Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will anyone actually call Falmer 'the Amex'?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I already call it the Amex.

The name is fine - and they paid the money - they get to choose the name.

I prefer Amex to Falmer. Falmer reminds me of nimbys.

I also have no problem if people want to call it Falmer. But I agree with Notters - it reminds me of Nimbys.

'The Amex' for sure, just as our Tone referred to it on 5Live earlier this week.

American Express probably don't care what the locals call the stadium-their money has been spent for 10 years worth of "And now over to the Amex/American Express Community Stadium" heard by millions on SKY, BBC,etc., and used in newspapers' match reports.

Personally, on match days it'll be "going to the football" but when talking about the stadium it's The Amex-too much negativity surrounding the name Falmer for me.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
The sooner we get rid of the Falmer name, along with all it's negative associations the better.

In fact, let's go one further and start a CAMPAIGN to rename Falmer railway station.

How about to 'AMEX' or even 'Brighton Stadium'. That way we don't need to be reminded of all the lies, negativity, and dirty tricks everytime we use the train.

:amex: :amex:

:fishing:

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Falmer for me. It sounds a lot better than 'The Amex" which sounds like some sort of bleach you clean the bog with. I think it's a losing battle though, as most fans will call it Amex as the media will never use the word Falmer. It will be like the Arsenal stadium when a lot of Arsenal fans wanted to call their stadium Ashburton Grove but as the media always went with the sponsor name of the Emirates you will never hear anyone calling it Ashburton Grove any more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Falmer is merely the name of a nondescript, scrubby little village, split by a dual carriageway, and inhabited by some odd people who are still living in the 17th century. We just happen to have built a stadium next to their timewarp dwelling. Why on EARTH would anyone want to refer to our gleaming new stadium as "Falmer" ??

Its the Amex. And even if they change the name 10 years down the line, it will always be The Amex to me, because thats what its started out as. Much like Bradford will always be Valley Parade to me, even though its gone down the corporate namechange route a few times (I couldn't even tell you who sponsors it now).

Whatever the first name of the stadium is, thats what it is. I'll get used to it, and thats what I'll call it. End of.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
:facepalm:

If they decides to call 'Arsehole Arena' I would have accepted it. We're getting a F***ng stadium at last! Who cares what its called!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If it was built in Henfield, would we call it "Henfield" ?
If it was built in Shoreham, would we call it "Shoreham" ?
If it was built in Upper Dicker, would we call it "Upper Dicker" ?

Of course not.

So WHY call it "Falmer" ? Its just a meaningless placename.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
If it was built in Henfield, would we call it "Henfield" ?
If it was built in Shoreham, would we call it "Shoreham" ?
If it was built in Upper Dicker, would we call it "Upper Dicker" ?

Of course not.

So WHY call it "Falmer" ? Its just a meaningless placename.

This post was brought to you by your Big Match sponsors "Greedy Bastard Incorporated - Put a Big Mac in Your Tank (terms and conditions apply)"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This post was brought to you by your Big Match sponsors "Greedy Bastard Incorporated - Put a Big Mac in Your Tank (terms and conditions apply)"

Greedy bastards that Amex lot, chucking a few million quid the clubs way over the next ten years. The SWINES.

Baah, lets turn down the cash and name it after Nimbyville after all. Strike a blow for us repressed peasants everywhere.

Falmer it is.

- and while we're at it, lets ditch shirt sponsorship, advertising hoardings, and ALL OTHER commercial revenues used by the club to bring the money in. Disgusting EXPLOITATION, thats what it is.

*waves pitchfork*

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Greedy bastards that Amex lot, chucking a few million quid the clubs way over the next ten years. The SWINES.

Yeah, because giant US corporations do that for free, that's what they're in business for - to give charitable donations to third tier English Football Clubs, expecting nothing in return.

Falmer it is.

For many it will be, and long after American Express have f***ed off it still will be

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, because giant US corporations do that for free, that's what they're in business for - to give charitable donations to third tier English Football Clubs, expecting nothing in return.

In return for their millions, they get the naming rights to the stadium, and presumably a corporate box or two. So whats the problem ? Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that the club should turn down a multi-million pound deal on the table, just so some misty-eyed fans can hark back to a bygone age when business and football wern't such close bedfellows ? Get. Real.

It may have escaped your notice, but that large steel structure is costing Mr Bloom a little bit north of £90,000,000 of his hard-earned to build. And you actually BEGRUDGE him getting some outside sponsorship on board to help finance the thing ??

Incredible.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
- and while we're at it, lets ditch shirt sponsorship, advertising hoardings, and ALL OTHER commercial revenues used by the club to bring the money in. Disgusting EXPLOITATION, thats what it is.

Straw man argument, stick to what I'm actually arguing against - calling Falmer the Amex - if you insist on misrepresenting my position by attaching your version of what I'm actually saying then f*** off and 'argue' with somebody else.

You can call it the Amex and suck The Man's cock, I'll call it Falmer and spear sheep with my farming utensils.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Good idea to rename the Railway Station.

In Birmingham, the Station at the University is called 'University'

Why not rename Falmer Station 'University & Stadium'

Do you honestly believe anyone who lives in Falmer actually uses the train station?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here