Votes: 52 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" We should have been safe in March and it took us until May to stay up, which to me suggest things were starting to go wrong. "

Piers, I am sorry old son but that is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard in my life bar none. Let me get this straight, the whole football world acknowledged that McGhee's achievement was monumental in keeping us up and he was in a shortlist of 7 managers of the year out of 92 but you think " things were starting to go wrong " :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Uncle Buck said:
So you think we are going down again, or hope so, so then you can tell people 'told you so, McGhee was the greatest ever'.
If we did get relegated, would you admit sacking McGhee was wrong?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
London Irish said:

Not sacking Magoo sooner was wrong! If we still had CKR, Wilkins' job would be completely different.

The Clown left him with nothing to work with! :censored:

Uncle Buck said:
I think the McGhee sacking was correct, I just think it should have been done straight after the 5-1 defeat to Stoke. I think he has currently left Wilkins with very little and it will take time for that to get sorted.
Well thanks for that but can you answer the question I asked? I put a scenario to you.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
" We should have been safe in March and it took us until May to stay up, which to me suggest things were starting to go wrong. "

Piers, I am sorry old son but that is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard in my life bar none. Let me get this straight, the whole football world acknowledged that McGhee's achievement was monumental in keeping us up and he was in a shortlist of 7 managers of the year out of 92 but you think " things were starting to go wrong " :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

To be honest bearing in mind you change your mind(s) more often than is healthy I will let you think what you want.

Uncle Buck said:
I think sacking me McGhee was for the best.
Even if we go down?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
UB please elaborate on that statement ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
Sorry Steve, the run I meant actually happened slightly later and was only 6 defeats in a row, silly me;

Sat Mar 5 Champ Stoke City Away Lost 0-2
Sat Mar 12 Champ Plymouth Argyle Away Lost 1-5
Tue Mar 15 Champ Wigan Athletic Home Lost 2-4
Mon Mar 21 Champ Reading Home Lost 0-1
Sat Apr 2 Champ Coventry City Away Lost 1-2
Tue Apr 5 Champ Preston North End Away Lost 0-3
I thought you meant this run in the same season:

Football League Championship Sunderland 2-0 Brighton 30-10-2004
Football League Championship Derby 3-0 Brighton 03-11-2004
Football League Championship Brighton 1-3 Crewe 06-11-2004
Football League Championship West Ham 0-1 Brighton 13-11-2004
Football League Championship Brighton 0-1 Burnley 20-11-2004
Football League Championship Ipswich 1-0 Brighton 27-11-2004
Football League Championship Brighton 1-0 Rotherham 04-12-2004
Football League Championship Millwall 2-0 Brighton 11-12-2004
Football League Championship Brighton 0-1 Stoke 17-12-2004

That's 7 defeats in nine. Before then, we were in a respectable position in the table but this started our first slide down the table.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

That does not follow because there was certainly no guarantee that MM would have kept us up.

I think the timing of the sack was wrong straight after transfer deadlione which suggests it was more to do with not bringing in players than the crowd reaction but was it entriely his fault or were there other contributory factors.

None the less it has happened so we must now move on and support Dean Wilkins.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:

That's 7 defeats in nine. Before then, we were in a respectable position in the table but this started our first slide down the table.

That one did not have me panicing as much, the one later in the season meant we dropped into the relegation spots, although we did stay up.

Still McGhee is still the Messiah and don't you forget that.

Uncle Buck said:
I do not think we will go down, I think we have a lot of rebuilding to do and part of that has been caused by McGhee tearing the squad apart.

Well, I agree with you on the first part, we won't go down.

But on the squad rebuilding part, you are in for an education I fear because the penny might just drop that it was our finances and wages that was the key problem.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Well, I agree with you on the first part, we won't go down.

But on the squad rebuilding part, you are in for an education I fear because the penny might just drop that it was our finances and wages that was the key problem.

I think we will be able to get people in, whatever you may think, I guess McGhee had become a factor in players not coming (not the only one and possibly that feedback had come from players with an axe to grind), so a couple of signings, plus Hinsh and at this level Oatway to comeback, that will make a big difference.

However the key is still finding somebody who can get us 20 odd goals.

Simster said:

And straight after that we beat two current Premiership teams Watford and Sheffield United in a middle of a 7-game unbeaten league run. :)

How many seasons do you think it will be Simster before we beat teams of that calibre again? Give me a season - go on. 08/09? 09/10? 10/11?

It's a shame that you didn't enjoy it at the time because it's going to be a fair while.

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
That is not what DK says he has always said the money is avilable if the players are.

He has said contradictory things. For example, at the August fans forum he said we had less financial flexibilty now than in the League 2 days of Micky Adams.

Uncle Buck said:
I think we will be able to get people in, whatever you may think, I guess McGhee had become a factor in players not coming (not the only one and possibly that feedback had come from players with an axe to grind), so a couple of signings, plus Hinsh and at this level Oatway to comeback, that will make a big difference.

However the key is still finding somebody who can get us 20 odd goals.

:) You can say that again. And if he doesn't arrive, will you still be blaming McGhee?

And the "I guess" bit if right because you don't have a scrap of actual causal evidence that McGhee was the problem.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here