Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will we have another lockdown ?

further lockdown ?

• No. Boris is a man of his word and we're free again.

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • Localised restrictions/lockdowns

Votes: 59 17.3%
  • National restrictions falling short of a lockdown

Votes: 105 30.7%
  • Yes, the Bullingdon Buffoon has screwed up again and we're in for another full national lockdown.

Votes: 142 41.5%

• Total voters

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
No, its clear now that we can't vaccinate our way out of this, and all you do with lockdowns is suppress it. Its now time to live with this virus as it will be here forever.

I agree with this, although we should try to muffle the spread literally, with masks. Let's face it wearing masks has been great, it's almost as if the nation has become more attractive overnight. I had one young lady gaze in my eyes today, she made an older man very happy for a week or two!
I do feel she may have spotted my downwards glance at her ample bosom though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As I said, in Germany the lower end of this age range was identified as having a high rate of contact and transmission and actions were taken to target them. Baffling that they’d be left to last to be offered a jab in the UK and spread the virus.

I think America had the right Idea - once the at risk groups had been done - it was a free for all

Open to correction

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Give it some thought - clinical trails take years, yet now they aren’t needed. Scientists were under pressure to produce something quickly, so have used new UNPROVEN methods of delivering these vaccines where the long term effects aren’t understood.

Take your head out of your ar**.

you haven't given it enough thought. the original post you profess the vaccine isnt tested ignored the Astrazeneca vaccine which dominated distribution. so not aware of the basics. that vaccine is based on a well established type of vaccine and one that was basically on the shelf waiting to be funded. clinical trials do usually take years, but the processes accelerated - the same steps, the same precautions, led by academic teams. the usual queuing and available people and funding all solved due to the urgency. same applies to RNA Pfizer version, its been going through early stage trails for years. its actualy objectively safer because its tailored to the virus. so rather than rely on your immune system, rather then rely on the rest of the public to get vaccinated to protect you, go and get yourself vaccinated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think America had the right Idea - once the at risk groups had been done - it was a free for all

Open to correction

This is what happened here. Once “older people” and various priority groups were jabbed it was then open to everyone. The government targeted various groups within this free-for-all though. Initially all vaccinations were conducted at huge central locations but over time they also got house doctors and company doctors to jab people. The Covid passport has been a brilliant incentive for young people to get jabbed as it means you can go inside bars and venues and also go on holiday.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
We should be given honest stats and not manipulated/selective figures. I don’t have an agenda - I just want to be able to live my life how I want. I don’t want others to dictate to me, but when I say stuff like that, the sheeple react.

Any shred of credibility went out of the window with the use of 'sheeple'.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Listening to people being interviewed on the radio today: 'Brilliant, back to normal!'. I was out in town earlier. It was very sparsely populated - no market and over 30 degrees, but I didn't see a single mask wearer apart from me.

I'd be interested to read reports from people travelling on trains or the tube today.

Over on the westside, it's been a similar case, where Ruislip has been quiet, reading 32⁰c in the car.

PM sent.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This will be very difficult to enforce legally (I know that currently a lot of people are in the camp of supporting vaccines/controls). However, when someone who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons is banned from flying (for example), that will cause an outcry.

Also, as the level of deaths stay low (which IMO they will as a lot of the vulnerable people will unfortunately have already died), then the headlines will gradually change and we'll get back to normal. We get bad flu seasons and those at higher risk die at higher rates. That's not being heatless - it's just a fact of life. As people get older, they are more at risk of infection.

Eventually, Covid will just be another disease we learn to live with like flu.

I’m not happy that it looks as though the Covid ‘Passport’ use will be compulsory at some venues, but not really surprised. I would have much preferred it if the requirement for proof of vaccination was left up to the venue organisers. That way I could decide, depending on their policy, whether or not I wanted to attend. Freedom of choice on both sides.

Yes, of,course there are a small number of individuals who can’t be vaccinated for medical reasons but I don’t see why there would be an outcry about restrictions they may face any more than the outcry from those who refuse to be vaccinated facing similar restrictions. If an airline refuses to take anyone not vaccinated isn’t it their right to do so?

You seem to be in favour of freedom of choice, irrespective of the effect that choice may have on others, except when others freedom to choose has an effect on you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As I said, in Germany the lower end of this age range was identified as having a high rate of contact and transmission and actions were taken to target them. Baffling that they’d be left to last to be offered a jab in the UK and spread the virus.

younger are at far lower risk, see graphs of deaths where the entire 0-60 age group binned together, and produce a single digit % count. surprise you've missed this, and thought it was common across europe to prioritise elderly and at risk, or maybe it changed to drive uptake. it would be interesting if contact rate and jabbing younger contributed to German lower cases, and follows numbers will suddenly fall once they've been done.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's pure invention. The theory behind opening up is that this virus is so virulent that its spread is inevitable, so let's get it over with now and in the meantime the especially vulnerable can shield and dodge it. You might not like the logic, but that's what the logic is - so argue against that rather than making something up.

If this theory is correct then the vulnerable will be able to come out again after the wave is over. And the corollary is that (again, if this theory is correct) that by locking down now for everyone, and suppressing the virus, then we are only delaying its spread because sooner or later we will release again and out comes the virus again. Elimination is not (unfortunately) an option.

Whether we have another lockdown depends on the PM. And as he changes his mind every five minutes, then sooner or later he is bound to go for another lockdown.

That's not necessarily the argument that was being promoted by those that were pissed off that their lives were on hold. As you say, elimination is not an option then logically the argument is that there will be wave after wave.

Lockdowns were never about trying to eliminate the virus anyway, it was about reducing the pressure on the NHS. The virus left unchecked would have led to the NHS being unable to function.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
younger are at far lower risk, see graphs of deaths where the entire 0-60 age group binned together, and produce a single digit % count. surprise you've missed this, and thought it was common across europe to prioritise elderly and at risk, or maybe it changed to drive uptake. it would be interesting if contact rate and jabbing younger contributed to German lower cases, and follows numbers will suddenly fall once they've been done.

As I said, Germany did prioritise the elderly and some other groups but in early June (I think) they opened it up to all. When you have huge central vaccination centres, GPs and company doctors (remember the German Mittelstand is a significant part of the economy) dishing out over a million jabs a day the whole priority system became a bit futile and if anything a hinderance. Within this framework I understand the government raised awareness about specific groups and I read they saw younger people as a target, not due to the risk of catching it and being ill but more catching it and higher risk of passing it on to friends and family members. This makes sense to me. Waiting until end of September to introduce Covid passes doesn’t make sense

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No they wernt and dangerous propaganda which some media peddled

The nhs was never over whelmed

The nightingales barely got used at all

Another lockdown - don’t think so as vaccines working . Possible knee jerk reactions to cases but hopefully sense will prevail looking at hospitals and deaths

*** as a side note - hospitals in winter are normally full . Look beyond the propaganda !

I see others have ridiculed your statement but I'll add that you are clueless. The NHS was overwhelmed and the only way they were able to keep going was by ending pretty much all other non emergency treatment. I can't recall in my lifetime that happening before and the result is we now have massive waiting lists. As for the nightingales, who the hell were you expecting to work in them?

Hospitals are now struggling again and it's a horrendous situation developing at the Royal Sussex as more and more wards are converted to red wards (covid wards).

But you crack on with your own brand of propaganda and just pray you don't have need for a hospital bed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wonder how many of these anti vaxxers are quite happy to back pack to countries in the far east where you may be required to have confirmation of vaccination against certain diseases?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Seems you don't get it. Wearing a seat-belt is not injecting something into my body and possible having side effects. This thinking thing really isn't for you is it?

I get it completely - in your agenda you are number 1 and the rest don't count. If that is your philosophy then fine but be open with it don't hide behind the 'my body is a temple' thing.

What YOU are failing to get is that one either plays a positive role in our society or one doesn't and in this case playing a positive role is getting vaccinated unless of course you have a strong medical case not to. It worked for Polio, TB and things like measles , mumps and rubella , the points that you keep ignoring and go back to the seat belt COMPLIANCE example.

You are lucky if you have never had to take ANY tablets in your life as that is not the case for most and there are a lot of vulnerable people out there. I have also seen the affects of long term COVID and how it cripples people.

Me not a 'thinking' person (so funny). I am thinking about other people , give it a try you might need help one day.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
lol ok I’ll go with your propaganda bullshit rather than listen to you know, the actual heroes working in these hospitals dealing with this shit.

Also the reason nightingale was empty is because we’ve got a bunch of ***** in charge who never realised we didn’t have the staff to cover those new hospitals.

Spot on. I find it incredulous that anyone thinks this is/was a hoax or not serious and that the NHS has not been overwhelmed , it stopped doing not just 'routine' ops but serious life saving treatment that is overwhelmed by any rational .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seems you don't get it. Wearing a seat-belt is not injecting something into my body and possible having side effects. This thinking thing really isn't for you is it?

Genuinely not looking for a fight here, but you should know that the stringency and levels of testing is FAR lower for over the counter paracetamol than it has been for these vaccines. So you shouldn’t be using pain relief if you wouldn’t take a vaccine for the same reasons (lack of testing/safety standards).

Also, it’s been explained many times now how these vaccines haven’t been rushed in any way that compromises safety - the delays are usually funding and manufacturing capacity, neither of which were an issue this time, for obvious reasons.

In particular the building blocks for the AZ vaccine have been in place for 16-17 years now, the things that were tweaked for it are scientifically impossible to make it more dangerous. Plenty of good data out there.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I won’t get the vaccine. My body - my choice. I am fit and have a healthy lifestyle. I am not concerned about catching covid. I’m not anti-vax, I’m anti THIS vaccine. Vaccines takes years to develop and run trials on. This has been rushed through and is a totally new method (altering RNA). I’m happy that my immune system will work better than a vaccine, which you will constantly need boosters for.

However, I would like NHS to charge people who abuse their bodies by drink, drugs, smoking and excess/junk food. Maybe boot-camps for the slobs to get them fit and learning how to eat a healthy diet so they aren’t a drain the NHS, after all, we must protect the NHS. Can’t be selective in how we protect it.

What a load of old shit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I hadn't seen your post before I wrote my reply. I admire your restraint. The reson it took a little while for me to post was the need to edit to remove the abuse in the first draft. And second draft. A regular NSC poster of whom I'm fond PMd me yesterday to say he can take no more of NSC while cretins are posting cheerful nonsense about Covid, half-arsed conspiracy nonsense and the like.

I'm glad you got through all that and have retained your humanity and sanity. I'm not sure that I would share your composure, in your boots.

That’s very kind of you Harry. Actually I was a bit worried my tone might have been a bit too caustic. I have very good reason to avoid stress since last year so do try not to rise to it. I just feel a little sad about the number of people who spout utter bullshit about something I actually experienced.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a load of old shit.

Tempted to read the post (yes, larungitis is on ignore) and, yes, what a piece of sanctimonious ignorant shitweasselly old bollocks. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

I saw a beggar run over and dying the other day. But I am young and fit and far too busy and important to interrupt my very important lifestyle (etc etc) frankly communist types. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Genuinely not looking for a fight here, but you should know that the stringency and levels of testing is FAR lower for over the counter paracetamol than it has been for these vaccines. So you shouldn’t be using pain relief if you wouldn’t take a vaccine for the same reasons (lack of testing/safety standards).

Also, it’s been explained many times now how these vaccines haven’t been rushed in any way that compromises safety - the delays are usually funding and manufacturing capacity, neither of which were an issue this time, for obvious reasons.

In particular the building blocks for the AZ vaccine have been in place for 16-17 years now, the things that were tweaked for it are scientifically impossible to make it more dangerous. Plenty of good data out there.

I salute your indefatigability :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here