Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Are you stuck in the 90’s? When is the last time you witnessed trouble at a Brighton game apart from handbag stuff? It’s moved on the England fan base is diverse now, one of my Asian customers rang me this morning and he’s just excited about the game as I am.

He's right though. Those that attend football no longer are preoccupied with a ruck with the other fans but there are plenty who don't go to football that will use it as an excuse for trouble.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Mate, you're not being as clever or insightful as you think. Just offensive more than anything because my opinion on this country differs from yours with your "if you don't like it here go and live somewhere else", Daily Mail rhetoric. Believe it or not there are many things I do like about this country despite the corrupt, morally bankrupt public (self) servants that run it.

Mate, you are the one that has said on this thread, in short, you are not behind the England team because you despise this country because it has a Tory Government and is inhabited by racists.

If I despised the country like you conveyed that message surely leaving it is a reasonable consideration. However, it appears from your recent messages you don’t really despise the country and you are following the England, and you were just having a tantrum in your previous message.

Fine by me, enjoy the ride tomorrow.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mate, you are the one that has said on this thread, in short, you are not behind the England team because you despise this country because it has a Tory Government and is inhabited by racists.

If I despised the country like you conveyed that message surely leaving it is a reasonable consideration. However, it appears from your recent messages you don’t really despise the country and you are following the England, and you were just having a tantrum in your previous message.

Fine by me, enjoy the ride tomorrow.

I missed that post, did he really say he despised this country?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Haha. I have to say I got more excited as the Denmark game approached and much more excited since seeing that we didn't bottle it as usual.

All I hope for Sunday is that they leave it all on the pitch. Just give it everything and we can't be let down then.

So I'm a nutshell....

Glory Hunter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m working on it, the weather is not helping though :smile:

It’s all a bit surreal to me still, England in a final has finally happened again, please don’t feck it up with a missed opportunity due to tactics….

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
That's what happens when Ferg turns up with the oh so predictable

1) Use whataboutery and button pushing to wind people up to their limits
2) Write something that even "The Sun Says" would consider a little OTT. All the better if it mentions money and taking the knee. And then
3) Disappear for a while.

If you can get a trite allegation and some copy and paste stuff in all the better,

It’s so cute that you notice, I know what Krept and Konan would say...........

https://youtu.be/BigyqAiSiSQ

Came with that n***a, you should be my b***h.

Mwah, mwah.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mwah, mwah.

With the whole nation singing their official England track in unison it's no wonder that even the Gammonati have finally accepted this fine representation of modern Britain.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Indeed so.

Strong words, but apparently not meant, it’s all ok I think the mattress has dried out and sanity has returned.

Strolled in like a lion and left like a lamb.

Are you sure he used the word "despise"?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't be arsed reading all of the 25 pages worth of slur and counter slur but I have the sentiment in the thread title. I cannot get enthused and I don't know why. I don't hate my country. I am not a Marxist/Nazi. 1990 and 1996 are two of my favourite football years because of the national team. It is nothing to do with hooligans. I have bought some beers and will watch the game and want us to win.

But the dead rubber CIty game meant more to me and I don't know why. All I can think is I cannot warm to Southgate and I don't like our style of play. We have beaten a Germany team that scraped through the group and no-one else of note. But that wouldn't have bothered me in 1990 or 1996.

Bottom line though - I can't force enthusiasm.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can't be arsed reading all of the 25 pages worth of slur and counter slur but I have the sentiment in the thread title. I cannot get enthused and I don't know why. I don't hate my country. I am not a Marxist/Nazi. 1990 and 1996 are two of my favourite football years because of the national team. It is nothing to do with hooligans. I have bought some beers and will watch the game and want us to win.

But the dead rubber CIty game meant more to me and I don't know why. All I can think is I cannot warm to Southgate and I don't like our style of play. We have beaten a Germany team that scraped through the group and no-one else of note. But that wouldn't have bothered me in 1990 or 1996.

Bottom line though - I can't force enthusiasm.

:eek:

Not permitted on here, Swiveller, the baying mob will be deluging your inbox any minute. Batten down the hatches and adopt the brace position. Engurland, Engurland, Engurland!!!!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mwah, mwah.

In fact, you seem such a fan now you should probably go to a gig after lockdown. You could join in with all the words, finally allowing you to say "that one" out loud, and in the quiet bits you could tell the audience your Marcus Rashford theory.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Are you sure he used the word "despise"?

He did use the word - but it was clear that he was talking about the way the country is run, the government and nationalistic attitudes.

I also despise the government, the way this country is run and nationalistic values

But don't tell me this means that I should leave. I love Brighton and its people, I love the music, art, culture and sport of this country. I will stay, and hope that we can wrestle back the real British values; tolerance, inclusivity, respect and diversity.

In the meantime, bring on the final!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Being completely honest I didn’t go mad for any of them and I’m the same as the OP, I’m still angry about the 1990 WC semi final, took me many weeks to get over that, I even kept thinking days after it was either a bad dream or FIFA would reverse the result due to the West Germans cheating!

I was the same in that World Cup, heart broken, watched every game of that tournament. Collected all the memorabilia, as a 12 year old it was everything!! Age plays a part for sure.
I remember in 86 some kids in our park were so excited breaking the news that the ref of the England Argentina game had been sacked and we were replaying them and Maradona was suspended!! Went home and told my dad, who was unable to convince me for days that it was untrue

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He did use the word - but it was clear that he was talking about the way the country is run, the government and nationalistic attitudes.

I also despise the government, the way this country is run and nationalistic values

But don't tell me this means that I should leave. I love Brighton and its people, I love the music, art, culture and sport of this country. I will stay, and hope that we can wrestle back the real British values; tolerance, inclusivity, respect and diversity.

In the meantime, bring on the final!

Thanks, I also despise this Government, and share your hopes, but I would never say I despise this country.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
:eek:

Not permitted on here, Swiveller, the baying mob will be deluging your inbox any minute. Batten down the hatches and adopt the brace position. Engurland, Engurland, Engurland!!!!!!

That is the worrying part about this - people feeling the need to tell you what you should be thinking and that you are a traitor if you don't. Jingoistic nationalism is definitely on the rise as far as I can see. Saw an earlier post that it is possible to support the team without supporting the undesirables. It is also possible to not be wetting yourself with excitement over a football match and not be a member of the Taliban.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is the worrying part about this - people feeling the need to tell you what you should be thinking and that you are a traitor if you don't. Jingoistic nationalism is definitely on the rise as far as I can see. Saw an earlier post that it is possible to support the team without supporting the undesirables. It is also possible to not be wetting yourself with excitement over a football match and not be a member of the Taliban.

:lolol:

I know what you mean (your previous post about being more excited about our game with City).

I know that some on here hanker for the Albion of 20 years ago, and all the thrills of travelling the land without the need to have a ticket in advance, to watch us wallop the likes of Bury with our Bobby Zamora, and now it's just corporate rubbish....

But others, me included, feel (and I mean really feel) this is the best times for The Albion. Playing (and beating) the best teams in the world.....

So, like so many supporters of top flight teams, as it was and ever will be (look at the flags at England games - see below from 2018), England takes second prize when it comes to excitement about football.

Many of our (Albion) supporters are living in the past and still have lower league mentality.

I have though about almost nothing other than England since before the semi. I am very excited. But compared with every Brighton game, not so much :shrug:

EnglandFans2018.jpg

Edit: the bottom right flag refers to Notting Forest winning the European cup in Munich in 1979, not the defunct nazi wankers.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
:lolol:

I know what you mean (your previous post about being more excited about our game with City).

I know that some on here hanker for the Albion of 20 years ago, and all the thrills of travelling the land without the need to have a ticket in advance, to watch us wallop the likes of Bury with our Bobby Zamora, and now it's just corporate rubbish....

But others, me included, feel (and I mean really feel) this is the best times for The Albion. Playing (and beating) the best teams in the world.....

So, like so many supporters of top flight teams, as it was and ever will be (look at the flags at England games - see below from 2018), England takes second prize when it comes to excitement about football.

Many of our (Albion) supporters are living in the past and still have lower league mentality.

I have though about almost nothing other than England since before the semi. I am very excited. But compared with every Brighton game, not so much :shrug:

View attachment 138485

There may well be something in the fact that the England team is now full of players we see as rivals whereas they were a world away 20 years ago. But one of my frustrations is how good a group of attacking players we have and yet the emphasis is on defence so I don't think it is that. My opinion is that some of the wins have been in spite of the manager rather than because of him - if you have Kane, Sterling et al then you can always nick a goal. But we put up with that kind of game just a couple of years ago when it got results for our club.

Genuinely don't know what it is or what is missing. Maybe it is age, maybe it is just being contrary. Maybe it is politicians condemning the team one week and then jumping on the bandwagon a couple of wins later. Maybe the last 18 months has had more of an effect than I thought. No idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here