Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
That said I am sure that the majority of fans if not all would welcome with open arms anything that may help save their club? .. All be it that they have half a dozen players hanging in for what ever reason due to their contracts and wages, if the club folds then the players will be free agent to go wherever they want? so why don't they agree to tear up there contract and go elsewhere Now? Maybe because they are not worth what they want elsewhere? Didn't we make an offer for Kirtson a few months back ?? is he Brain dead or something ?? ( think he must be !) at least he would get his wages here!! But putting all that aside Pompey are nothing without the fans and Pompey need help just as we did I don't think the fans would turn a fans united day down do you ?

I think [MENTION=786]Mileoakman[/MENTION] has the answer.
It seems that Pompey fans have had too much apethy over the situation for far too long, and, Players like Ben Haim are just merecenaries trying to cling on to stupid wages levels.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't understand how a SINGLE PFC fan would want them to continue under their current guise.

AFC Portsmouth is needed.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I can't understand how a SINGLE PFC fan would want them to continue under their current guise.

AFC Portsmouth is needed.

Have to agree 100% with you here, why would you want to continue in the current form with debt getting bigger & bigger. Just look at AFC Wimbledon they have showed it can be done and Pompey have a reasonable fan base so start again.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Totally agree it would be better to go out of the Football league and survive as a club than to go out of business and have no club at all. Hat's off to AFC Wimbledon as that's what they did and look at them now after all the years they have taken to climb back up to the football league. As every BHA fan knows we were almost out of business and out of the Football League Remember Hereford United ?? I do I was there (and in the wrong F*#@*^g !! End) If it had not been for a Plymouth fan and Fans United, things might have been a little different for us ??? I for One DO NOT & WOULD NOT want or wish for Pompey Football club to go out of Business. I am BRIGHTON Blue Through & Through one of the most emotional Days of my life was being in my seat in the lower West Stand With my son & my 3 year old Grandson with tears in my eyes taking in the moment and the build up with the sea of Blue & white Flags around the Amex, Remembering all that as a Brighton & Hove Albion Fan we had been through The Glorious Goldstone, traveling to Gillingham "ugh!!" The the wet & windy Withdean, etc, etc. Surely we as Brighton Fans would love the derby games again with Pompey! So why can't we as Football fans yes FOOTBALL fans & Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club do something to help them out ?? Perhaps loan a couple of our fringe Players free on loan for six months or so perhaps other Clubs could do the same?? perhaps a Fans United day at Fratton Park (when BHA havn't got a game) other fans did it for us Now its up to All Football fans to Help Pompey Fans save there Club.. I am Brighton Till I Die & that's it, I've said my bit. So what do the majority of true Fans think ?
I would gladley want to help , but you have to be seen to helping yourselves first. They will not dissapear entirely and the true fans will always be able to support a club in some format nad if the willing is there then that club will grow.. AFC wimbledon is the perfect example , as is Aldershot...

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
Well then what about the headline "Wayne Bridge joins Brighton on loan" isn't he on 90k a week ?? and aren't man City paying £80k of that ? so if players were loaned that we are paying just a couple a grand a week that are not getting a game or need games to get fit etc, wouldn't it be advantageous if they were getting to play and match fit and advantageous to both teams (just a thought!!) even if Pompey paid £100 a week towards it that wouldn't help there money problems would it ?
I am Brighton Till I Die & that's it, I've said my bit, but DO NOT & WOULD NOT want or wish for Pompey Football club to go out of Business.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have to agree 100% with you here, why would you want to continue in the current form with debt getting bigger & bigger. Just look at AFC Wimbledon they have showed it can be done and Pompey have a reasonable fan base so start again.

With how shit the last couple of seasons have been for Pompey I'd be genuinely excited about starting as a phoenix club, compared to what had gone before.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Honestly how many times over the last 15 years have we heard from various clubs around the country in all leagues that they have only a fortnight left in existence ? Birch is playing a deadly game of cat and mouse.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Honestly how many times over the last 15 years have we heard from various clubs around the country in all leagues that they have only a fortnight left in existence ? Birch is playing a deadly game of cat and mouse.

But how can they continue? The players don't seem keen to get off the wage bill and don't see clubs rushing to take them on, Kanu suing them for 3 Million goes from bad to worse.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well then what about the headline "Wayne Bridge joins Brighton on loan" isn't he on 90k a week ?? and aren't man City paying £80k of that ? so if players were loaned that we are paying just a couple a grand a week that are not getting a game or need games to get fit etc, wouldn't it be advantageous if they were getting to play and match fit and advantageous to both teams (just a thought!!) even if Pompey paid £100 a week towards it that wouldn't help there money problems would it ?
I am Brighton Till I Die & that's it, I've said my bit, but DO NOT & WOULD NOT want or wish for Pompey Football club to go out of Business.

The thing is we can AFFORD Wayne Bridge at the moment. When we couldn't afford higher wages we didn't pay them, which is ultimately why Mark Mcghee's side got soundly relegated in the fashion it did. We did not put results above the solvency of the club and paid the price on the pitch, unlike Pompey who are just a shambles. The way Pompey conduct themselves royally takes the piss out of every club that tries to keep it's head above water in the proper manner.

Portsmouth Fc would be a lot better off if they did fold and made their way back from the bottom, as I am sure they would.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

We are not Portsmouth FC. We are not on our third administration, (not sure of the exact figure) £157 million in debt isn't it? with their fans expecting big money signings in anticipation of promotion whilst screwing every creditor they've ever had. Our loan of Bridge is good footballing business-for Bridge, The Albion and City. Portsmouth fans were happy to lord it over Saints and ourselves when they were 'doing well'. They can fold tomorrow and I wouldn't give a damn. They haven't learned ONE lesson from their THREE administrations-they do not deserve help. When we nearly went out of business and became homeless with no money whatsoever, we fielded teams of players that nobody else wanted or were dirt cheap (OGH for instance). We didn't go out looking to sign players where we were out-bidding clubs for a players' services, offering wages we had no chance of covering. And we still ended up 11 million in debt despite being prudent. Portsmouth have gone to new levels of reckless spending and are looking to continue spending WAY beyond their means.

PFC do not deserve to be kept on life support machine any longer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As others have said, we are paying Bridge's wages with money WE ACTUALLY HAVE. It really is as simple as that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For the good of the game, Portsmouth FC need to be wound up, and the FA need to grow some bollocks and sort out how they are going to stop so many clubs gather so much debt when the game is awash with money. It really is a shameful state of affairs.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sadly, if Pompey go the AFC route and start again at grass roots level, it may well be a romantic journey for the die-hards among their support and an interesting and exciting progression through the lower leagues - a tier of football I happen to love very much.

But it will also mean an awful lot more Chelsea and Man City shirts in evidence in Portmouth and its environs, and that's not good for football, whatever the rights and wrongs of the wider situation.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sadly, if Pompey go the AFC route and start again at grass roots level, it may well be a romantic journey for the die-hards among their support and an interesting and exciting progression through the lower leagues - a tier of football I happen to love very much.

But it will also mean an awful lot more Chelsea and Man City shirts in evidence in Portmouth and its environs, and that's not good for football, whatever the rights and wrongs of the wider situation.

But a lot less Pompey shirts in Sussex! :D

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
" Lol " must admit that there are a lot less already !! Probably put a lot of it down to the two for one offer on at the Amex. :)

But what I am saying is that we have been there and undoubtedly there will be quite a few more in the future. Right now it's Pompey. What ever club it is facing winding up I would still Not want to see them go out of business, as it would come back and bite us all one day ?? :bhasign:

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

But much more Brighton shirts in Sussex, which is a good thing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With another couple of deals looking likely in the next week or so it looks as if they are slowly creeping towards survival ahead of another administration a year or so down the line.

I'm told that they paid one (small) installment on the£1.2m fee to Bari for Eric Huskelepp last summer and have effectively defaulted. Bari are refusing to write off the debt and a referal to UEFA could be on the cards. Seems at least one and maybe more of the remaining players could "do a Kanu" and walk away in the short term but sue the club for lost earnings.

Spoke to a friend who I trust about what one potential new player is being offered and the value, length, and content of the potential contract are staggering for a League 1 club starting on -10 points and with only a remote chance of promotion back to a higher level

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
" Lol " must admit that there are a lot less already !! Probably put a lot of it down to the two for one offer on at the Amex. :)

But what I am saying is that we have been there and their and undoubtedly there will be quite a few more in the future. Right now its Pompey. What ever club it is facing winding up I would still Not want to see them go out of business, as it would come back and bite us all one day ?? :bhasign:

So you are happy to see a business that has screwed its creditors 3 times carry on as if nothing happened on their way to the inevitable 4th administration? Portsmouth need to be liquidated for the good of football-maybe then the suits will get their house in order by bringing in wage caps and much tougher rules for clubs who use administration as an easy way to walk away from their responsibilities. They didn't give 2 shits about anybody other than PFC as they spent their way into the PL so f*** 'em, switch off the life support.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Flying the whole squad to Spain putting them up in an expensive hotel etc etc seems a bit strange for a club that said it "needs every penny it can get" !!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Flying the whole squad to Spain putting them up in an expensive hotel etc etc seems a bit strange for a club that said it "needs every penny it can get" !!!

As has been mentioned in this and every thread about pompey, Gibraltar FA are footing the bill for pompey to come over, and it's not the whole squad, just youth and triallists. The expensive players have stayed home to be available for transfers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here