Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why aren't the mods doing their job?

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Isn't this a football forum ? Getting off topic sometimes with requests for advice is fine but I look at the main board sometimes and think that it has been taken over by some year 9 class in a boy's school. It would be better if they did their growing up somewhere else.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Simple answer, don't access NSC at work - get on with what you are being paid to do

People have breaks you know and are allowed to access the net? And for what it's worth, I totally agree. It makes me embarrassed likewise to open NSC and see such threads.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why aren't the mods doing their job?

I have been doing mine, started at 6.30 this morning and still at it. I try to sneak onto NSC whenever possible, but I'm 200 miles from home and relying on a dongle from '3' for access.

NSC is a success partly due to the fact that 99% of posters exercise self moderation, thereby ensuring that those of us Nazi Jackbooted types are only needed on an irregular basis.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
It's obvious that more mods are needed then.

mods.jpg

Apart from a few minutes before going to work this morning and a couple of minutes in the middle of the day - looking at just one thread - this is my first visit to NSC today.

As several people have said ... we do have other things to occupy ourselves with.

And - as Bozza has said - REPORT IT.

Note to self ... Now go check whether you've had any e-mails today.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
we all know what NSC is, a perfect blend of albion, football, sports and other assorted nonesense. If you dont like what it is, or you feel it may impact negatively on you or work or home life then simply don't open it when you feel it is inappropriate. Munfish's thread is commonplace on this forum as is many unrelated topics. If you have a major problem with a thread/post/poster then report it. One of the mods will get round to assessing it. My advice would be don't leave a page open with a particularly lively/colourful football forum being displayed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Now, from what Bozza says, it seems like daytime modding is almost non existent, so I will click on the Red Triangle from now on !.

I'm not saying that exactly, more that moderation during the day is likely to be more reactive than proactive.

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
I'm sorry but I will give you "that guff about having to report it". I have spent a small amount of time on NSC today, and I have no idea what thread(s) you have an issue with. There has been one 'report post' today on NSC and it happened in the last few minutes (which is why I'm on NSC right now, checking it out) and I know it's nothing to do with whatever it is you are referring to.

Daytime moderation is always liker to be lighter as most mods, like me, have daytime jobs. As such there is little time to casually peruse the site looking for troublesome content.

When someone reports an NSC post it appears in my inbox in bright red, due to the auto filtering I have in place. I do this so I don't miss it and so that I can act on these as soon as I possibly can.

I simply can not over-state the importance of the ability of the NSC community to help the moderation process by reporting questionable postings. I've said this time and time again. Yet it seems that most still leave it for somebody else to take care of.

That's not an acceptable answer.

The whole point of my complaint is that it is not about CONTENT. No-one would expect the mods to necessarily know about content issues without being notified.

But a thread title that has been posted on enough times to bounce it to the top 20 or 30 times should surely have been noticed by at least ONE mod?

Or is that kind of title okay these days?

And if having mods viewing during the day is 'lighter', can you tell us Bozza how much lighter the viewing and posting is during work hours? Because it seems to me it isn't a lot 'lighter'. Perhaps you need some more mods from other time zones.

At the end of the day, NSC is regularly referred to in the Argus these days and there are bound to be people coming to take a look at what it is. I don't think these kind of threads are a good advert for the club.

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
I'm not saying that exactly, more that moderation during the day is likely to be more reactive than proactive.

Well thank you for now removing the thread - and my complaint wasn't aimed at you specifically, but the modship in general. Perhaps better guidelines need to be issued to the mods if it takes five or six hours for action to be taken on something so blatant. And I only say that because I know there is little point in just asking posters to be more respectful of others.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well thank you for now removing the thread - and my complaint wasn't aimed at you specifically, but the modship in general. Perhaps better guidelines need to be issued to the mods if it takes five or six hours for action to be taken on something so blatant. And I only say that because I know there is little point in just asking posters to be more respectful of others.

Oh shut up you whinging twat.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Unless of course it is vindictive moderator like E77, who spends the majority of his time looking for any excuse to ban/threaten "vulture".

It is about time E77 did the decent thing and resign, and apply for a job as a traffic warden.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Just don't view NSC at work then, simple.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010

Just shut UP!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the end of the day, NSC is regularly referred to in the Argus these days and there are bound to be people coming to take a look at what it is. I don't think these kind of threads are a good advert for the club.

NSC has nothing to do with the club.

What guidelines do you propose I issue? Something like: please make sure you regularly abandon your paying job to undertake some largely thankless work reviewing content on NSC and moderating where appropriate?

The moderating team, of which I do not really consider myself a part, regularly receive plaudits for getting it 'just about right' on NSC compared to so many other forums.

The only guideline that needs reinforcing is to the NSC membership at large: if you see something dodgy - take the 10 seconds required to report it. Don't assume someone else has. This gives the moderating team a chance to react and take any required action.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Oh please it's an Internet message board!

It's a bit like when people complain about sex and violence on tv...if u don't like it, turn it over.

It's YOUR choice to access NSC at WORK. If you don't like what's written then don't access it there.

Please now just go away!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
who is this pompus arsehole... the thread is no worse than i have seen on here before in the past.

i often view it from work, i wouldnt want anyone to see half the thread names but its quite simple close it if people look over your shoulder or not at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here