Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
They're already bust though. They will cease to exist unless a buyer is found and an admin deal worked out, and whatever happens those debts are never going to be paid in full. The first-team squad is virtually non-existent. So I think its fair to say the punishment has been had, the previous owners have gone, and right now I'm on the side of the fans wanting their club to continue to exist. Fans United shouldn't stop just because its Pompey.

Agree very much so with you. Except that one more relegation is really required I think for them to have truely had a fair penalty. Wouldn't want them to go out of business.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Pompey would be much better off being liquidated and reforming as a phoenix club. Starting again from the beginning as a community club using the principles of FCUM , AFC Halifax and AFC Wimbledon and fight their way back up the football pyramid.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I have a little sympathy with 'some' of the Portsmouth supporters.

However, their club is to all intents and purposes........bust. Trying to hold on to Football League status at the expense of retaining their crooked owners and crippling debts is futile.

I would guess there is a 'hardcore' of 3-4000 Portsmouth FC supporters. It is upon their shoulders, rests the opportunity to start from the bottom and work their way up the football pyramid system. It is fortunate that they will have so many genuine supporters, compared to other clubs in lower leagues(below the Football League) with sometimes as little as 2-300 supporters.

Sooner.....rather than later, other clubs will go the way of Rangers . Personally, I think it may well bring some sense of reality to the game and bring players wages down, which are nearly always the underlying problems with any club in financial difficulties. Some clubs sadly, will have to be liquidated to bring this about......and preferably a club that has been in the top two divisions to maximise publicity and attention. If this is to be the case.....I,m quite happy for Portsmouth to be one of the sacificial lambs.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
It's probably best to take some paracetemol and drink a lot of water - hope you don't feel too bad in the morning.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You have to feel a bit sorry for Appleton reading that. Seems like a decent fella.

you must be reading another report.

what sort of manager says of his players "I've left them with my assistant to hold their hands and wipe their noses"......... now we may think of footballers as spoiled brats but the first rule of man management (especially with people who your club owes millions in back wages) is to treat them with some respect at least in public.

Appleton has lost the plot big time :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
you must be reading another report.

what sort of manager says of his players "I've left them with my assistant to hold their hands and wipe their noses"......... now we may think of footballers as spoiled brats but the first rule of man management (especially with people who your club owes millions in back wages) is to treat them with some respect at least in public.

Appleton has lost the plot big time :nono:

Agreed. And clearly the club needed to leave them behind anyway, to facilitate their moves away.

Another thing that strikes me, is that the trialists listed (Among those triallists are Izale Mcleod, Simon Gillett, Brian Howard, Moustapha Dumbuya, Jon Harley, Simon Eastwood and former Leeds winger Lloyd Sam. ) are a surprising number of familiar names - players who would command decent salaries - certainly at the very top end of League One. At what point will they actually start to cut their cloth properly?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Isn't it time some sort of humanitarian help was given.........and their life support machine was switched off....? Time to club together and buy them a one-way ticket to Dignitas.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Agreed. And clearly the club needed to leave them behind anyway, to facilitate their moves away.

Another thing that strikes me, is that the trialists listed (Among those triallists are Izale Mcleod, Simon Gillett, Brian Howard, Moustapha Dumbuya, Jon Harley, Simon Eastwood and former Leeds winger Lloyd Sam. ) are a surprising number of familiar names - players who would command decent salaries - certainly at the very top end of League One. At what point will they actually start to cut their cloth properly?

For sure - there are some players there who have been attracting quite a bit of interest - McLeod, Dumbuya and Sam in particular are players I have seen linked with bigger clubs than League 1 Portsmouth in recent weeks but they presumably are chasing a higher wage promise than others can afford? Does it come as a surprise? Does it f***! They will go bust again before the end of the season is my prediction.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
They are hoping to sign Simon Gillett who is out of contract at Doncaster. Doncaster wanted to keep him but Portsmouth are offering more money!

The cycle starts again.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here