has been positive for me in more than one way not wearing a mask. If anyone else feels that it would be positive for them, then they shouldn't wear one either. There's no need to anymore - we're past that point now.

If people are happy wearing one - then great. If they're not - then don't.

Okay, I get it - you don't like wearing them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hmmm….I wonder which of us is the greater threat to society……..

Hmm. Someone who wears a mask or someone who doesn't like black women getting jobs they are fully qualified for, amputee women getting jobs they are fully qualified for, doesn't think gay people should be allowed children and posts EDL lies.

Think we might need a poll to decide this one.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
First time in London since the 19th and seemed the vast majority of people on train/underground still wearing them and understand the spirit of the rules.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
First time in London since the 19th and seemed the vast majority of people on train/underground still wearing them and understand the spirit of the rules.

Well done London travellers. In that case, I'll take my optional trip to London in September after all:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here