Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will anyone actually call Falmer 'the Amex'?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Straw man argument, stick to what I'm actually arguing against - calling Falmer the Amex - if you insist on misrepresenting my position by attaching your version of what I'm actually saying then f*** off and 'argue' with somebody else.

You can call it the Amex and suck The Man's cock, I'll call it Falmer and spear sheep with my farming utensils.

Naah, I'll stick with you for now if thats alright.

How exactly have I misrepresented your argument ? You refuse point blank to call the stadium by its name as you despise the "conglomerate capitalistic hegemony". Thats your right, but I've pointed out that the club is getting a significant and vital financial boost from this arrangement. So why Amex are deserving of this bile and diatribe being aimed at them for daring to buy the naming rights to the stadium is still escaping me somewhat.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Listen silly man, go away, you haven't the tools to understand the basic logic of sound reasoning.

Feel free to f*** off

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Listen silly man, go away, you haven't the tools to understand the basic logic of sound reasoning.

Feel free to f*** off

:lolol:
Yeah ok. The basic logic and sound reasoning of telling Amex to stick their money so we can just call it 'Falmer'.

Genius.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
In return for their millions, they get the naming rights to the stadium, and presumably a corporate box or two. So whats the problem ? Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that the club should turn down a multi-million pound deal on the table, just so some misty-eyed fans can hark back to a bygone age when business and football wern't such close bedfellows ? Get. Real.

It may have escaped your notice, but that large steel structure is costing Mr Bloom a little bit north of £90,000,000 of his hard-earned to build. And you actually BEGRUDGE him getting some outside sponsorship on board to help finance the thing ??

Incredible.
If the club want to sell the stadium naming rights I don't BEGRUDGE them that, American Express have bought the naming rights for a certain length of time. But they don't OWN the stadium, they don't OWN the club, and thye don't OWN the fans. I cerftainly won't be calling it "The Amex" out of some misplaced sense of gratitude that our corporate betters have done us some massive favour in doing this.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, lets not stop at calling the stadium the Amex we should refuse ALL sponsorship, not more Ist, no more Donatellos and definitely no Npower League, Pity that we would have as must money to spend on strengthening the team though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
begrudge is one thing, thinking it's a really good/great/cool/catchy (all terms used on here in the past) is another, we dont refer the the beloved shirt as an 'It's' / 1st, what ever it's meant to say? do we?

Nope, but then shirts are just shirts. They're not venues, or destinations.

Look, it doesn't matter a jot WHAT people refer to it as. Its been branded as the Amex, so personally thats what I'll quite happily call it. You call it Falmer, or 'that stadium' or whatever makes you feel happy. Falmers just the name of a nearby village though, its irrelevent, its just a site.

I just find it a bit odd. Most fans just call their stadium by their stadium name (with the very valid and honorable exceptions of those who's EXISTING historic stadium names have been sold off, a-la Bradford). I also find it wierd that people are having a pop at Amex for sponsoring the club and boosting the coffers. I suppose we've just got polar opposite points of view on it and are looking at it completely differently, but hey ho.

:shrug:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I will call it the AmECS, because that is its name... and will always be most grateful to Dick Knight, Martin Perry and Tony Bloom for its existence.

Yes, lets not stop at calling the stadium the Amex we should refuse ALL sponsorship, not more Ist, no more Donatellos and definitely no Npower League, Pity that we would have as must money to spend on strengthening the team though.

It goes a lot deeper than that, before clubs sold everything they owned to the highest bidder, shirts, back of shirt's, shorts, stadia names, stand names etc etc, players were not on £100k a week and quibbling for more, Lets say The Albion team of 1980 were on todays equivelent of £5000 a week, has the game improved 20 fold since then? I don't think so

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the club want to sell the stadium naming rights I don't BEGRUDGE them that, American Express have bought the naming rights for a certain length of time. But they don't OWN the stadium, they don't OWN the club, and thye don't OWN the fans. I cerftainly won't be calling it "The Amex" out of some misplaced sense of gratitude that our corporate betters have done us some massive favour in doing this.

No problem with this at all. I don't consider that Amex own the club / stadium any more than I'd consider IT 1st own the shirts. They are sponsors of the stadium, no more and no less.

I actually hope Amex get the shirt deal as well as it happens (like Arsenal have done with the Emirates). I'll be quite happy to see that dopy "IT 1st" logo ditched from our shirts, its rubbish. Amex's blue and white logo should go very nicely on the shirts next season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't stand it when stadiums get corny sponsorship names like 'the Emirates' or 'the Reebok stadium' etc.

To me, the ground has always been, and will always be, Falmer. So is anyone else going to be referring to it was Falmer, or is the general consensus going to be the Amex?
In an ideal world it'd be nice to call it falmer, but I appreciate the money they're paying for the name, so I'd be happy for everyone to call it the Amex. I don't know what the sponsorship deal is, but if no one ever called it the Amex, I imagine we'd get less money for the rights in the future, which means less money for players, and rubbish football. Go Amex!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It goes a lot deeper than that, before clubs sold everything they owned to the highest bidder, shirts, back of shirt's, shorts, stadia names, stand names etc etc, players were not on £100k a week and quibbling for more, Lets say The Albion team of 1980 were on todays equivelent of £5000 a week, has the game improved 20 fold since then? I don't think so

You could buy a house for £5000 in 1980, reckon you could do that now ? I rather doubt it, the same house now would cost about £200,000 now. It's called inflation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If sponsorship was banned across all clubs, that would be ok. We'd still get good players around the world. But you hardly want your club to be the only ones not accepting sponsorship, and taking on the world with less cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here