Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I must admit that I genuinely expected Wilkins to be getting the side to perform better than he has managed. We finished 18th or 19th this season and we're looking very much like midtable fodder this time out. It's disappointing, but all is not lost. Clearly what Wilkins has got to do is get some consistency into the team - we look very useful once week and utter amateurs the next. You can't forever write off defeats like Saturday as "oh well, we weren't at the races" because that was a valuable 3 points we've thrown away. It was the sort of win we needed to launch a play-off push - going into 5 home games off the back of two straight wins could have been the perfect springboard. I'm not hopeful of a finish above 10th place any more.

Personally I want to see some consistency in the team and the club to be in the top 6 at Christmas (next season) threatening to be a major promotion contender. If not, I suspect my conclusion will be that Wilkins is just not the man for the job. He knows his football, tactically I think I trust him, but clearly that just isn't enough on its own.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I must admit that I genuinely expected Wilkins to be getting the side to perform better than he has managed. We finished 18th or 19th this season and we're looking very much like midtable fodder this time out. It's disappointing, but all is not lost. Clearly what Wilkins has got to do is get some consistency into the team - we look very useful once week and utter amateurs the next. You can't forever write off defeats like Saturday as "oh well, we weren't at the races" because that was a valuable 3 points we've thrown away. It was the sort of win we needed to launch a play-off push - going into 5 home games off the back of two straight wins could have been the perfect springboard. I'm not hopeful of a finish above 10th place any more.

Personally I want to see some consistency in the team and the club to be in the top 6 at Christmas (next season) threatening to be a major promotion contender. If not, I suspect my conclusion will be that Wilkins is just not the man for the job. He knows his football, tactically I think I trust him, but clearly that just isn't enough on its own.

That is the best post I have read on here for a while. Matches my sentiments exactly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He deserves a couple of years in the job before jumping to any conclusions. This is why I can't take Gareth's criticisms too seriously, because despite agreeing with a lot of what he says, it is clear that he is motivated out of bitterness for McGhee losing his job when everybody else knew he'd gone beyond his shelf life.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its not personal to Wilkins just the folly of the new appointment. We need an experienced manager with some gravitas now.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
He deserves a couple of years in the job before jumping to any conclusions. This is why I can't take Gareth's criticisms too seriously, because despite agreeing with a lot of what he says, it is clear that he is motivated out of bitterness for McGhee losing his job when everybody else knew he'd gone beyond his shelf life.

Funny enough I have said a pretty similar thing on byf's thread.

As I have stated there, all the transfer window activity suggests Wilkins is still building the team he wants and should be judged on how those dealings work out.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Funny enough I have said a pretty similar thing on byf's thread.

As I have stated there, all the transfer window activity suggests Wilkins is still building the team he wants and should be judged on how those dealings work out.

Les when'officially' will it be the team that Wilkins built?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Les when'officially' will it be the team that Wilkins built?

I suppose that will be a matter of opinion won't it, difficult to qualify. For me personally I would say after the summer. He would have had time to settle in the youngsters, have a clear out and has obviously spent money getting players he wants in.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hang on, this " Wilkins is still learning as a manager " is getting TIRED now as an excuse. He has been manager for nearly one and a half years and had 67 league games and about 80 games including cup matches. That on top of the managerial experience he had running the youth team. After this experience you would not expect a manager leading 1-0 after 90 minutes to take off a central defender and put on a striker. And this is not a one off freak result at all.

How long will he be a manager learning his trade, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years ?.
Again, this is nonsense. If you wanted to criticise Wilkins about Saturday then just say the performance was appalling, because it was. But to say that because he has been in the job a year and a half that now means he's an experienced manager is silly, as is saying that he took off a defender when we were 1-0 up. Gatting came on AFTER the two goals went in. There was a still about a minute and a half played after that so it was worth a last ditch gamble surely?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I really feel he is out of his depth....every week..its something completly different...from good to down right AWFUL.........no wonder people stay away...it aint worth the money...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I am ın support of Wılkins but saying a manager needs two years is ridiculous. The average shelf-life of a manager is much less than that... the reality is that managers have to justify themselves immediately. I applud Dk and the rest of the board for keeping patience with Wilkins and applaud Deano for what he's done so far. Sure he's made some mistakes but even the best do. If we finish mid table or better than Wilkins has engineered an improvement this season. If we finish 13-17th then at least no change. Anything lower than 18th then I would probably start questioning Deano's ability in the job.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I am ın support of Wılkins but saying a manager needs two years is ridiculous. The average shelf-life of a manager is much less than that... the reality is that managers have to justify themselves immediately. I applud Dk and the rest of the board for keeping patience with Wilkins and applaud Deano for what he's done so far. Sure he's made some mistakes but even the best do. If we finish mid table or better than Wilkins has engineered an improvement this season. If we finish 13-17th then at least no change. Anything lower than 18th then I would probably start questioning Deano's ability in the job.

You are a very generous fan, you sir are a managers dream!

If wilkins job is to keep this club in league one...then he's doing well.....if it is to take th club forward and up and out of this division and keep gates above 6k...then he is doing a poor job!

I dont tink mid-table is good enough...but what do i know!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

That's probably because, with many board of directors, and like far too many people on here, they demand instant success. Now, now, now.

Granted a board has a higher vested interest in getting success - it means more money for the club and hence a more stable financial set-up. However, in this instance, I suspect the contract Knight offered Wilkins (or possibly one Wilkins demanded) was always going to have to be long(ish)-term because of the squad Wilkins inherited - which was far too heavily biased on his own youth squad, and with nowhere near enough experience. It needed heavily re-building.

It was pride on our part (look how many home-grown players we've got... etc) that hoped it wouldn't. I think we can expect a major clear-out this summer, then let's see who we get in, and take a view from there.

I've already written this season off as play-off contenders, but then I did back in August. I predicted 10th, and I'm sticking to it. I never expected a play-off berth, merely a fairly decent improvement on last season - and I think I can fairly safely say we've had one.

But whatever happens, it's not going to stop me going to Withdean, cheering on the lads, singing a solo in D Block, abusing the ref and getting cold.

I do, however, expect a play-off berth next season.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
That's probably because, with many board of directors, and like far too many people on here, they demand instant success. Now, now, now.

Granted a board has a higher vested interest in getting success - it means more money for the club and hence a more stable financial set-up. However, in this instance, I suspect the contract Knight offered Wilkins (or possibly one Wilkins demanded) was always going to have to be long(ish)-term because of the squad Wilkins inherited - which was far too heavily biased on his own youth squad, and with nowhere near enough experience. It needed heavily re-building.

It was pride on our part (look how many home-grown players we've got... etc) that hoped it wouldn't. I think we can expect a major clear-out this summer, then let's see who we get in, and take a view from there.

I've already written this season off as play-off contenders, but then I did back in August. I predicted 10th, and I'm sticking to it. I never expected a play-off berth, merely a fairly decent improvement on last season - and I think I can fairly safely say we've had one.

But whatever happens, it's not going to stop me going to Withdean, cheering on the lads, singing a solo in D Block, abusing the ref and getting cold.

I do, however, expect a play-off berth next season.

I think you're 10th is optimistic, Al. And 'fairly decent' improvement - have you really had that? Doesn't sound like it to me. And also, why do expect a play-off berth next season? Just because we have a clear out does not make us any more financially viable so what makes you think Wilkins is going to have the ability to improve the team significantly enough to mount a play-off challenge?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You are a very generous fan, you sir are a managers dream!

If wilkins job is to keep this club in league one...then he's doing well.....if it is to take th club forward and up and out of this division and keep gates above 6k...then he is doing a poor job!

I dont tink mid-table is good enough...but what do i know!

Thanks BYF! Don't get me wrong... I'd like to be going up too. I just don't think we have the money or the players to do that with and with the resources at our disposal mid-table is all we 're going to get.

Seem to remember McGhee saying, quite a while after he left, that he thought Wilkins was doing a good job and he couldn't have done much better with the resources at his disposal.

When I really lose my rag is if we are still in League 1 when Falmer arrives. That season MUST be in the Championship. Nothing less will do!.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
When there are teams like Walsal and doncaster in and around top spot...it makes me wonder about our currant squad. I mean we dont have what forest,leeds and swansea have...but I do think we are under achieving at mo.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

top post - the money wilkins has spent, coupled with the time he has had in the job means that next season is the real key one. all those factors mean that next season we need to be challenging in the play offs, but unfortunately at the moment we dont see to have progressed at all from where mcghee left us

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
If mcghee hadnt had such a poor season previosly he wouldnt have been sacked, as the start he made was fine....just not for a manager that had us relegated.

Think the same could apply for wendy...a poor finish to this season and I feel first 6-8 games will be his lot.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you're 10th is optimistic, Al. And 'fairly decent' improvement - have you really had that? Doesn't sound like it to me. And also, why do expect a play-off berth next season? Just because we have a clear out does not make us any more financially viable so what makes you think Wilkins is going to have the ability to improve the team significantly enough to mount a play-off challenge?

I don't think 10th is optimistic at all - it's where we've been floating around for most of the season. We've been as high as 6th, and as low as 14th - even that makes 10th average.

Yes, we've had a decent improvement - in some cases, better than decent. Elphick has come on leaps and bounds, Forster was an excellent signing, Murray started well aganst Crewe (don't know about 'Nam), Thomson is looking a decent acquisition. Cox, despite what some are saying, is playing well - usually.

The difference between this season and last season is noticeable. Players (at least those deemed good enough for Wilkins to have picked) are improving. Those that haven't aren't being picked regularly - Rents, Gatting, Loft etc. Having said that, I actually think that what Wilkins is trying to achieve is still beyond the capabilities of some of the players.

The clear-out I am half expecting this summer is with a view to clear out some deadwood - who that would be, I've no doubt, something for everyone to debate. That would free up funds for new players. As has been said time after time, the club try not go for players who are as good as the players they currently have - they want players who can offer something better. Granted, it doesn't always happen, of course. So the improvement I would be expecting would come both from new acquisitions AND the young players currently within the squad maturing with every game.

Don't forget, Cox, Elphick and Lynch are still only 20, and still have plenty of room for improvement. It's fair to say all have made a decent start to their careers.

What is evident is the improvement in team morale (the Crewe merry-go-round anyone - Butters' subsequent comments?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here