Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins

D

Deleted member 2719

Wilkins is really only interested in the boys he's brought out of his youth squad. He has been trying to create a team of Wilkins Babes who would storm the league. His bubble has been burst.

We need to build a better team. He's not the man to do it.

So would you have said that after the Crewe match?

I guess not.

When we had a settled side we had a reasonable results and that will happen again.
The true test for any manager is when he has been wounded my gut feeling is Wilkins is a fighter and he will produce mid table to 5th place by the end of the season.

So let's Keep the Faith and see what happens.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:perhaps he is on a bonus for each youth teamer that plays for the first team as that is the cheapest way for us to get players in the first team!!

Brilliant tactical substitution taking off Butters and bringing on Gatting in the 90th minutes when we were hanging on desperately for 3 points.:lolol:

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
:

Brilliant tactical substitution taking off Butters and bringing on Gatting in the 90th minutes when we were hanging on desperately for 3 points.:lolol:

Gatting came on AFTER we had conceded both goals

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gatting came on AFTER we had conceded both goals

So it showed on The Championship. I will admit that I was wrong as I took the report literally that he came on after 90 mins and they scored in 92nd and 94th minute, that what comes of staying at home decorating and not going to a game.

I am begining to come to the conclusion that the mangement team as a whole is not good enough and am not sure how many and who needs replacing as I am told by brightonbear on here, that White and Chapman do a good job, and by his posts I would think that he is a player. I wonder if the 3 of them are all to pally pally with the players and not strict enough in the Warnock mould.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So it showed on The Championship. I will admit that I was wrong as I took the report literally that he came on after 90 mins and they scored in 92nd and 94th minute, that what comes of staying at home decorating and not going to a game.

I am begining to come to the conclusion that the mangement team as a whole is not good enough and am not sure how many and who needs replacing as I am told by brightonbear on here, that White and Chapman do a good job, and by his posts I would think that he is a player. I wonder if the 3 of them are all to pally pally with the players and not strict enough in the Warnock mould.

it was still a rather strange substitution.

I agree with you about the management team, it all seems too cosy and the promised elder stateman (of the Jim Smith, Bobby Robson, Dave Bassett mould) to bring some valuable experience for Wilkins turned out to be Ian Chapman (from Whitehawk), or is it Lloyd?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lloyd is chief scout and DK said at the time of the appointment that he weould have nothing to do with team selection or tactics perhaps that was wrong as he proved his ability by taking us to the play offs, only to be beaten by Warnock at Notts County to get promotion to Div 1

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think saying he's "only" interested in the youth players is unfair. Afterall Forster, Whing, Kuipers, Butters, and Murray have all been played regularly (in Murray's case he will be played regularly obviously, even if it hasn't happened already). None of those are Wilkins youth players. What he perhaps is guilty of is placing too much faith in the youngsters, and persisting with them for too long. It's a fact of life that a large percentage of youth players don't go on to make the grade at first team level. But, ever since we kept on 10+ of the youth team, and then another 4-5 last year, we haven't been willing to cull the ones who have proved inadequate. Our youth system is good, because it does provide some decent first-teamers, but we don't seem to want to lose the ones who won't make it, hence the huge presence of 20 year olds in this squad.

In Wendys defence he did originally say that ideally he would use the young players sparingly. Unfortunately our squad was too small and taking the injurys into consideration he hasn't been able to use them as he'd of liked.

Saying that, I still don't think he's the right man for the job. I hope he proves me wrong.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
After the Crewe match, it seemed to me that we had the foundations of a better team. But those foundations need to be built on.
And the way to do that is sack the manager? ???

Incidentally the team that beat Crewe contained a massive FOUR home grown players. Wilkins has to use what he has at his disposal, he has shown no sentiment towards Rents, Gatting, Robinson, Fraser, Sullivan and others in attempting to bring in better players. Look at the amount of players he has brought in... it is perverse to suggest he is trying to build a team out of his former youth charges.

Dandyman

In London village.

Incidentally the team that beat Crewe contained a massive FOUR home grown players. Wilkins has to use what he has at his disposal, he has shown no sentiment towards Rents, Gatting, Robinson, Fraser, Sullivan and others in attempting to bring in better players. Look at the amount of players he has brought in... it is perverse to suggest he is trying to build a team out of his former youth charges.

Well said. The biggest problem the Albion face is a lack of finance. Wilkins is still learning as a manager, but to take a freak result as some indicator of managerial ability is one the barmiest reactions I've seen, even by NSC standards.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hang on, this " Wilkins is still learning as a manager " is getting TIRED now as an excuse. He has been manager for nearly one and a half years and had 67 league games and about 80 games including cup matches. That on top of the managerial experience he had running the youth team. After this experience you would not expect a manager leading 1-0 after 90 minutes to take off a central defender and put on a striker. And this is not a one off freak result at all.

How long will he be a manager learning his trade, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years ?.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Hang on, this " Wilkins is still learning as a manager " is getting TIRED now as an excuse. He has been manager for nearly one and a half years and had 67 league games and about 80 games including cup matches. That on top of the managerial experience he had running the youth team. After this experience you would not expect a manager leading 1-0 after 90 minutes to take off a central defender and put on a striker. And this is not a one off freak result at all.

How long will he be a manager learning his trade, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years ?.

Spot on....

How long will the wilkins excuses go on.....

Dandyman

In London village.
Spot on....

How long will the wilkins excuses go on.....

And how many games have you actualy been to this season to form your opinion?

The point of my comment was actually that Wilkins still has things to learn (like not taking off Robinson for Wes Fogden however well intentioned that was) rather than providing any "excuses".

I assume if we do make the play-offs you and the other Wilkins haters will do the honourable thing and decline your Wembley tickets?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been to all the home games this season and last and we have made no improvement in 17 months since McGhee left, thats a long time in football.

I'm pleased that the 'Wilkins Babes' experiment has been abandoned. We now have some decent, experienced players in the squad. The trick will be to use their skills effectively. The challenge for the coach is to find a way to get the younger players to take the lead that the experienced guys can offer. This means a whole new dynamic in the dressing room.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
7 points from last 3 homes games is great record, our home record is already better than last season - IMPROVEMENT!!

If you look at the league our home record is woefully average. And yes I suppose it is an improvement on the last 12 home games last season 1 win 4 draws 7 defeats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here