Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why aren't the mods doing their job?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Really? Can you show me the thread where ALL the mods came running? Or is it just another example of your paranoid imagination?

Its just an example of me exagerating for dramatic effect, it was a few. No I cant show you the thread because the mod/s in question edited it.:thumbsup::laugh:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Unless of course it is vindictive moderator like E77, who spends the majority of his time looking for any excuse to ban/threaten "vulture".

It is about time E77 did the decent thing and resign, and apply for a job as a traffic warden.

For the record I have excused myself from the last few decisions with Vulture to let the views of the other mods come into play and his current ban was a collective mod decision I executed.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
For the record I have excused myself from the last few decisions with Vulture to let the views of the other mods come into play and his current ban was a collective mod decision I executed.

Oh I see...............so you excused yourself because you obviously realise that you are completely biased AGAINST "vulture".

No change there then.

Personally, I think it,s time you stepped down.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Even if we could have a mod on here 24/7 (which we can't) there is going to be a delay between an offensive post/thread starting and it being dealt with.

This isn't me trying to make a dramatic point but if some of the things on here are likely to land you in trouble at work, don't look at NSC at work.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Blimey, I'm a little surprised by the responses to P.L's more recent comments. Apart from Giraffe, it seems a lot of the more sensible types on here have utterly missed the point and ironically now appear more closely aligned to the numbskulls who provoked this thread. Maybe the lunatics are running the asylum? ???

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This isn't me trying to make a dramatic point but if some of the things on here are likely to land you in trouble at work, don't look at NSC at work.

Does anyone else work in an open plan office? What is so difficult to understand that he's not talking about content but thread titles which you have no choice but to see it if it's next to one entitled "Transfer Rumour"?

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
Even if we could have a mod on here 24/7 (which we can't) there is going to be a delay between an offensive post/thread starting and it being dealt with.

That's a bit of a silly response. Proper enforcement by the mods would soon let people know what can and cannot be posted, especially if accompanied by a short ban. I think the problem is twofold: we have some posters who have no respect for others; and some people have no idea what is allowed and what isn't, because there is no easily accessible set of guidelines (ie as a sticky at the top of the Board).

And in the case I raised in my OP, the thread title was up for at least five hours, I'd guess, and for most of that time it was at or near the top of the pile.

And my complaint wasn't that I would 'get into trouble' over it, although that is possible I suppose, it was that I might not be able to access NSC at work all because of a few inconsiderate posters.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does anyone else work in an open plan office? What is so difficult to understand that he's not talking about content but thread titles which you have no choice but to see it if it's next to one entitled "Transfer Rumour"?

I must confess I have no idea what thread title you are referring to, but during working hours and during the peak holiday period there are often times when we are not around to check on the site.

We therefore rely on NSC members to be the eyes and ears and use the 'report post' facility. I don't think it was used earlier today apart from a reference to a posting on Ask the Falmer Team.

As for Bozza dictating rules to us, he has always given us complete freedom to use our discretion in relation to what is acceptable, and there is no interference from either the Albion or the Argus. We can't get decisions 'right' in the eyes of everyone because people have different opinions and tolerances.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm calling it a night, but at close of business you've got to give it to PL. He's kicked yer asses in terms of sensible argument without being verbally abusive all you cyber-hoodlums!! Amen to that:thumbsup:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It doesn't matter that its the title not the content.

Do your f***ing job. I don't get to surf NSC from college. And if i could, i wouldn't. Why? Because if i did, it'd be flagged on the system and i'd be pulled up over it.

Surfing NSC from work is likely against your workplaces usage policy anyway.

Personally the liberal moderating on here is what makes NSC great, anything legal goes.

The thread that started all this was entitled "Women who look like their fannies smell" or something similar. So it avoided using any of the more offensive terms such as tw*t, c*nt, p*ssy, cl*nge, m*nge, fl*nge etc.

A complete overeaction to what was a fairly harmless thread. The main objection was seemingly the title of the thread not the content of it... Surely a mod could have simply re-worded the thread title once it was brought to their attention? Removing the thread completely seems OTT considering a lot of more offensive and NSFW content remains on NSC (as it should do!).

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
Surely that depends on what the definition of 'proper' means. Is there any reason why you did not report this thread?

Hence my suggestion that guidelines as to what "proper" means be available as a sticky. That way we all can see what is acceptable and what is not.

Why didn't I report it? To be honest, I can't understand why a thread title along the lines of "women who look as if their fannies smell bad" would even need reporting - if we have mods who actually view during the day, this should be an obvious case. If we don't, then what's the point of being a moderated forum? As I said before, get mods from different time zones if work hours are a problem (although it seems to me that mods post often enough during the day, so it shouldn't be).

If titles like that are going to be acceptable on here, I'm not sure I would want to be opening NSC at work - or at home.

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
Personally the liberal moderating on here is what makes NSC great, anything legal goes.

According to you maybe. But we aren't all you, believe it or not. That's what people don't get.

People used to show respect with their thread titles, but not any more.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
We therefore rely on NSC members to be the eyes and ears and use the 'report post' facility.

A bit Like the Stasi in former east Germany then? Maybe thats part of the problem, if you have some members with a "report X topic" fetish or a vendetta against certain posters then discretions by some, say vulture, are going to be flagged up out of proportion to all the possible discretions that go on on the boards.

To the mods have regular snitches?

As for the mods I see a few have been around since the year dot. If circumstances change over time, which you expect they would, shouldn't they step down for fresh blood? Those who can commit time?
Being a mod is a job, and a pretty thankless one in my experiance, and not a status symbol for a bout of snobbery and to abuse power.

I think e77 should go as its obvious to me he's a cyber-psycopath. Hitoney should get a clue and not try to hold conversations with spambots in the banning forum.

3 or 4 newbies and a bout of resignations is called for.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think execution is too a harsh penalty, just think of all those miscarriages of justice...shurely a week-long ban would suffice?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
There are Mods who view during the day, as there are at night, but none of us sit here policing NSC watching every thread / every post.

Your reason for not bothering to report a certain thread title, quite honestly is pathetic, click on the red triangle and report it if you dont like something.

As for having a sticky with "do's and Dont's" again is a waste of time, there are stickys explaining what "Ask the Club" and "Ask the Falmer Project Team" are all about, and we still have to ban people for misuse of those sections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here