Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
By Rory McKeown
Published on Friday 3 August 2012 07:50

THE leader of Portsmouth City Council Gerald Vernon-Jackson says he will consider loaning taxpayers’ cash to help fans take over Pompey.

It comes as the Pompey Supporters’ Trust revealed details of its takeover proposals at a press conference yesterday.

Part of it includes seeking a £1.45m short-term loan from the council to secure Fratton Park.

Former owner Balram Chainrai has £17.5m secured on the ground – but the trust is looking to offer him £2.75m to wipe that out.

But the proposals still rely on the club’s remaining high earners leaving or reaching a compromise ahead of the August 10 liquidation deadline set by administrator Trevor Birch.

Now Cllr Vernon-Jackson confirmed the loan request will be considered after previously saying the council would not help the trust’s bid financially.

He added a letter has been sent to the Premier League to request repayments to the council are guaranteed on future parachute payments.

He said: ‘The trust is asking for £1.45m – we will have to consider that and we will have to hold an emergency meeting to discuss it.

‘There are different decisions that the council could come to. There could be the view that the club’s finances have been so badly run in the past that putting any money near it is too great a risk – or we say yes with conditions.

‘I have repeatedly asked the trust that the way to make this easier for the council to think about is if the Premier League is prepared to guarantee the repayments will be through parachute payments, because there is significantly less risk.’

The trust revealed yesterday the club’s new chairman under supporters’ ownership would be businessman and life-long Pompey fan Ian McInnes, who is prepared to invest a six figure sum into the club.

The share scheme, launched earlier this year, has raised £3m in fans pledges with £1m in the bank already.

Three other fans have pledged six figure sums along with Mr McInness.

Trust chairman Ashley Brown said he is looking to hold discussions with Portpin and the players before next week’s deadline.

He said: ‘We have to have dialogue with players. We know they signed contracts in good faith and expected to get paid, but we find ourselves in the position where there’s not the money to be paid.

‘We will need the administrator’s help to facilitate those discussions.’

MP hopeful of council approving trust loan

PORTSMOUTH North MP Penny Mordaunt has urged constituents to contact their local councillors and express their views on Pompey’s future.

It comes as the Pompey Supporters’ Trust revealed part of its proposals to take over the club includes a loan request to Portsmouth City Council of £1.45m.

Ms Mordaunt, who was at the trust’s press conference yesterday, believes the loan would pose ‘zero risk’ to the authority.

She said: ‘Most people might find it weird that a local authority might do what a bank might commonly do, but local authorities loan money to organisations and other local authorities all the time.

‘I think this is a really good investment and would yield more for our city than other things the council has done in the past. We’ve got a few days, so all councillors across our city, who will be alive to that fact that this is such an important issue to the people they represent, need to concentrate on this proposal.

‘I would tell people to contact their councillor and have strong views on way or another on the issue.

‘Although there’s a short space of time left, the council can hold a meeting to approve the loan if that’s what they think is the right thing to do.

‘I sincerely hope they do that.’

Pompey administrator Trevor Birch said he welcomes the trust’s announcement and will ‘carefully study’ the details of the proposal.

So Basically they have put two fingers up to the tax man and the £50m they owed them and now tax payers are going to prop them up!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
6 more days to go...................:hilton:

Arer you still planning a party?

I might go and light the beacon on Littlhamton Beech in celebration and chuck a reef in the river!

I hope they form a new club and start again, the club as it stands is tainted badly.

Whatever happens they are going to feel very squeezed between us and Stains. The Cherries even have the chance to lord it over them as well :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry and i feel for the fans-the good ones,but for the greater good of football and footballs best interests put as the highest choice in all matters-perhaps Pompey should be allowed to sink beneath the waves..

To be made an example of and serve as a warning to all that football cannot continue in such shambolic ways...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
they will survive - not a realistic issue.

It is whether they are sponsored by the council and a supporters trust or whether Chanrai is allowed to take his money out and run them into a third administration. My guess is the administrator is taking them to Chanrai no matter what

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

It is whether they are sponsored by the council and a supporters trust or whether Chanrai is allowed to take his money out and run them into a third administration. My guess is the administrator is taking them to Chanrai no matter what

They will probaly limp on, but In my mind they are totaly immoral. How a company can wipe £150m off in debt with a limited turnover is beyond me and probaly alot of people who have lost businesses owing a pitance.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

It would of course be better if the fans trust can gain control, but they need Chanrai to agree to a £2.5 million settlement on his 'alleged' debt of £18million. Can't see that happening when Chinrai knows full well that Portsmouth are due £16 million in parachute payments over the next two years.

D

Deleted member 2719

Arer you still planning a party?

I might go and light the beacon on Littlhamton Beech in celebration and chuck a reef in the river!

I hope they form a new club and start again, the club as it stands is tainted badly.

Whatever happens they are going to feel very squeezed between us and Stains. The Cherries even have the chance to lord it over them as well :)

Beer will be drunk, plenty of it i feel a quick end to their misery will be fantastic news for everyone and who knows a few of their plastic fans may even spend their dollar with the Albion and help us be even more dominant over those sailor boys.

Not only Bournemouth but Crawley as well, Pompey are just a nothing club now.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
By Rory McKeown

THE leader of Portsmouth City Council Gerald Vernon-Jackson says he will consider loaning taxpayers’ cash to help fans take over Pompey.

It comes as the Pompey Supporters’ Trust revealed details of its takeover proposals at a press conference yesterday.

Part of it includes seeking a £1.45m short-term loan from the council to secure Fratton Park.

Former owner Balram Chainrai has £17.5m secured on the ground – but the trust is looking to offer him £2.75m to wipe that out.

But the proposals still rely on the club’s remaining high earners leaving or reaching a compromise ahead of the August 10 liquidation deadline set by administrator Trevor Birch.

Now Cllr Vernon-Jackson confirmed the loan request will be considered after previously saying the council would not help the trust’s bid financially.

He added a letter has been sent to the Premier League to request repayments to the council are guaranteed on future parachute payments.

He said: ‘The trust is asking for £1.45m – we will have to consider that and we will have to hold an emergency meeting to discuss it.

‘There are different decisions that the council could come to. There could be the view that the club’s finances have been so badly run in the past that putting any money near it is too great a risk – or we say yes with conditions.

‘I have repeatedly asked the trust that the way to make this easier for the council to think about is if the Premier League is prepared to guarantee the repayments will be through parachute payments, because there is significantly less risk.’

The trust revealed yesterday the club’s new chairman under supporters’ ownership would be businessman and life-long Pompey fan Ian McInnes, who is prepared to invest a six figure sum into the club.

The share scheme, launched earlier this year, has raised £3m in fans pledges with £1m in the bank already.

Trust chairman Ashley Brown said he is looking to hold discussions with Portpin and the players before next week’s deadline.

He said: ‘We have to have dialogue with players. We know they signed contracts in good faith and expected to get paid, but we find ourselves in the position where there’s not the money to be paid.

PORTSMOUTH North MP Penny Mordaunt has urged constituents to contact their local councillors and express their views on Pompey’s future.

It comes as the Pompey Supporters’ Trust revealed part of its proposals to take over the club includes a loan request to Portsmouth City Council of £1.45m.

Ms Mordaunt, who was at the trust’s press conference yesterday, believes the loan would pose ‘zero risk’ to the authority.

She said: ‘Most people might find it weird that a local authority might do what a bank might commonly do, but local authorities loan money to organisations and other local authorities all the time.

‘I think this is a really good investment and would yield more for our city than other things the council has done in the past. We’ve got a few days, so all councillors across our city, who will be alive to that fact that this is such an important issue to the people they represent, need to concentrate on this proposal.

‘I would tell people to contact their councillor and have strong views on way or another on the issue.

‘Although there’s a short space of time left, the council can hold a meeting to approve the loan if that’s what they think is the right thing to do.

Pompey administrator Trevor Birch said he welcomes the trust’s announcement and will ‘carefully study’ the details of the proposal.

So Basically they have put two fingers up to the tax man and the £50m they owed them and now tax payers are going to prop them up!

Ist off the scum don`t pay there taxes,and now they want the tax money we have all paid in to rescue the club,they should be told to fcuk off and do a Rangers

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Won't it be their fourth?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Beer will be drunk, plenty of it i feel a quick end to their misery will be fantastic news for everyone and who knows a few of their plastic fans may even spend their dollar with the Albion and help us be even more dominant over those sailor boys.

Not only Bournemouth but Crawley as well, Pompey are just a nothing club now.

Steady on Mouldy, i may take up an offer from a Mr Westwood to buy my season ticket for 600 quid. He tells me in good faith he has the lolly in used ten-bob notes........is the deal a goer?

D

Deleted member 2719

Steady on Mouldy, i may take up an offer from a Mr Westwood to buy my season ticket for 600 quid. He tells me in good faith he has the lolly in used ten-bob notes........is the deal a goer?

Have you had a pint of mild tonight Gullsworth or have you got Olympic fever???

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
By Rory McKeown

Now I want Portsmouth to survive and take a couple more just relegations, but taking on more debt to the council? really? The council is surely just better off adopting a policy that ensures that Fratton Park is protected from development and always available for an AFC Portsmouth.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

The 2 remaining players must stay and demand to be paid every penny they are owed,if they had played for any other club over the last couple of seasons they would have received the millions in wages that they are due.What makes dirty pompey so special that they do not have to pay there players what they are due under the terms and conditions of there contract.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I would like to see them survive, but not at the expense of the taxpayer!

They either reform as an AFC and start again or fold completely IMO.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 2 remaining players must stay and demand to be paid every penny they are owed,if they had played for any other club over the last couple of seasons they would have received the millions in wages that they are due.What makes dirty pompey so special that they do not have to pay there players what they are due under the terms and conditions of there contract.

I think Lawrence is the next to jump ship as clubs are interested in signing him. I'm confused by the City Council even considering making a short term loan to the PST as any lending/investment seen as a medium to high risk is now a no go area for municipalities and unitary authorities up and down the country after the Icelandic banks went tits up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here