Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Signs New Deal

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Statto said:
God luck to him. If we have a good season next year, then he has proven me wrong. I think a one year contract (with the optionof extending it) would have been better. Say it all goes pear shaped next season. Can we afford to pay off another manager?

but in the meantime im fully behind him.

You talk sense young man.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
dougdeep said:
You talk sense young man.

First time for everything i suppose:jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Withdean Wanderer said:
So i say say if we look like going down in October we should sack him, and i'm a fool.

When do you suggest?

I said that I would judge him at Christmas, although he deserves longer than that - with the transfer windows it is a gradual process on building your team. He may not be able to get hold of the right players straight away.

It does pay to show some faith in the manager. Look at Gradi, Fergie et al. I am not saying we have one of them on our hands, but it is churlish to act rashly. Of course, if his position became untenable then it would obviously be sensible to act. We are at best a decent League One side until we can begin to divert funds away from the Falmer case and invest in the playing squad. You don't win anything with kids.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
albionapril23.490753.full.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good news.

I'm glad the issue is sorted because if the players know the manager is going to be for the foreseeable future it makes contract talks, loans and transfers more straightforward.

With lots of doom and gloom this season I think Wilkins has done well - it can't have been easy walking in after McGhee and have to deal with the CKR and Henderson mess, bring along a team of kids and all without Reid, Charlie and, for the most part, Hinsh.

Well done Dean!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well, it could be a lot worse I think.

Hopefully there'll be a bit less tinkering, the dreaded 'tactics board' will get the boot and we'll make substitutions within, say, 15 minutes of the player having stood up, ready to come on.

Let's hope if we're going to give him a chance, the board do the same and come up with some decent signings. Otherwise, it could be a long, miserable season - especially if Micky Adams happens to be leading Brentford out of League Two at the same time!

Good luck Deano :)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I predict he wont finish his deal without being made a number 2 or sacked before the 3 years are up...

I'll dig this up in 18months and see how things look.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Great News. He is a young manager with stacks of potential who needs time and support. Allow him time and resource to bring his own players in - blend them in with our developing younger players - and the future could be very bright.

He was the best option for life after McGhee - and little has changed.

le ros bif

Jan 3, 2007
sw france
My God! The ink isn't even dry on the contract and the flow of the conversation on here is when he'll get sacked!!! Personally, I think three years a tad generous,but suppose we've gone for the cheap option.........unless we've got a stunning assistant lined up....get rid of the County League connections...with full respect to the County League of which I used to be part of.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ernest said:
A contract no SENSIBLE chairman would have given him :angry: :angry: :angry:

I read that as SENILE chairman

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Brilliant news, contract long enough for him and the team to develop. Hopefully he will lose the curse of Falmer that has struck previously.

Look forward to it all coming together on the pitch, we could be unique in having a side made up of local players by his third year at Falmer.

Will be exciting to watch the next phase, good luck Deano.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Are contracts worth anything in footbal these days, if the club has the money to pay you up, you can be out very quickly.

If he can keep Hammond, Lynch and Cox and add some good honest pros, he has the foundations of a good team that can challenge in the league.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
im not totally convinced with appointing dean wikins as manager!
however i will back him 100% and the team he builds and i sincerely hope he proves my doubts in him wrong!
heres to a successful 2007/2008 campaign! come on you seagulls!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here