Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will anyone actually call Falmer 'the Amex'?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well actually I think I would, yes. The best name for a ground is to use the most prominent road name on which it sits, however in the case of our shiny new stadium it doesn't sit upon any particularly interesting old named roads and so the next best thing is to use its general location as a name, which in this case is Falmer, technically a village outside the city but in my mind just a neighbourhood. Much like Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk and Kemp Town are neighbourhoods.

Ask a West Ham fan what he calls their stadium because most will tell you they refer to the ground as Upton Park, which is just the general location in which the Boleyn Ground is situated, not the stadium's name.

I appreciate Falmer is not the best name in the world BUT it is a name that's relevant and historical, as opposed to Amex which is simply the name of a large American financial firm.

In fact do you know what I'd like to call it? I'd love it if it were called Old Shoreham Road, irrespective of the fact that it's nowhere near the ACTUAL Old Shoreham Road because this would confuse other people whilst also referencing the location of our much loved and sadly missed old home.

I don't care that Amex have put money into it and if people want to call it by the Amex name then let them, that's not my beef. I just don't fully understand the readiness a lot of fans have to buy into the corporate culture and refer to the stadium by a bland, irrelevant brand name.

Amex get what they want in having the stadium referred to as the Amex in the press but we fans don't need to be so easily swayed

Can see where you're coming from as regards calling it as per its location. But for me, I couldn't WAIT to completely disassociate the stadium from the word "Falmer". Its a rubbish name with horrible, depressing connotations. I can't hear the word Falmer without associating it with "Falmer residents...". And that, sir, is a whole chapter in this clubs history that I will be DELIGHTED to forget.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Spot on Easy.

I still think it was an EPIC FAIL not to call it the Coldean or Moulescoomb stadium, if nothing else to shut up the ignoramouses who were "how dare they destroy a village to put a stadium up".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Amex for me, Falmer is a depressing name that just brings back years of shit from the people who opposed it. I'd change the name of the village to Nimbyville if it was up to me and eradicate the word Falmer from the language.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Can see where you're coming from as regards calling it as per its location. But for me, I couldn't WAIT to completely disassociate the stadium from the word "Falmer". Its a rubbish name with horrible, depressing connotations. I can't hear the word Falmer without associating it with "Falmer residents...". And that, sir, is a whole chapter in this clubs history that I will be DELIGHTED to forget.

I do understand this view BUT to me I think it's a big fat slap in the face to all the sneaky runts who tried to throw spanners in the works along the way for us to proudly call it FALMER. The local residents made a big stink so when we won we did it in their name just to wind them up even more.

And it wasn't me who welched on a bet. You're confusing me with another poster (again).

For some reason my profile was raised when I got a ban for remarks that were misconstrued as anti-Semitic and ever since then I've got confused for whoever it was said Amex would never sponsor our stadium.

I have no beef with Amex, I'm just not one for corporate branding

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I do understand this view BUT to me I think it's a big fat slap in the face to all the sneaky runts who tried to throw spanners in the works along the way for us to proudly call it FALMER. The local residents made a big stink so when we won we did it in their name just to wind them up even more.

And it wasn't me who welched on a bet. You're confusing me with another poster (again).

For some reason my profile was raised when I got a ban for remarks that were misconstrued as anti-Semitic and ever since then I've got confused for whoever it was said Amex would never sponsor our stadium.

I have no beef with Amex, I'm just not one for corporate branding

spot on, squiddy. i'm definitely with you. people can call it whatever they want, but i'll always refer to it by the historic area it's in, not whichever massive brand (i have no problem with amex, by the way) happens to have naming rights that day.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
They were originally gonna call our stad The Friends Provident Stadium but the fans revolted so it got changed to The Friends Provident St Marys Stadium.

You should all get together and insist it's called something like the Amex Falmer stad or something, then just take the Amex out.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Absobloodylutely :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here