Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Thats shocking if true.

Quick search and just found this. Surely he cannot be talking about Portsmouth?!!

Saunders confirms attempts to bring Gillett back to Doncaster Rovers are over - Doncaster Rovers - South Yorkshire Times

By Liam Hoden
Published on Friday 13 July 2012 08:00

DEAN Saunders has conceded defeat in his bid to retain the services of Simon Gillett.

Saunders confirmed to the Free Press that he was keen to re-sign the midfielder who reached the end of his contract last month.

But with his hands tied by budget restrictions, Saunders has been forced to watch Gillett find a new club.

He said: “I wanted to sort something out with Gilly but we’ve spoken to his agent and another club has been in.

“What they’re offering him is way out of our price range so he won’t be coming back to us I’m afraid.

“The situation we’re in means we were always likely to miss out on signings, whether they be new ones or old players coming back.

“But that’s life, we’ll just get on with it.”

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Latest: If the administrators can't reduce wage bill then club can't be sold and they WILL fold.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Latest: If the administrators can't reduce wage bill then club can't be sold and they WILL fold.

We can hope, but I still think it's scaremongering by the administrator in order to get the fans to pressure the remaining high earning players to leave.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I do not want to see the club go. Its very difficult with our history but the terrible running of the club has left them with these few players on ridiculous money. How I would deal with that as a fan would be difficult to comprehend, I would want to just follow them and rant.

Is it that Rangers can sack players where in the English game a contract is a contract. Hope they get some resolution and can start again with a youth team.

BBC Sport - Portsmouth near liquidation, say fans group SOS Pompey

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Quick search and just found this. Surely he cannot be talking about Portsmouth?!!

Without knowing the numbers, we can't make a judgement, and this could be a reasonable move, depending on what Donny were prepared to pay him. Is it unreasonable to think Pompey are offering £4k a week, whereas Donny can only run to £2k? Reading between the lines on this one, Pompey seem to have a buyer on the condition that the administrators can significantly reduce the wage bill, and presumably, THAT is the situation whereby Gillett could be offered a deal, as without the takeover Pompey fold.

Get Lawrence (£20k / week), Kitson (£20k / week), Ben Haim (£36k / week) and Kanu off the wage bill, and the takeover goes through. Replacing those wages with £4-5k a week for Gillett wouldn't then seem quite as ludicrous as it sounds at the moment.

However, if the offer to Gillett is £10k+ a week, then ignore everything I've just suggested.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In response to the above though, what right to they have to offer a player even £4,000 a week? If you're in that much debt, you cut your cloth accordingly, and if that means only being able to sign players who cost £500.00 per week, and getting relegated again as a result, then so be it. Even four grand a week for a player would, I suspect, be significantly above the average wage for a player in their division. Why should they be able to pay wages that other teams can't, after everything they've done?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
In response to the above though, what right to they have to offer a player even £4,000 a week? If you're in that much debt, you cut your cloth accordingly, and if that means only being able to sign players who cost £500.00 per week, and getting relegated again as a result, then so be it. Even four grand a week for a player would, I suspect, be significantly above the average wage for a player in their division. Why should they be able to pay wages that other teams can't, after everything they've done?

£4 per week is roughly the average salary in the Championship. Pompey should be looking at a wage cap of about half that, at the very most.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Absolutely this. Pompey simply do not get it at all. They still cling to the notion that results actually matter at this stage, when in fact it is survival and having something to rebuild which should be the priority. Paying thousands a week to any new players only adds further insult to injury for those creditors defrauded of their hard earned cash by the pitiful CVA's currently on offer to them.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They should just be playing their youth team every match

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wasn't there talk that they were offer a prospective player 7k a week?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely this. Pompey simply do not get it at all. They still cling to the notion that results actually matter at this stage, when in fact it is survival and having something to rebuild which should be the priority. Paying thousands a week to any new players only adds further insult to injury for those creditors defrauded of their hard earned cash by the pitiful CVA's currently on offer to them.

YES :clap:

Off topic: cricket tonight?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Assuming what's been said about Gillett here is accurate, I don't understand the player's decision either. £2K per week at a stable club you've played at already, no need to move house/any kids etc, against £4K (or whatever) per week you may never see, from a club which may cease to exist any day, and having to up sticks and head south.

I know which I'd choose.

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
Totally agree it would be better to go out of the Football league and survive as a club than to go out of business and have no club at all. Hat's off to AFC Wimbledon as that's what they did and look at them now after all the years they have taken to climb back up to the football league. As every BHA fan knows we were almost out of business and out of the Football League Remember Hereford United ?? I do I was there (and in the wrong F*#@*^g !! End) If it had not been for a Plymouth fan and Fans United, things might have been a little different for us ??? I for One DO NOT & WOULD NOT want or wish for Pompey Football club to go out of Business. I am BRIGHTON Blue Through & Through one of the most emotional Days of my life was being in my seat in the lower West Stand With my son & my 3 year old Grandson with tears in my eyes taking in the moment and the build up with the sea of Blue & white Flags around the Amex, Remembering all that as a Brighton & Hove Albion Fan we had been through The Glorious Goldstone, traveling to Gillingham "ugh!!" The the wet & windy Withdean, etc, etc. Surely we as Brighton Fans would love the derby games again with Pompey! So why can't we as Football fans yes FOOTBALL fans & Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club do something to help them out ?? Perhaps loan a couple of our fringe Players free on loan for six months or so perhaps other Clubs could do the same?? perhaps a Fans United day at Fratton Park (when BHA havn't got a game) other fans did it for us Now its up to All Football fans to Help Pompey Fans save there Club.. I am Brighton Till I Die & that's it, I've said my bit. So what do the majority of true Fans think ?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Totally agree it would be better to go out of the Football league and survive as a club than to go out of business and have no club at all. Hat's off to AFC Wimbledon as that's what they did and look at them now after all the years they have taken to climb back up to the football league. As every BHA fan knows we were almost out of business and out of the Football League Remember Hereford United ?? I do I was there (and in the wrong F*#@*^g !! End) If it had not been for a Plymouth fan and Fans United, things might have been a little different for us ??? I for One DO NOT & WOULD NOT want or wish for Pompey Football club to go out of Business. I am BRIGHTON Blue Through & Through one of the most emotional Days of my life was being in my seat in the lower West Stand With my son & my 3 year old Grandson with tears in my eyes taking in the moment and the build up with the sea of Blue & white Flags around the Amex, Remembering all that as a Brighton & Hove Albion Fan we had been through The Glorious Goldstone, traveling to Gillingham "ugh!!" The the wet & windy Withdean, etc, etc. Surely we as Brighton Fans would love the derby games again with Pompey! So why can't we as Football fans yes FOOTBALL fans & Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club do something to help them out ?? Perhaps loan a couple of our fringe Players free on loan for six months or so perhaps other Clubs could do the same?? perhaps a Fans United day at Fratton Park (when BHA havn't got a game) other fans did it for us Now its up to All Football fans to Help Pompey Fans save there Club.. I am Brighton Till I Die & that's it, I've said my bit. So what do the majority of true Fans think ?

I do not want to see them fold - but I would have issues with any actions that prevented a further relegation this season. Yes, loan players at a reduced rate but to loan players for nothing is disadvantageous and disrespectful to the other teams in League 1.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant

Whilst I completely agree with your sentiment, VC, they're not doing much to help themselves, are they?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
perhaps a Fans United day at Fratton Park (when BHA havn't got a game) other fans did it for us Now its up to All Football fans to Help Pompey Fans save there Club.. I am Brighton Till I Die & that's it, I've said my bit. So what do the majority of true Fans think ?

I think they tried a Fans United day at Fratton near the end of the last season. Trouble is hardly anybody turned up. :down:

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
Whilst I completely agree with your sentiment, VC, they're not doing much to help themselves, are they?

That said I am sure that the majority of fans if not all would welcome with open arms anything that may help save their club? .. All be it that they have half a dozen players hanging in for what ever reason due to their contracts and wages, if the club folds then the players will be free agent to go wherever they want? so why don't they agree to tear up there contract and go elsewhere Now? Maybe because they are not worth what they want elsewhere? Didn't we make an offer for Kirtson a few months back ?? is he Brain dead or something ?? ( think he must be !) at least he would get his wages here!! But putting all that aside Pompey are nothing without the fans and Pompey need help just as we did I don't think the fans would turn a fans united day down do you ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here