Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I must have missed that. The way you talk anyone would think we were top of the league with 14 wins and 2 defeats, the run you talk about had us with 9 wins and 7 defeats and 7th and a couple of wins against div 4 teams in the cup. The footall this season has been very average not this silky smooth winning machine you alude to. Wilkins is an average manager and we are an average team an average 3rd division team with a manager who will not manage a team above the 3rd division because he is not good enough. This will do for now but the season before Falmer , Knight will pay Wilkins off and get a proper manager in.

But you are the 'Fan' I am alluding to.

You work solely on results without a thought to circumstances, any Brighton Manager is likely to fail judged on your one dimentional measures.

Without a Chairman allowing the manager to make critical player recruitment and player retention decisions your results system may not reflect the Managers real worth and therefore your judgement is flawed.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hmmm, Are you suggesting that Mr Knight who expects loyalty from players and managers alike, will be disloyal himself and kick a man in the teeth who has been very loyal to this club for more years than I care to remember.

Hinshelwood is loyal, loyalty counts for diddly squat its a results business 14th in the 3rd division is fine for now but it will be be fine when we have Falmer and then we will need a manager. who can manage

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Also I think most managers have chairmen to deal with and knight is about the best Wilkins could work with

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wilkins league record

Played 67
Won 22
Drawn 17
Lost 28
Points 83

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hinshelwood is loyal, loyalty counts for diddly squat its a results business 14th in the 3rd division is fine for now but it will be be fine when we have Falmer and then we will need a manager. who can manage

Don't you think that is a little unfair on Wilkins who had a team going well in the results business, until his chairman dismantled his team?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Ok Ok ..... So at the end of the season every manager whos team ends up lower than us in the league is worse than Wilkins and every manager whos team ends up higher than us in the league is better than Wilkins.

Surely you recognise that this is unlikely to be a true representation of those managers.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't you think that is a little unfair on Wilkins who had a team going well in the results business, until his chairman dismantled his team?

We were just above mid table with 9 wins and 7 defats hardly pulling up trees in a very mediocre division. It will do for now but will not do at Falmer to have an average 3rd division team, I am sorry but I do not think Wilkins is a good enough manager to get any team promotion.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
This is EXACTLY what happened to McGhee. When we sacked him we were doing better than we are now, and he never had the luxury of spending anything like £300,000 on one player....

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
2004-10-14%20ALP%20scapegoat%20hunt%20450299.JPG

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
This is EXACTLY what happened to McGhee. When we sacked him we were doing better than we are now, and he never had the luxury of spending anything like £300,000 on one player....

Agree with the last bit, but what is 'EXACTLY what happened to McGhee'?

Fans losing patience with poor results, baffling tactics and tiresome excuses? Or something else?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

They seem to think he's ok at Motherwell.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
They seem to think he's ok at Motherwell.

But by your own flawed system, Mcghee could not of performed well at Motherwell, in fact probably not even been considered for that post.

So why has he over-performed, probably other factors, maybe Chairman, Crowds, Finance, Support and Lady Luck and until you can factor these into your system it really doesnt tell us much.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Agree with the last bit, but what is 'EXACTLY what happened to McGhee'?

Fans losing patience with poor results, baffling tactics and tiresome excuses? Or something else?

I just mean McGhee was pushed out because he was struggling to push for promotion with a team which was constantly being weakened against his wishes. I think folks are realising now that he was performing exceptionally well despite these obstacles, because he is a quality manager with experience in getting teams promoted. (In particular from League One!!!)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But by your own flawed system, Mcghee could not of performed well at Motherwell, in fact probably not even been considered for that post.

So why has he over-performed, probably other factors, maybe Chairman, Crowds, Finance, Support and Lady Luck and until you can factor these into your system it really doesnt tell us much.

Run that by me again ???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I do not know if I have said this before but MCGHEE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN SACKED. The fact BHAFC had a manager of the quality of McGhee was astounding. Knight unfortunately lost his nerve and went with the vocal minority, a HUGE mistake. As 99% of what he has done has been superb I will forgive him for this.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
mcghee had completely lost the plot when he went.

he was an ok manager, but had done absolutely nothing about the scouting network, his permanent signings were generally poor and he kept falling out with players.

A lesson for the players in that, and although we would always hope that pro footballers don't need it - some of these lads are too young to have that thing called experience, and today woulda been a prime lump of experience. More so than snagging an injury-time equalizer at Oldham.

Another recent lump of it was handed out at Withdean against Mansfield.

I can make predictions for these events (and I do post them), as sometimes to my mind they seem almost inevitable as gravity in their obviousness - but whatever you say (and you can say it loud as you like to players too) they won't hear as well as once they've been clobbered between the ears by reality happening to them.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I just mean McGhee was pushed out because he was struggling to push for promotion with a team which was constantly being weakened against his wishes. I think folks are realising now that he was performing exceptionally well despite these obstacles, because he is a quality manager with experience in getting teams promoted. (In particular from League One!!!)

It was the fans that ultimatley got him the sack.
I for one have never booed a manager. Just refused to clap them.

Give Wilkins time though as he has had his side taken apart and will need time to rebuild.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here