Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will anyone actually call Falmer 'the Amex'?

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
perhaps i'm just all wrong on this, if you must know i'd rather watch players who played for the team and the shirt ( the money would be a secondary issue) and yes I am livin in some fuckin dream world

I agree with that. However the matter of fact is that today you have to pay inflated wages and transfer fees. Surely any money coming into the club is a good thing and being stubborn and not calling it the Amex out of spite for corporate sponsorship and selfishness (you said you owe American Express nothing) is fairly lousy on your part. Just my opinion mate.

I agree with that. However the matter of fact is that today you have to pay inflated wages and transfer fees. Surely any money coming into the club is a good thing and being stubborn and not calling it the Amex out of spite for corporate sponsorship and selfishness (you said you owe American Express nothing) is fairly lousy on your part. Just my opinion mate.

it's a bigger picture than that, I not sure it's selfishness though, i'm simply demonstrating MY OWN personal priciples and beliefs (were these not two key tools we used duing the Belotti/Archer years?) I mean, is it okay now to, say, shop at Focus or toys are us? you tell me.

Just MY opinion mate

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I can but only to a certain degree because I taught myself, I like doing things that way. It's like thinking for myself, I have an opinion and I voice it, I'm very sorry it doesen't agree with yours so you have to make a snide little insult (and not for the first time)but hey, that's what thinking for one's self does for you

It's an insult that somebody as backward as you deserved, it's a very stupid and ungrateful attitude. Amex have put money into the club so you'd prefer that they kept their money ? Good thinking, maybe you should think a bit harder. It's clear that learning is not the only thing you do by yourself. Thinking isn't really involved with that though. (Now that's a snide remark).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amex Stadium, that will do nicely...

Anyone had an Amex card? Doesn't work everywhere, a lot of places charge extra to use it, high fees etc. Lets hope it's Amex in name only!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You really sound like a nasty piece of work. Ungrateful? what have YOU ever done for this club? please don't start making comments like your opening line to someone you know nothing about.

Oh dear, we have an Uber fan here, tell me , what have YOU done apart from be a complete dickhead ? You are a nasty piece of ungrateful stupidity, you don't want Amex's money ? You think they should just give it to us for nothing ? You'll be on your own there.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I don't think that anyone has to call it the Amex. We don't owe the company anything. I'll keep referring to the ground as falmer simply because that's what I've known it as for years.
Someone raised a good point about if the ground gets a new corporate sponsor. Say Tesco sponsors it from 2015 onwards. Will those that refer to it as the Amex suddenly call it the Tesco or something similar (and don't say you'll call it the supermarket :laugh:)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't think that anyone has to call it the Amex. We don't owe the company anything. I'll keep referring to the ground as falmer simply because that's what I've known it as for years.
Someone raised a good point about if the ground gets a new corporate sponsor. Say Tesco sponsors it from 2015 onwards. Will those that refer to it as the Amex suddenly call it the Tesco or something similar (and don't say you'll call it the supermarket :laugh:)

Actually, the money they have given us does we do owe them something. It's a matter of personal taste what anybody wants to call it but let's not demean those who have put something into the stadium. As a matter of fact several clubs have changed their name officially to satisfy new sponsors, it's just a name after all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I shall mostly be calling the new stadium......" tarquine"

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have an element of sympathy with Dr Notthenineo'clocknews; if it were possible I'd much rather the stadium hadn't been branded. Sadly however it's the way of the world these days. If Liverpool, Everton or Spurs move grounds there's a good chance they'll follow Arsenal (and almost every other club with the notable exception of Man City) in having their new ground branded with a sponsor's name.

So given that it's not the 1970s any more and income streams have to be maximised I think we could have done a lot worse than 'The Amex'. 'The Tampax' springs to mind, or perhaps the Anusol Stadium. And like others I never liked the name 'Falmer' as it has too many negative connotations, so yeah, given the times we live in and the alternatives I'm more than happy to call it The Amex.

And if it hadn't been sponsored we could have ended up with some dreadful twee name like The Seagulls Nest. *shudder*. I think I would have preferred The Tampax.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If Liverpool, Everton or Spurs move grounds there's a good chance they'll follow Arsenal (and almost every other club with the notable exception of Man City) in having their new ground branded with a sponsor's name.

The Investec Stadium... you heard it here first (or maybe you didn't).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im sticking to Falmer, as that what its already called. i have nothing against Amex, i have nothign against Falmer either. its the place of our great triumph over the Nimbys. I think the two might be used interchangably by everyday fans.

all those getting precious about the new name might consider that in 10 years you'll have to change to calling it "the Harveys", "the Virgin", "the Eon" or anything really.

Oh dear, we have an Uber fan here, tell me , what have YOU done apart from be a complete dickhead ? You are a nasty piece of ungrateful stupidity, you don't want Amex's money ? You think they should just give it to us for nothing ? You'll be on your own there.

interesting to learn that according to your Yahoo page, you're 55, i would have guessed you be about 16, it proves to me that you can tell nothing about someone by what they post or the manner in which they do it, you might want to take that on board (it's up to you of course) but anyway thanks for all the personal insults (due to me daring to have an opinion that you don't agree with) you've ruined my day. Anyhoo i'm calling it a day now,as backward as I am I must go to work, those chickens wont milk themselves y'know:albion2:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'll be referring to the place as I always do, i.e. I'll be "Going up the Albion" or "Going to Football".

Oh, aren't I the rebellious one...

EddieReader

Aug 15, 2010
Amex for me, they have put the money in, and it sounds O.K anyway. They are also the Town's biggest employers.....It could of been a lot worse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here